Mercantile Hotel
$164
$347
$245
$223
Dublin Skylon Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
$144
$173
$164
$204
$195
  • Restaurant
All reviewstemple bardame stgreat locationprovide ear plugsearly nightgreat bartrinity collegebit datedtop floorhotel is situatedbars and restaurantscity centreguinness storehousevisiting dublinfull irish breakfastolympianightlife
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Do not stay here if you want to get any sleep, but its the perfect place to stay if you want to be in the heart of dublins pubs and clubs and stay up all night. Decor is dated but Joe the receptionist was a very jolly happy gent.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Located between Dame and Exchequer Streets, this hotel is situated firmly within the Dublin nightlife and is convenient to most city attractions. Reasonably-priced, this is a good choice for partiers and active tourists. We stayed for the three nights, including a hectic arrival on Arthur's Day.

Attached to the Mercantile Bar, there is a lot of night time activity here, but the staff is rather friendly and the rooms are comfortable enough to provide some relief. Opening the windows on warmer nights will allow more of the street noise in, but this is the cost of a central location.

The wifi is not password-protected, so avoid logging into your sensitive accounts while on premises. The bathroom facilities are good for a building this old.

There are plenty of bars, restaurants and visitor attractions nearby making this an excellent home base for tourists, unless you're the type that needs nine hours of beauty sleep on a nightly basis. But who needs sleep? Get out there and go see the city!

Room Tip: Forget about trying to hide from the local noise and just enjoy your visit.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Agent_Jarrod
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I came over on a trip to Dublin for 3 nights. We decided to find accommodation when we got there (which we did easily - at the Travel Lodge, which I highly recommend.)
We passed by the Mercantile and decided to enquire about a room. The blonde woman at the front desk was absolutely rude to us, saying that we should never have come to Dublin without pre-booking accommodation, that we'll never find anything in the city this late and didn't we know, the day before had been 'Arthur's Day.' Upon hearing this, we asked what Arthur's day was, and she was completely short with us. "Guiness day, don't you know?!" ...
Needless to say, we legged it out of there and never ever intend on going back. As I mentioned, we stayed at the Travel Lodge - who have clean, spacious and comfortable rooms. I would suggest that if you are ever lucky enough to find yourself in the wonderful city of Dublin that you give the Mercantile a miss.
There's nothing worse than rude staff, they can put a damper on your whole holiday.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you enjoy rude staff.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Britney B
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Woman working there was very nice, forgot her name now. She was bit nuts but she was friendly and honest.
Room was clean, spacious and more than expected.
I would stay there again. Simple, non pretentious and Irish, I guess you can't get more Irish.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My sisters and I stayed here for 3 nights. The room was your pretty much average, budget hotel room with the old looking carpet, but the bathroom was actually surprisingly quite nice and clean.

The location was definitely a plus. I don't think I ever had to take public transportation to any of the popular destinations in Dublin (it's about 25 min to the Guinness Storehouse on foot).

The staff here are a plus. There was an especially very nice, very lovely and helpful front staffperson who looks like the Irish Twiggy. After getting caught in the rain outside, she helped us to a room right away.

Now my sisters and I slept fine because after all the travel and fun in Dublin, we pretty much passed out each night. But if you want a peaceful and very quiet night's sleep, this probably would not be the place for you. Actually, don't stay in the Temple Bar area if you want peace and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends