“Top Drawer”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
“Top Drawer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Stayed here last time for family occasion. Always a treat and your always made feel like your as important as some of the celebs who may frequent this establishment.This Hotel is a blueprint for any establishment. "Treat all your Guests as Royalty."

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to look after you and your family on your recent stay. At The Shelbourne Hotel we strive to make each of our guests feel special, I am delighted to hear that you felt this. On your next visit to Dublin please do not hesitate to contact myself or any of the Guest Relations Team as it would be our pleasure to look after you and your family again.
rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southwold, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed here 17 years ago and it's still a pleasure. We had a lovely room and the service was excellent on the whole. Dinners in the restaurant were very good, although we missed the opulence of the old dining room. Staff are invariably pleasant. Location is very important and the hotel is situated on the lovely St Stephen's Green and a short walk from most of the places you would want to visit. Only caveat I have is that it is too obviously determined to cultivate an American approach to everything - I do not expect to have to ask for a translation when making a choice of the way I like my eggs cooked at breakfast ! Ireland should be proud of its own heritage and not be so keen to offer visitors from the US a 'home from home'.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read of how our central location really benefitted you during your stay. After 17 years it is great to hear that we can still create an enjoyable stay for you. At The Shelbourne we are always striving to improve, we appreciate feedback and utilise it all the time.
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband brought me here for the night as a birthday surprise. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was just lovely. The hotel was spotless, warm and very welcoming. The breakfast delicious and overall we had a really nice time. Obviously the location is just superb on many levels. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your birthday surprise and that our hotel had the opportunity to add to your special occasion. We strive to provide each guest with a warm welcome and I am happy that you felt this at our hotel.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Superb location right on St Stephen's Green in the centre of the city. Extremely friendly and helpful staff, beautiful bars and public areas - especially the Horseshoe! Our room was extremely luxurious and spacious. Breakfast was excellent and the selection very wide. Love this place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read of your enjoyable stay. We are very lucky with our location and I am happy that this added to your experience. Our staff will be pleased to know that they also played a role in creating a memorable stay for you.
On your next visit to Dublin please do not hesitate to contact me directly as it would be a pleasure to assist you with your next reservation.
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Stayed here for a night in Dublin, really nice hotel.RIght in the center of everything,take a right and your beside the grafton street,Dawson street,Kildare street all the tourist sightseeing venues before your eyes.Across the road is st Stephens green beautiful park in the heart of dublin full of people just walking around,having lunch or just lying down and relaxing, really beautiful.Take a left your beside merrion st, big museum here, or just wall to baggot st,alot of nice bars here. The hotel itself was really nice the room was spacious, the view wasn't great, but it was really busy there at the time there was some horse show event on.THe staff were very polite and professional,the bar downstairs was amazing and full of all types of people, great vibe in it.The best part was breakfast the next morning, the buffet was amazing,full Irish breakfast, fresh squeezed juice, omelette made to order, different breads, fresh fruit, teas coffee, everything you could want.A wonderful experience and would recommend the shelbourne to anyone staying in dublin.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank shanecar
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your lovely comments about your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed everything, and that you found breakfast to be such a treat.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

If you book through one of the websites that offer special discount deals you are in for a shock.
Special discount equates to poor accommodation.
The room was at the very back of the hotel,tired worn look and a night time surprise of some friendly bed bugs.
At breakfast we were shown to a back room even though there were tables near the front close to the self service breakfast,I was told these tables were reserved for tourists from the USA.
Breakfast was of poor standard with the self service in a very confined space
Save your money and book elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank OlderandWiser2014
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was disappointed to read of some of the experiences detailed in your review.

I would like to invite you to contact me directly to further investigate some of the issues raised. If you could please provide me with your reservation and stay details, that would be much appreciated.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Sophie Hird
rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com
Germantown, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on Marriott points.

The hotel is quite beautiful and blends the new with the historical features of the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel, the hotel staff assisted me with my bags and escorted me to the check-in area. The woman who assisted me with check-in was less than friendly and acted as if I were interrupting her. I authorized my credit card for room charges and received confirmation. I was given my room key and two complimentary beverage coupons, and then attempted to go to my room.

When I opened my room door, the room was in disarray; it was quite clear that this room was undergoing renovations. The furniture was pushed into the center of the room, the lighting was disassembled and paint buckets were everywhere.

On my way to the hotel lobby, a hotel staff person found me and apologized for the mistake and took me to my new room. After seeing the earlier room, it was quite clear that I had been upgraded (I'm not sure if it was because of my Marriott Elite Rewards status or because of the mistake; either way, I was appreciative).

The hotel room was beautiful and comfortable; my only complaint was that the mini-fridge was not usable for anything other than the pre-stocked items.

There is no executive lounge at this hotel for Marriott Elite Rewards guests so I went to the bar to use my free beverage coupons; when I tried to pay the tab, I was informed that there was no credit card on file and I was not authorized to charge to my room. This was quite embarrassing and frustrating since I had authorized my card earlier in the trip. I had to leave my traveling partner at the bar while I went to the reception desk to present my credit card for the second time.

As a Marriott Elite Rewards guest, breakfast was included with my room. Breakfast was very nice and offered a variety of options. To note - this is not a casual breakfast environment. I felt out of place without a collared shirt. In general, I did not feel comfortable lounging in the hotel lobby or bars in casual clothing.

I made use of the fitness center and it was impressive. There were actually three rooms, each offering different types of equipment. Of all the people I encountered at the hotel, the fitness center staff was the friendliest and most helpful.

Overall, I don't know that I would stay here again. I think I would have preferred to stay in a less "luxurious" hotel where I would have felt more comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the park (St. Stephen's Green) have the best views, although I'm almost cert...