“Ideal Location! Good Value!”
Review of Ashfield Hostel

Ashfield Hostel
Ranked #11 of 115 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Chicago, Illinois
“Ideal Location! Good Value!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The hostel is in a great location. The airport bus drops you off right in front and it's only a few minutes away from Trinity College, Grafton Street, Temple Bar, etc. You get the convenience of the location but not the noise that comes with staying in the Temple Bar area. The breakfast is decent as well...cereal, yogurt, toast, jam, nutella, coffee and tea and on the weekends they also have hard-boiled eggs. The rooms are clean but they are showing their age a bit. They do have free wifi but it doesn't reach into the rooms. Front desk staff is amazing! They were super helpful and always had a smile for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RB78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at this hostel purely by chance by booking through hostelworld by reviews. This place turned out to be amazing. We needed someplace to stay cause are trip plans pretty much went down the toilet due to a car rental company screw up. We got there and we're met by a very friendly blond woman who I can not remember her name but I wish her the best with her studies. But when we arrived the place was very clean and there were people sitting around chatting. We went up to our room which was something like a 12 bed room called the ashfield room which was clean and the bathroom was ensuite which was very nice. We stayed there the first few days of our trip and met a Brazilian by the name of Carlos who we are now good friends with who liked the place so much he decided to use it as base of operations while he searched for a better job and and a place to live. We decided to go on a 4 day paddywagon tour and enjoyed staying at the ashfield house so much we stayed there again before we left for Scotland. And not that all of the staff weren't amazing but we like to give big than you to the woman who prepared breakfast for everyone every morning and to our favorite staffer there the harmonica playing Irishman Connor who's was not only unbelievably helpfull with directions and taxi bookings and local spots but for the sheer attitude he brought to the place and the funny conversations and jokes. If anybody I know ever needs a place to stay in Dublin i will recommend the ashfield house because of him. So Connor thanks!!!! And don't forget you owe me two goats and a wonky

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Alexander B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in a twin room. The ensuit had a broken toilet seat and there was mould and rot around the shower. The location is good. I warn people to be cautious about the staff giving public transport advice. I had to catch an early morning ferry and was advised to take the tram as it was right next to the ferry. IT'S NOT! It is a good 35min walk (with luggage) after the tram and I nearly missed my ferry. Maybe the staff aren't Dublin people

• Stayed September 2012
Padua, Italy
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The only reason for chose this location could be the position, realy near to Dublin centre;
But if you want sleep in a quiet room, stay away (the room overlooked on a busy and noisy street), if you want a merely clean stead, stay away (all ambiences are incredibly dirty!), even the sheets was really greasy, absolutely abhorrent (I'll try to post some photos of sheet, so you can see with your eyes); This “hostel” (but hostel is a compliment, the correct definition can be “gargabe with beds”) is severely unsavory; Basically my suggest is: find an other place to stay and keep away the people that you care!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CrookedPD
Georgina, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in Ashfield after experiencing a couple other hostels, and I must say, for spending the night in an 18 bed dorm I slept better than at competitors!

It is in a central location for exploring Dublin, real close to the tourist hot spots like Trinity College, the assortment of museums around St. Stephen's Green and temple bar just to name a few. I found the staff to be quite pleasant and helpful, though some items added a bit of confusion to my stay such as the automated locker system. Once it was explained it seemed reasonable, but a bit pricey compared with other hostels, and the luggage room leaves a bit to be desired.

Like I said, I slept well here even in such a crowded room. It helped that the guests I noticed were all older, at least not rowdy teens though it can't be guaranteed that everyone will be respectful of other guests but I lucked out.

The breakfast was fabulous! It helped feed me on a budget offering; fruit, eggs, cereals and more. I was really surprised and really happy with the spread.

Comfiest hostel beds by far, and the linens were fresh. The only downside to this place would be the overall upkeep of some public areas like the hallways where cleaning staff leave supplies out all day while tidying. It probably isn't an ongoing thing but it was a bit annoying to skirt around vacuum cleaners and bins during the mornings.

Seriously, go here if you want a comfy bed and want to avoid the youngsters that frequent the other hostels in the area. Great place, I'd definitely come back!

Room Tip: Ashfield Room was great, largest dorm I've stayed in and the best by far!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Pine Grove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed in a 4-bedroom ensuite for 3 nights. This hostel had everything I would expect. The rooms was not huge, but it was big enough. The beds were decently comfortable. The bathroom was big for a hostel I thought. Downstairs the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hostel had a nice cooking area, lounge area, and TV to watch the Olympics. Also, there was free Wi-Fi if you were in the downstairs area. And the best part of the hostel was definitely the location (only about a block from the Temple Bar District)! The only downside for this hostel was that it was a bit noisy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank roaddogg1983
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This place seemed ok online, and offered a great deal of services so I thought I'd give it a go.

It wasn't awful, just poor to average. I rented a single room which was TINY, and although I specifically asked in my booking to use a lift for my suitcase due to a leg injury, I was put in a room with 2 flights of stairs. In fairness the lady at reception offered to carry my bag for me.

The room didn't feel like it had been thoroughly cleaned, and there were white crusty stains on the duvet cover which grossed me out so much I didn't sleep under it. I reported it to the reception staff who were mortified and went to check it out.

The room was basic, the decor was really old, there were towels, no shower soap, tissues or shampoo, but good water pressure. It was warm. There was no wifi in the room, but a good connection downstairs. The male staff member downstairs with the beard was extremely fun and friendly, helping me out with directions and playing the harmonica which was really cool. I was able to store my bags in a secure locker for only 6 Euros.

This would have been an average stay were it not for the crusty stains on the duvet! A little mid of modernising and redecorating would lift this to average-good, providing the cleaners do their job properly!

Room Tip: Be aware there are no lifts to the single rooms, and make sure the room is cleaned properly first.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo