“Nothing special” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 498 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A magnificent cathedral that houses Jonathan Swift's remains (he wrote Gulliver's Travels). It is the only remaining cathedral in Ireland with a daily sung services. A small entrance fee is charged for tourists and all money raised goes back to paying for the upkeep of the building.
Dublin, Ireland
142 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 265 helpful votes
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

A tour inside the cathedral costs 5.50 euro. I have not found anything special in there and I would have avoided it if I had knew it in advance. The cathedral is impressive though. I would recommend to pass there just to take a walk in the garden and take some pictures of the building.

2 Thank Andrea D
Andrewsmith62, Front Office Manager at Saint Patrick's Cathedral, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I was very sorry to read that you did not find anything special in the Cathedral. I think we have a collection of some of the finest memorials, sculpture, architecture and history to be found in Ireland. We do indeed charge 5.50euro for entry but guided tours which take place during the day are free of charge. Any money which we generate through tourism must go back toward the upkeep of this 700 year old building.

Andrew

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We heard the chorus sing and it was remarkable. Plus we saw where Jonathan Swift worked and was inspired by the people.

pawsmom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I must not be as cultured as the other reviewers here, because I was just amazed by this place! There was something interesting to look at in every nook and crany of the cathedral, and the architecture was mind boggling. How they contructed this cathedral without modern tools and machines is beyond me. The stained glass windows were so beautiful, even with the weather gloomy outside. The stone from St. Patrick's Well, where he baptised early Christians is housed here. A short prayer was said during our visit and all the visitors were very respectful during that time. If I ever come back to Dublin, I would definately visit this place again.

Denver, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awfully cranky”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

The church was on our must see list for our visit, but was a little disappointing. The cost to get in was 5.50 euros for adults or 4.50 for any student ID (even my U.S. college). My expectations must have been to high, as I've been in a lot nicer Catholic churches than this, but it was a little more of a dedication museum than a beautiful church. Sad to say, I felt like you could get the gist of adventure through Google Images rather than making the journey there. The staff at the store counter was cranky and less than helpful. She kept a countdown of when it was closing down.

1 Thank WaterboundB
Andrewsmith62, Public Relations Manager at Saint Patrick's Cathedral, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I must apologise profusely if you found one of our staff to be in any way "cranky". We get very busy around St Patrick's day and as you can imagine the Cathedral sometimes becomes a stressful environment. I am sorry if you were somewhat underwhelmed by the building itself. It is a little unfair to compare us with Catholic Cathedrals as we are an Anglican Cathedral and therefore the decoration and style are a little different.

Thanks for your visit,

Andrew
Springfield, Missouri
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Beautiful, enormous, amazing history!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Whether you are religious or not, the Saint Patrick's Cathedral is well worth a visit. So much history is packed between these walls. The cemetery is interesting although it is viewed through the fence. Be sure to check out the floors! Just a note, the restrooms facilities are nice and clean! Nice little gift shop that was reasonably priced.

1 Thank alr464