4,149 results
All reviewssaddle roomlord mayor's loungeheritage roombeautiful hotelfive star hotelst stephensmain bargrafton streetturn down servicetrinity collegetemple barmarriottconciergeirelanddoormanluxuryslippers
Reviewed August 8, 2008

No doubt the location is excellent and the hotel does have nice features, especially the bedding. I reserved a deluxe parkview room with lounge acess--the best of the non suites. I did so based on the picture on the hotels website. Well, what do you know--the room assigned was not as pictured and when I complained, I was told that they only have 2 of that type and all the others are similar to what I was assigned which was not nearly as attractive. This really bothers me.
We changed rooms to a lower priced deluxe room which was quite small and had a balcony directly facing the post office 20 feet away.. The lock to the balcony door did not work but, despite my asking, it was not fixed.
The towels were terrible like the ones you are given at a health club.
I was especially perturbed by the absence of the doorman who on the 1 occasion that I saw him, was engaged in converstion with another employee and we were completely ignored.
In summary, the Shelbourne is not a 5 star hotel like the great hotels of the world. Instead imagine a Marriott in an older building which is not that grand.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pamshusband
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Our stay was part of a birthday treat to for my husband who had worked really hard over the year and deserved a mini break. I upgraded to a deluxe room which was disappointing in size. It was in the new part of the hotel. The older rooms, from memory of a stay back in 2004, were bigger and much nicer. I'm not too sure if those have changed since the refrub though.
We couldn't get a dinner reservation as the hotel was so busy despite booking weeks in advance. There was a queue (no joke) of people trying to get into the hotel for drinks. The Shelbourne is always busy in December but this was bordering on the ridiculous. Luckily we had brought our rooms keys with us as we had to show them on the door to get back in!
We then waited for 15 mins trying to get served in the Horse Shoe bar without any luck. The other bar was even more packed. Luckily the hotel had reserved the side drawing room for residents but we still had to wait 5 mins before we could get a seat. Once we did the service was excellent and the atmosphere was great with a lovely piano playing.
Best advice I can give you - don't stay in December and you will be able to enjoy the hotel, its great location and its atmosphere at a more relaxed less hectic pace.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Superbly located on St Stephen's Green, within walking distance of most of the main tourist sights and many excellent restaurants.
It has been superbly modernised, reatining the character of the older parts but adding modern convenience and comfort. It is decorated and furnished to an extremely high standard, creating a very luxurious atmoshphere.

We stayed in the Eamonn de Valera Suite which overlooks St Stephen's Green. On the third floor, it was spacious, very well decorated and luxuriously furnished. The bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in and, thanks to excellent double glazing, the noise from passing traffic was minimal. The bathroom was superbly fitted.

Our room rate included Continental breakfast and various other freebies in the Hotel's elegant Heritage Room. The quality of the food there was excellent, although it varied little during our 3 day stay.

On the Sunday evening, we ate in the Hotel's main dining room - elegant and relaxed, despite its formality. The service was excellent, as was the food (don't miss the oysters if they are in season).

Before we arrived, the Concierge was very helpful in booking us into 2 other restaurants we wanted to dine in (including the amazing but expensive Patrick Gilbauds).

I'd recommend using the Hotel's valet parking, due to Dublin's many one-way streets.

We would definitely recommend the Shelbourne for a comfortable stay in an excellent location.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KentManKent
Reviewed July 31, 2008

The Shelbourne is probably the most elegant hotel in Dublin, similar to New York's Plaza or Waldorf Astoria. We stayed here just one year after the complete renovation. The rooms were great, spacious and new in all amenities. However, the service was awful. Both hotelwise and in the restaurant. The Afternoon Tea was good value however service made it disappointing as well as the main restaurant and the bar. That said, located right across from St. Stephen's Green it is a great location, close to Grafton Street and the Centre.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank newyorklover12345
Reviewed July 30, 2008

I've just returned from Ireland which included a ten night stay at the Shelbourne in Dublin. I had requested the same room I had stayed in last year and it was ready and waiting for me upon arrival. There a few other less expensive and very tasty hotels in Dublin that would suit me fine but the Shelbourne is simply everything one needs, and all in one place. Great rooms; service; style; staff; food; drink; and LOCATION. I love this place. It's in the center of activity in Dublin City but with a quiet elegant ambiance (except for the two exceptionally lively and fun bars in the hotel). Will be back again next year.

• Stayed: July 2008