4,177 results
All reviews saddle room lord mayor's lounge heritage room beautiful hotel five star hotel st stephens main bar grafton street turn down service trinity college temple bar marriott concierge ireland doorman luxury slippers
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Stayed here for a 3 night stay, visiting Dublin for the first time. Got a great deal through TravelZoo and I'm glad it included Breakfast - not that we would have paid the 30 Euros each!! Overall everything was just OK - not what you'd expect from arguably the most famous hotel in Dublin. We had access to the Executive Lounge being Marriott gold members......food was ok, drinks never replenished so you had to go "cap in hand" every time you wanted a soft drink and the staff in there so miserable!

1  Thank noirmont
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I am just after returning home after a two night stay and I was very disappointed with my stay. We stayed in a Queen Room and it was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in numerous hotels in London and New York which have a reputation for small hotel rooms. The bed seemed smaller than a Queen bed to me as my bed at home is a queen and this was definitely smaller. The air conditioning was terrible which on two hot nights was not a recipe for a good nights sleep. In fact they were the two worst sleeping nights I have had at a hotel, sleeping with the covers off and still sweating. The air conditioning seemed to be on a timed switch and would automatically switch off after a while and you would have to turn the switch on and off again. The combination of the tiny room and bad air conditioning was a disaster.

Also, the room was not serviced on our 2nd day even though it was free to be serviced from 1.45pm to 4.30pm and from 6pm to midnight. We were very disappointed when we returned to the room after midnight and as I wanted it noted there and then, I rang reception but it took me 5 seperate calls before anyone answered.

On our last morning, I went down by myself to breakfast and was seated in an inside seat by the waiter who had to pull the table out for me to acess the bench seating. The table was right by a doorway and he had to pull the outside seat out to move the table for me but when he moved the table back in, he forgot to tuck in the outside seat which was halk blocking the doorway. I thought to myself, no problem, any of the waiters to pass would surely move it in to place as they and customers carrying their breakfast had to walk sideways to fit between the doorway and the chair. At least 5 dirrenent waiting staff passed numerous times and did nothing and after a few looks from other diners who had to manouvre around the chair and with me beginng to feel uncomfortable, I had to do it myself. You might say, no big deal, but terrible service at a 5 star hotel for the price I was paying.

A couple of positives to save it from a 1 star rating from me is that it is in an ideal location and the Bar is very lively with a good atmosphere.

1  Thank MunsterLiam
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We loved our weekend stay at The Shelbourne! The hotel is in a great location off of St. Stephen's Green and is an easy walk to most Dublin sites and Grafton Street. The room was very nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast which was included with our package was very good. We were leaving early on our last day and they delivered breakfast to our room, which was great. We did have dinner one evening and that was just OK. The Shelbourne is a beautiful and comfortable hotel in a great location and I could not ask for much more.

1  Thank fletch608
Reviewed July 25, 2010

A Great Hotel in a suberb location. Friendly , attentive staff. The mattresses and sheets were simply a cocoon of perfection. Breakfast was a delight over which to linger. The Lounge was perfect for afternoon tea or a night cap.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

Stayed here for a few nights for a friends wedding. The stay started well as we were offered delicious pink icecream in cones topped with hundreds and thousands while waiting to check in. Sadly customer service went downhill from this point onwards - the girl checking us in did not even acknowledge me (but was courteous to my husband), the start of a series of 'sub-optimal' encounters with various staff members.

The hotel itself is elegance and decadence personified. All the public areas are grand, clean and awe-inspiring. The 'standard' room we stayed in was also agreeable - an exceptionally comfortable bed, a nice bathroom with powerful shower and a generally 'luxury' feel.

Its location in Dublin also cannot be faulted and I recommend it highly for this.

However, while the hotel is undoubtably 5*, the customer service was bitterly disappointing. Having stayed in other hotels of this standard (the Oberoi group being my benchmark of perfection) I have never before found it so hard to attract the attention of staff while having breakfast or dinner... at times they seemed to be actively avoiding eye contact. At no point did anyone give any indication of an inclination to do more than the absolute minimum, let alone any inkling of a possibility of 'going the extra mile' that staff at such hotels often manage seemingly effortlessly.

As other reviews have noted, their charge of 20 euros per DAY for internet access is absolutely shocking... even some McDonalds offer this for free....

Would I recommend it? Well, its a beautiful hotel and its location is great, so yes, but had the service been any worse these attributes would not have been enough to compensate.

1  Thank AnonEeMouse