“Tired”

Ranked #92 of 532 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Housing memorabilia of Ireland's most influential writers, the museum has a recording of James Joyce reading from "Anna Livia Plurabelle."
London, United Kingdom
“Tired”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The information on the writers featured in the exhibition was interesting if a little tired in execution, but what about all the late twentieth and twenty first century writers such as Heaney, O 'Brien and Doyle? Its aim may be to focus on writers that lived and wrote in Dublin, but Ireland has such a rich literary heritage surely they could present a more modern and broader exhibition.

Visited July 2014

• Turkish first
Pribram
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Heaven”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

I love litersture and history and with the digital guide you obtain here you get both at once. I leared very much from the visit and even took.notes on what would be "the must" to be read in a future.

San Francisco, CA
125 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“Great information on writers- old fashioned low key place”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We really enjoyed our visit to the museum. Dublin has such a rich history of authors. The museum is housed in a beautiful Georgian building. it is not a super modern high tech glossy place by any means- very rustic- like an old house with very basic displays. But, the audio tour helped to bring it to life for us and was well done.

My six year old daughters even loved the audio tour- they had no clue what was being said most of the time but they loved the little "phones" they got to hold and type in the numbers. It kept them busy enough that we were able to listen to everything.

If you have an interest in these writers and the rich literary history of Dublin, I would recommend a visit.

Visited June 2014
Chicago, Illinois
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not the Best”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

As a literary person who loves to read and write, I was excited to head over to the Dublin Writer's Museum--which is a bit of a hike from the city centre--when I arrived, I was tired and worn out and then disappointed in it's execution. Like another reviewer indicated, the staff were not helpful or very welcoming--just kind of basic. They took our money (not a good value in our estimation), handed over telephone-style audioguides and set us loose. Sure, there was a wealth of information about each display (books, letters, typewriters under glass), but I found it a bit boring. And when they say "Dublin Writer's Museum," know that they mean that quite literally. Most of the authors are Dubliners and it may as well have been a James Joyce exhibit. I will say that I enjoyed seeing the 1899 first-edition of Bram Stoker's DRACULA, but that was about all. Also, the in-museum cafe was closed when we were there, which was a bummer cause we were starving and feeling a "travel hang-over."

Visited July 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Information, Poor Service”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I'm a Creative Writing Major and was super excited to visit here, but I was a bit disappointed. The staff there was not very helpful or friendly, and did not seem very happy that I was there. The information itself was fantastic, but it could have functioned better. The building itself was also a bit dingy, and felt stifling. I think I would have enjoyed it more with a more inviting atmosphere and staff.

Visited June 2014