“Potluck and disappointing for an iconic location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
“Potluck and disappointing for an iconic location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Being a platinum marriott member you expect the best rooms and I didn't get it . My colleague also the same status and booked in the same time got a fantastic room , mine was tired odd shaped and views of nothing. So he was happy I was disappointed and as I stay 100 nights a year in marriotts I would expect a lot better .

Service was hit or a miss, I told the maître Di at breakfast I was meeting with a colleague he did not him to meet me, he also had asked for me

With so many staff they could have done so much better .............

Room Tip: If you are unhappy complain , I should have done .
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I was disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your stay and that it was not to your satisfaction. I would like to investigate some of the issues you have mentioned further. Please email me at your earliest at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel and for bringing these issues to my attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

JD Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
morecambe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My partner, my 5 year old granddaughter and I stayed here for the last two days of our five day break in Ireland from the UK.We haven't been to The Shelbourne for over a year, but as soon as you are greeted by the lads on the revolving door, it's as if we'd never been away. Staying here is more than just booking accommodation; you are buying an experience. Seeing some of the most professionally trained staff in the Irish Hospitality Industry in action is part of that experience ,together with the high standards of food and beverages adds to the pleasure of staying at The Shelbourne. Jane,the reception manager, runs a tight ship as the checking in process is always friendly and swift; not to mention the free lemonade and cookies....and of course, the occasional upgrade if they can do it. The breakfast service is the best in town with one of the nicest blends of tea I've ever tasted. Our granddaughter, Layla, thought it was "well posh" and wants to stay here again; and, of course, we will; that's a certainty.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra and ask for a 'Heritage room'. It's worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review of The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed the stay and that from the team on the door to Jane you were looked after.

Our team will be delighted to read these comments and they will serve as a great motivator for the future. Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you and Layla back again.

derry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent one night stay here. The Hotel is elegant, close to everything and the staff were truly professional. Alexandra in the restaurant was a star.

We will return and recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin. It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found Alexandra to be noteworthy of mentioning. I will pass your kind words to our restaurant manager who will share these with the team.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel.
I look forward to your return.

Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

My sisters and I decided to stay in the Shelbourne as a treat for one night in Dublin. I'm giving a rating of four stars for exceptional and thoughtful service - even if our room was quite old and tired (albeit immaculately clean). Our Room was not ready on check-in, there was a (child-size) cot as opposed to another double bed in our room and the chandelier in the bedroom rattled with ANY movement on the floor above. All issues were dealt with fairly and promptly on check-out (3rd person supplement waivered, comp-ed the the previous evenings cocktails as a goodwill gesture etc). The common areas are very grand in an old-school manner and the staff are exceptional. Don't think I'd stay again, would just prefer something more contemporary - but thats just personal taste and does not take away from the welcoming, professional and warm atmosphere at the Shelbourne..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to note that you found the service exceptional and thoughtful. I was disappointed to read of the issues you had experienced and that our team were able to look after you and rectify the aforementioned issues.

I am sorry to hear that you will not be returning to us but should you change your mind, I would be delighted to offer you my assistance in making arrangements. rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Kindest regards,
Harlingen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

This hotel and the staff, particularly Guest Relations Managers JD Flynn and Mirta are absolutely the best I have ever met. My husband and I had a medical emergency while staying at the Shelbourne and had to call an ambulance. The staff were there instantaneously and very professional. Handled everything competently and I felt totally reassured. They had my husband quietly moved to a waiting ambulance and they were just so compassionate and supportive.
Unfortunately since then, my husband has passed away but I will always remember the kindness of JD Flynn and Mirta. If I ever return to Ireland, I would stay nowhere else but the Shelbourne.
Rooms are very comfortable, beds are wonderful, buffet breakfast is awesome. Location couldn't be any better. Just love it!!!

Room Tip: If you are fortunate enough to stay at the Shelbourne, any room is great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear MarganneL,

Thank you for writing this review about your stay. Mirta and I thank you for your kind words. Our deepest sympathies are with you and your family at this time. We were saddend to hear of your husbands passing. May he rest in peace. It was our pleasure to assist you both during your stay.

We would be delighted to have you with us again and thank you for giving us the honour of being your hotel in Dublin. If Mirta or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

kind regards,

Saint John, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed at the Shelbourne Hotel when arriving into Dublin for a Ireland Tour. The hotel was just beautiful, very well maintained, the staff was great. Lovely dining area for High Tea, Dining Room for breakfast very nice, the breakfast buffet was delicious. Great selection, Also, you can order eggs the way you like them. The Shelbourne is in a great location, right across from St Stephen Green, a beautiful park to wander in. Grafton St is a very short walk from the hotel. A shopping center is right down the street. Lots of restaurants nearby. Location is perfect. The Shelbourne is such a wonderful experience, we would stay again while visiting Dublin. The hotel has hosted many rich and famous people and I can see why! There is a little museum near check-in and it tell about famous people who have stayed at the hotel, very interesting. If in Dublin treat yourself to the Shelbourne, you will love it. The rooms were decorated very nice, the beds were great, the entire experience was wonderful. The also have a wonderful Spa but we didn't have a chance to experience it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank tagent22
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was a pleasure to host you for your stay. I am glad to note that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and that you had the chance to visit our very own museum.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future. Not visiting the spa on this occasion will give you a great reason to return.

Enniskillen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed here last November - my last trip before our baby was due and had to say overall experience was lovely - we had a lovey spacious room with additoinal living space- bathroom was great - breakfast was fabulous - wonderful selection
We had afternoon tea - have to say was just ok was very crowded that day as Ireland rugby team was in and even though we booked in advance they didnt have our reservation - needless to say this was rectified quickly but I dont think it was worth the price -have experienced AT it in other 5* hotels and have been more impressed
Concierge service was great and I hope to come back to this charming hotel which is in a great location

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tmgilly85
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin. It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay last November and that you found the room and the breakfast to your satisfaction.

I was truly disappointed to read about your afternoon tea experience, I will pass along your comments to our team. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and should you be returning to The Shelbourne in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com