“It's a pub ...”

Ranked #80 of 2,756 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dating back to 1198, The Brazen Head is officially Ireland's oldest pub.
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Supposedly, this pub is the oldest in Ireland, or something like this. The place is nice, and there is a nice court for smokers. The pub itself is not so big, and very busy with tourists taking pictures of a "normal" pub, as quite obviously the decor changed a bit in the last 900 years.

Overall, if you pass by, why not to stop for a pint, but you won't find the same atmosphere you can feel in some other very old pubs elsewhere in Europe (Papeneiland in A'dam and U Fleku in Prague, for instance).

Food is rather average to be kind, so I won't recommend that.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,650)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Heard lots of good reviews about this place.
Had lunch here with kids.
Loved the decor.
Not a typical place to bring kids. But the service was very friendly.
The food was good.
Will come back for sure when the kids are older.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

If I was judging The Brazen Head solely on the food on offer, the overall rating would be five stars. The cheese panini I had was absolutely gorgeous - in fact I can still taste it!

My colleagues, though, were left baffled by the service. I had asked for a soft drink with my meal as part of the meal deal but I had to request it on more than one occasion. Also, when we tried to get the attention of a staff member, they glanced on our direction, seemed to notice us but continued cleaning the table before retreating from view. Surprising to say the least.

This was a pity as I don't like to criticise hard-working restaurant staff, having had first-hand experience of same, and also as the meal was exceptional.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My family and myself had dinner here our first night in Dublin, and were satisfied with the meal. The menu was made up of traditional Irish fare: stew, bangers and mash, bacon and cabbage etc, that were prepared in a stalwart comforting manner. It hit the spot for us.

The irish music that played both nights we went there was lively, and the exterior courtyard offered us the chance to admire the old stonework of the original exterior of the oldest pub in Dublin, and to catch some fresh air in what was then a crowded pub. Worth a stop if you are in downtown Dublin, preferably when the Irish music or storytelling is taking place.

Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Good place to stop into for lunch before or after visiting Jameson. Nice place nice staff good food. Outside area for nice weather or smokers.