4,153 results
All reviewssaddle roomlord mayor's loungeheritage roombeautiful hotelfive star hotelst stephensmain bargrafton streetturn down servicetrinity collegetemple barmarriottconciergeirelanddoormanluxuryslippers
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We booked 2 Heritage Premium rooms at this hotel through Travelzoo who had secured a deal with the Shelbourne.We were going to the horse show in Ballsbridge and wanted to stay in a nice hotel.On arrival at reception we discovered that in fact our rooms weren't booked due to us not properly completing the booking on our computer.This was an extremely busy weekend in Dublin due to the Horse Show.For a moment we thought we were in trouble.The lady who was checking us in assured us she would try her best to secure us similar standard of rooms later in the day.She arranged for our luggage to be kept safely at the hotel.We went to Grafton St. got some lunch.When we returned to the Shelbourne reception desk Ms.Hird had got us 2 rooms not Heritage Premium but we were happy enough.Despite other poor staff reviews on this site,I found all staff very friendly and helpful.The food at this hotel is excellent.I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ardensedvirens
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We had previously stayed at the Shelbourne in December, 09 and excitedly looked forward to another great stay. I must say I was very surprised with all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor and wondered if we had made the right decision to revisit this summer. We were very happy that we stayed at the Shelbourne again as it was delightful, in some ways, even better than last time, due to some very positive changes in staff attitudes that we had previously encountered in the lounge. Our room was spacious, clean and grand. The bathroom is elegant and well-appointed. All of the staff personnel, including those in the lounge, were extremely gracious and accomodating. The breakfast, which was included in the price of the room, was excellent as well. The location continues to be perfect and this grand dame of a hotel is keeping her five star rating as far as we are concerned. Our next trip to Dublin will certainly include the Shelbourne.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathleen O
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We arrived for a significant wedding anniversary full of expectations and entered the impressive, marble-clad lobby. On opening the door to our 'Deluxe Queen' room, however, we were dumbstruck at the tiny size of the room, unworthy of any other hotel (let alone luxury hotel) we have ever stayed in. There was literally just room for the bed and a tight walk round it to the desk unit, complete with forbidding fully-stocked minibar - any item therein cannot be touched or it is automatically charged to one's bill. The bathroom was ridiculously tiny and the drain was full of hair. On returning to the room later that night, we discovered that the bedside lights didn't work, but were reluctant to deal with room service at night. On enquiring at reception I was further shocked to learn that they charge for WiFi access - is there nothing included in the prices charged by this hotel?
I was sorely disappointed by the room and felt very annoyed at the contrast with the ostentatious facilities available in the lobby and breakfast room, as well as the exorbitant price for what we actually got.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I had a weekend stay at the Shelbourne through a travelzoo offer, which made it reasonably good value. Our arrival was too early to check into our room, but that wasn’t a problem as our luggage was kept securely. I was told I would receive a telephone call to let me know that our room was available, but this never transpired.

The room we were allocated was very nice and spacious. I had requested twin beds, but they had none available and so an extra roll-out bed was put into our room. The extra bed was perfectly adequate and as the room was fairly large this wasn’t a problem. The bathroom was lovely and large, with a separate room for the toilet and a bath with a separate large shower cubicle. I did however, have to request an extra set of toiletries.

Although I had requested a room overlooking St Stephen’s Green, our room overlooked a side street, which was actually a good thing as the main road is quite noisy and busy.

Breakfast was included in our travel package which was a good thing because the prices were a bit steep. There was a wide choice of hot and cold breakfast items and the quality was good.

The location of the hotel cannot be faulted. It is within walking distance of the main shopping area(s) and most (if not all) pick-up points. The Dublin Connolly railway station was only a 15-20 minute walk away and there is a HOHO stop about 3 minutes walk from the hotel.

Our room was made up satisfactorily, but with two minor niggles. Our travelzoo offer included a nightcap of Irish whiskey and Baileys. As we had booked for two nights, we should have received another mini-bottle of each after the first night, but I had to request them (made me feel a bit tight-fisted). Also, we had used almost all of the bath crystals from the bathroom and I had deliberately left the lid open so that it would be filled up again, but housekeeping simply replaced the lid (when it was obviously almost empty). As I said, minor niggles.

We dined at the hotel on the Saturday night, opting for their early bird menu. The quality and service were good and was quite good value for money.

Overall, a nice hotel. Some of the staff at the hotel could have been a little more friendly though.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank eggsy_U
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Prior to this recent visit I had stayed at this landmark hotel many years ago. I had fond memories of the character and elegance the Shelbourne was famous for those many years. Unfortunately, I was not able to recapture that magic on my most recent visit. Reception area is cold and while I was deluged by offers of cake, ice cream or pink lemonade while checking in, it would have been less intrusive if there was a little welcome basket or some cookies and goodies in the room that could have been enjoyed at leisure. I was assigned my deluxe room only to find that it was not ready for occupancy once I got to the room. Back down to reception for a different room and to track down the porter with my luggage on his way to the former room. Not off to a promising start for a 5 star hotel. Air conditioning in room was not working properly and was extremely noisy. The choice was listen to the TV or listen to the AC. Rooms are extremely small but that is to be expected of an older, city center hotel. The bathroom was new and modern and most acceptable. Breakfast is good but skip the Oatmeal with honey. The Oatmeal was watery and most unpleasant. The bar is quite active during happy hours but the service was sub par. The bar itself could do with a little sprucing up and the prices were high as to be expected in a hotel of its reputation. It would be nice if some of the service staff were actually Irish but I found throughout my stay finding an Irish person in a service position was as hard as finding the mythical leprechaun and his pot of gold. There was no late night bar for hotel residents. Drinks were served in the lobby area but somehow that is just not the same. I didn't find the staff to be overly friendly or attentive. The hotel lacked warmth and the charm and elegance that I had experienced in the past was definitely lost. It is a shame because with just a little effort and some training in customer service and hospitality, this could once again be the Shelbourne of the past and "The Hotel" in Dublin's city centre on the Green.
By the way, do not use the telephone in your room. You could hire a messenger to take your message personally for what the telephone costs you from the room. Truly outrageous!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo