“Not great”
Review of Ashfield Hostel

Ashfield Hostel
Ranked #10 of 124 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

This hostel was just okay. The worst part was the cleanliness. The floors and the bedding was dirty in the roomService was fine and breakfast was also decent.

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed May 19, 2012

The best price I found in Dublin, great location. However, there is room for improvement as far service and cleanliness are concerned.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
A-Star-HostelsDublin, Manager at Ashfield Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Thank you for rating Ashfield House so highly, we are so pleased that you were happy with our prices and location. We are always striving to improve and raise standards across the board.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

My sister and I stayed here twice during our 2 week trip and the 2nd time wasn't as great as the first. The 2nd time we stayed, there was still hair on the bathroom floor and in the sheets so we won't sure if they washed them or even vacuumed the room.
Location is great, very close to College Bar area but not so close that there's a lot of street traffic and noise.
Pros: Staff was friendly, location, free wifi (but in common room only), breakfast in morning
Cons: not the cleanest, paint peeling in rooms
Overall, you can't expect much as a budget traveler but not a horrible experience. A lot of young people so great way to meet new people.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Thanks for the positive comments, we’re happy that you enjoyed the location of Ashfield House and found it a good place to meet new people while travelling on a budget. We take pride in our friendly staff, so we really appreciate the positive feedback.

Be assured that all of our rooms and cleaned and all bed lined is freshly laundered for each guest, as we have a robust system in place to confirm cleaning has been completed before allowing check-ins. Once again, thanks for your positive comments and for choosing to stay with us twice; we hope to see you in Ashfield House again.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for three nights in May and had a lovely time. We booked two beds in a four-bed female room but had it to ourselves the whole time! Some parts of the hostel look a bit run down, flaking paint and the like, but it was clean and spacious. The staff were very helpful and, when the printer wouldn't work, allowed me to print all my trip vouchers (quite a few pages) in the office for free. Also the showers were lovely, good water quality, excellent water pressure, you can turn the flow on and off without adjusting the temp, and the temp did not waver throughout the shower. It was such a lovely thing to come back to in the evening.

Cons: One major complaint is that the window looked out on a busy street and the curtains, while thick, really could not block out either the noise or the lights, which my friend found disruptive to her sleep. Also took a star off because of the computers/printers/wireless not working properly and because they use actual keys, not key cards, which I find less secure. Also the toilet, sink, and shower were in the same room, which in a shared hostel room can be inconvenient and I usually see them separately, which I prefer. There are also no lockers in the room or readings lights in the bed, and we had only one electrical outlet to use for presumably four people.

Room Tip: We booked a quad but it remained just the two of us all three nights. If you are a light sleeper bec...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for the positive review and we’re so glad that you and your friend had a lovely time staying with us in Ashfield House. We always try to give our guests a room to themselves if possible; we’re so pleased that you appreciated that, and that you found our hostel clean, our staff helpful and you enjoyed our famous showers!

We have invested significantly in providing all ensuite rooms, so that guests do not have to leave their rooms to use the bathroom, so we were surprised that you did not like this. We have taken on board your suggestions for improvements and thank you sincerely for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

One of the worst places I've ever had the misfortune of visting! On arrival despite prior booking, the receptionist on duty refused to check us in even though we had valid documentation and identification. He then went on to insinuate that my travelling companion and I were PROSTITUTES and he didn't let our sorts stay in the hostel! I was appalled and extremely offended by his allegations and when I asked for an apology he rudely told us to immediately vacate the premises! I would never recommend staying here to anyone and if I could give it 0 stars I would! WORST HOTEL IN DUBLIN!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

We have consulted our staff and bookings and have no record of this incident and no recent bookings from Canada. Please contact me directly [welcome@astarhostelsdublin.com] to give me the dates and details as we need to establish when/if this took place, as this is clearly unacceptable and if it occurred, we need to identify how it could have happened and ensure it never reoccurs.

For the wellbeing of our guests, we do have strict rules on allowing access to our hostel, which may have been poorly implemented by our staff on this occasion. If this is the case, we apologise for any offence caused to you and your companion.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

Absolutely brilliant stay! Went for my 22nd birthday. Lovely staff, always around to help. Very clean room. SO close to temple bar, we definitely made the most of the location. Felt completely safe. Would recommend to everyone who wants a fun time in Dubbers X

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank j k
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Last April (2011) me and 2 other mates went to Dublin for a 4 night Dublin session. We were all in the same room which was clean comfy and good value. Location wise is perfect, walk across the road and behind some buildings and your in Temple Bar area, walk across the bridge you have all the shops, walk in all directions for tourists attractions (i.e. Guinness factory, bridges, Aviva Stadium etc) Staff there were great made the holiday! Like the Irish they're very friendly and like a drink so take them out for one* and soak in the experience. Would recommend Ashfield house to anyone looking for a good Dublin experience in the heart of Dublin City. Would most certainly stay next time I am in Dublin!! No complaints

Room Tip: Room for 6 are comfy and spacious, if with a group try get a whole room together.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends