“Others could learn a lot”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #19 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed February 22, 2014

From the minute you arrive to the minute you leave, customer service is evident throughout. The hotel is ideally located right in the middle of everything - very nice rooms, excellent food and customer service that others really could learn from. I look forward to staying at the Shelbourne again.

Room Tip: A regular room normal size for any large city hotel and perfectly fine - the suites are very nice if...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the service provided throughout the hotel.

Thank you for choosing our hotel to visit while in Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We enjoyed staying at the Shelbourne in Dublin. Any concerns were addressed thoughtfully. Loved being able to walk to most places. St. Stephen's Green is right across the street and a lovely park to walk through and enjoy the day. O'Donoghue's Pub is right down the street where you can enjoy a Guinness and Irish singers. The museums and library are right around the corner. Trinity college is up the street. Across from the hotel is a staging area for the "tourist" buses and Grafton Street is a short walk. We arrived hoping for an early check in... though they could not give us a room they arranged for us to shower in the spa and held our bags so we could go exploring. We were able to get the "190 Years of History" rate that included breakfast. The breakfast is amazing and the staff does their best to make you feel at home and satisfied. Had a relative meet us in the Horseshoe Bar in the hotel...it was quiet and a great place to sit and chat. Overall, I would say we had a wonderful stay in Dublin! Can't wait to go back!

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin and for writing this wonderful review. It was our pleasure to host you. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and its proximity to the local amenities.

Thank you once again for visiting The Shelbourne hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel has a wonderful reputation and it is well earned. We were treated exceptionally well by every employee we came in contact with. The concierges were extremely helpful, the spa was lovely and the bars and restaurants were very popular and a great places to spend time.

Don't think I have anything negative, would stay there again with hesitation.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was thrilled to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that the concierge was able to assist. It was our pleasure to host you and we are glad you enjoyed your experience in Dublin.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel, I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Had a midweek stay here last week, very impressed, first time here, the manager Stephen Hannely and his staff, Shauna, Sandor, Yasmin and Jack were so helpful, highly recommended. Location is excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to note that you have specially mentioned a number of my colleagues who will be thrilled to read your comments. They will be delighted to see that you appreciated their service.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We checked in on a Friday at 2.30pm and were told that the room was not ready till 3. I had rang ahead the Monday before to arrange an early check in. I was told that they will not know until Friday morning if a room will be available and to ring back then. I rang back early Friday morning and I was told that it would be OK to come up as a room should be available. When we arrived at 2.30 I was told that the room was still not ready. I had previously explained that we had to be at a wedding down the road at 3 and needed somewhere to freshen up. Luckily a friend of mine had been given a room and we used that room. We left our bags in reception and they said we could pick them up with our room key when we returned later. This wasn't a great start but we got over it.
After we got back to from the wedding it was approx 2 am and we got our room key and were told our luggage would be sent right up. 20 mins later, the luggage finally came up. We had one bag each and this pretty much took up the floor both sides of the bed. The room was very small. Just enough room to walk around the bed, no chairs to relax on. Bed was the only thing to sit on. The bed was lumpy and had a duvet under the bed sheets for some reason, which did not make for a comfortable night sleep.The vanity unit had a TV instead of a mirror, so my girlfriend had to use the bathroom mirror which is not as easy when it all fogged up from the shower. The bathroom was also very small, the shower was big but the sink and the toilet were very close to each other. No bath either, which I was very surprised by. The whole room was fine if you were just looking for somewhere to sleep for the night but not suitable for anyone looking for somewhere to relax. The paint was chipping off the door frame and the carpet did not look clean. Also there were water rings on both bedside lockers, not the cleanest i've ever seen. The view out the window was looking accorss at more rooms.
The next morning we got up and had breakfast downstairs. This was excellent. The staff were friendly and efficient and the food was fantastic. There was enough selection to suit every pallet, from cereals to fruit to jams and fresh honey, to the full irish breakfast and if you wanted anything else all you had to do was ask and the chefs would prepare it for you.
We went back up to our room at 11.30 to prepare for the 12.00 checkout. when we got in, the whole room had been cleaned. Our bags were still in the room so the cleaners must have know we had not checked out yet. Maybe they thought we were staying another night. If they did think we were staying then the next guests would have ended up with the same sheets and pillow cases as we used. I messed up the bed a bit just in case to let the next guests know. All the towels were changed and folded too. We freshened up and used a couple of small towels and threw them back in the shower.
The valet service was fantastic. Once I handed my ticket to the guy at the door, he arranged for the car to be brought back around and organised our bags.
All in all, it was an average stay, which is disappointing for Dublin's most famous hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out over Stephen's Green.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was disappointed to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay. I would be delighted to discuss the issues you have mentioned in more detail and clarify some of the issues you have mentioned. Please email me at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

On another note, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the friendly service. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you have experience due to these issues. Thank you for bringing them to my attention.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We love this hotel and always try to visit every year with our 6 year old. We stayed in a heritage room overlooking the park ( ...........my Irish Central Park as I call it as we are frequent visitors to New York). The beds were so comfortable. The staff were very polite and accommodating at all times. Even at breakfast when havIng to queue at the busier times, it was nice to be seated in the Lord Mayors lounge with coffee and orange whilst a table became available.The staff profusely apologising for our wait ( which clearly wasnt an issue) . We stayed here for 2 nights before going onto the West of Ireland to see family. The Shelbournes History room was very interesting - make sure you visit it ( off the Reception area) . Overall a lovely start to our trip to Ireland. Proud to be there for the short time we stayed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this wonderful review and for taking the time to inform us about your stay. It was a pleasure to host you at The Shelbourne Hotel and we were very proud to serve you.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed the service and that you found the museum interesting. Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had an excellent overnight stay in the Shelbourne. From the first step into the hotel foyer, the staff were very attentive and pay attention to every detail. We received a complimentary room upgrade and it was a beautiful, sumptuous space. The breakfast the following morning was excellent. The pool and spa area are new and very well laid out. It is so worth staying in the Shelbourne from every point of view - I look forward to going back again in the future

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay and also the breakfast the next morning.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to away. I Look forward to welcoming you back soon.