“Dining etc options most inadequate”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Dining etc options most inadequate”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Continuing bug bear I have with this hotel is this: apart from breakfast (which is very good) dining and bar facilities for residents are as good as non-existent. Reason: they are wide open to the general public and, any time I've been there, inaccessible/ unavailable for residents. So you are stuck with room service which is much too slow (presumably because all the other residents are also using it). On the plus side, staff are very friendly and the building is very nice but the facilities shortage is, in my experience, unique among five star hotels and therefore defining.

Stayed December 2013
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was disappointed to hear that you have continued to experience this issue. I would ask that you contact me at your earliest convenience so that I may reserve a table in our restaurant on your next stay and note this on your profile for all future stays. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

I would like to thank you for returning to The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to speaking with you.

JD Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ratoath, Ireland
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have been here for two afternoon tea's and both times I have not been disappointed. The staff are very friendly and attentive. I love the fact that you can change your tea with each course of afternoon tea which they serve in stages rather than the usual three tier. It gives you a chance to sample some of the more elusive teas that you might not see on everyday menus. It would be great if they did a chocolate afternoon tea as both times I think there was only one dessert that included chocolate flavours.

The setting is very beautiful and they always have fresh and unusual floral displays in the Lord Mayor's Lounge.

Room Tip: If you have a larger appetite, you can ask for a second serving of the first course of sandwiches.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Afternoon Tea in The Lord Mayors Lounge. The different teas are a great way to experiment with the flavours provided through the different courses on The Afternoon Tea. I will certainly pass along your comment to our Pastry chef.

Our in house florist will be delighted to note that you enjoyed her floral displays. Thank you for taking choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest regards,
Atlanta Ga
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We booked this hotel as the last night of our trip through Ireland. We began our trip in Dublin at the four seasons, and should have done our last day there. The atmosphere at the Shelbourne is wonderful and the staff is professional. It's a great place to go have oysters or dinner or drinks and just hang out. The rooms, however leave much to be desired. There is nothing luxurious about them and they are small. We saw 3 so I can say that if you want a decent room, go for a suite. Even a mid-level room is just not exciting in any way. Also, be sure to verify that your room has a view, the alternative is pitiful. The restaurant is great and we would return to the Saddle Room.

Room Tip: Suite if you need more than a matchbox, and view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed the atmosphere, the Oysters and the food. I was disappointed to learn of your experience with the room but would love to discuss this by email. Please email me at your earliest convenience should you wish to provide more information on your stay.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to hearing from you.

Belfast
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I took my little Godmother for a girls Christmas shopping trip to Dublin and there can be no better place to stay in town than the Shelbourne. The staff were so friendly, attentive and professional and we were wonderfully cossetted in the luxurious surroundings of our Heritage Room overlooking the Green. Thank you JD and all the staff, this trip will now become an annual event!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Shelbourne Hotel. I would like to sincerely thank you for your mention and that I could be at your service for your stay. I am delighted to note that you and your grandmother enjoyed your Heritage Parkview room and that you found the team that was at your service to be attentive, professional and friendly. It was our pleasure to have you and your grandmother with us.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I remain entirely at your service.
Warmest regards,
Mount Holly, North Carolina
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in November. Another couple traveling with us also stayed four nights here. I am sure the staff and guests will be happy when the construction out front is finished. It is a busy place with a nice lobby and historic side rooms for sitting and having tea. Breakfast was included with our rooms and the buffet was quite nice and comprehensive. The staff was very friendly and packed us a to go breakfast when we did an early day trip. The heritage bar was great but always very crowded. The location was not bad for tourist activities as it is on St. Stephens Green. Our rooms were okay but not overly special. Beds were comfortable but rooms were warm and a bit dry. Making the room cooler helped us sleep better. We are loyal to Marriott and that was a reason we stayed here. Overall positive experience.

Room Tip: Ask for Heritage room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay overall. It was a pleasure to host you during your trip to Dublin and that you found the hotels location to be at your advantage.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne, A Renaissance Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest Regards,
Northern Ireland
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I travelled with my husband and my two children aged 3 years and 6 months. We were really looking forward to spending time in a five star hotel. Some aspects were wonderful but unfortunately some weren't what you would expect from a hotel of this calibre.

Upon arrival we were immediately helped by a lovely doorman who took care of our bags and our car. We were escorted inside and met by a very friendly lady who whisked us to the reception desk.We were given a glass of mulled cider and some ginger biscuits which were lovely. The lady at reception desk was very friendly and helpful. She told us that we had booked a king room with a roll away bed and a cot but that she would place us in a room with two double beds. I had no quibbles with that until I reached the room. Firstly, the corridor to the room had two steps along it meaning that it was awkward to transport the baby in the buggy. The room was very disappointing. It was very small and it had two tiny double beds. My husband and I are both very tall and we would have barely fit in the bed. There was no baby cot inside but it would have barely fitted in had it been there. We phoned and spoke with another very helpful lady who agreed to let us see another room on the 6th floor with more space (a king room which we had originally booked). It had more space (although I wouldn't describe it as a very spacious room) and a little single bed for our 3 year old. There were steps down to a little area before the bathroom where the cot could be fitted. The second lady was very lovely and recognised us again on our way in to the hotel after being out for a walk. The lady who checked us in saw us and apologised for the room move.

The breakfast each morning was lovely. We all really enjoyed it. We had 'supper' in the Lord Mayor's Lounge the second evening (we booked after the first night just to ensure we could spend some time in the hotel's communal area in the early evening). We weren't told that it was three courses that were served at once until we actually arrived in the lounge. We didn't want to have three courses but had no other option and the food portions were very small for the price.

As indicated, I had high expectations given that it was a five star hotel but again I was disappointed by the room. It was not as luxurious as other reviews had suggested the rooms were. I have stayed in better 4 star hotels room-wise.

A few things listed below really did disappoint me however;-
* We had to request the cot for the baby three times before it finally arrived at 7.40pm.
* No towels were provided for our children.
* The tissues were not replaced on the second day. One was placed on top but there were no further tissues underneath.
* The face cloths were not replaced on the second day.
* The room was incredibly hot even with the noisy air conditioning unit being on full blast. My three year old and I had a terrible second night's sleep due to the heat.
* The lobby area only had two seats by the Christmas tree. There was no substantial seating area to sit and take-in the ambience of the lobby.
* I appreciate that we stayed in December but the hotel was completely rammed from 6pm on in the evening. We could not get a seat anywhere downstairs so we were confined to our bedroom with our children.
* The water in the pool was too cold for the children.

I hate being so picky about the above but I really did expect more from this hotel. The staff we dealt with were lovely but unfortunately I don't think that that reason is enough to make me want to return to this hotel. I appreciate that we were staying at a busy time but I would try another hotel before returning to The Shelbourne.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LAH24
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am disappointed to learn of your experience and regret not having the opportunity to speak with you on check out about it.

I have noted your points raised and brought them up with each member of the management team responsible. In an effort to restore your faith in The Shelbourne Hotel and our brand, I would be delighted to discuss your stay with you by email at your earliest convenience. Please email me at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin with your family. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with family around Thanksgiving. Staff was very friendly throughout including a very early check in after our tiring flight from US. The venue is amazing with several bars and rooms that really seem to create a focal point for the social life in Dublin. Rooms are ok

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Raimo L
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the services provided by our team over your stay.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.