“Lovely stay at the Shelbourne”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #19 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
“Lovely stay at the Shelbourne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here in March, it was our first stay at this hotel. We arrived on a very wet/windy night and the stafff came out to the car and made a great effort to ensure that we didn't get wet getting out our bags. We went with the valet parking which I would highly recommend. We were in for a lovely treat when we checked in. We had been upgraded to a suite which was beautiful. The room service was excellent. We had breakfast and lunch here, both of which were very good. I found all the staff we encountered to be very courteous and friendly. All in all a fabulous stay and the first of many I hope. My only gripe is that they don't have a bar that is for the exclusive use of guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gortboy
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on your first visit to Ireland. I am delighted to read that you have chosen The Shelbourne Hotel for your maiden visit and that this allowed you to discover the surrounding area better.

Thank you once again for staying at The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

JD Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wheaton IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our 3 day stay at The Shelbourne was a perfect introduction to our first visit to Ireland. First class all the way. The hotel is stunningly beautiful, every staff member is professional and warm, the room is quiet and comfortable, the breakfast and service is excellent. Right across the street is Saint Stephen's Green, a pretty park with waking paths. Walking distance to many major sites, including the Dublin Castle, Christ Church, Dublinia, Grafton Street, and Trinity College. I highly recommend staying at The Shelbourne, a wonderful experience in itself.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Margo L
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read about your positive experience during your stay at The Shelbourne. I am glad that the location of the Hotel suited your needs on this your first visit to Ireland. I have passed on your kind words of appreciation to our associates. I hope I am afforded to welcome back to The Shelbourne Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Golden, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here for seven nights in July 2013, in a room with a King and a full bed. The room overlooked a concrete roof of adjacent buildings.

This pros:

1. The property is beautiful and in an excellent location.
2. The rooms are quite large by European standards.
3. The bath amenities are plentiful and high quality.
4. The beds are soft and comfortable, with excellent linen.
5. The breakfast is quite good, and the waitstaff if friendly (albeit hurried).
6. Dinner in the saddle room was superb and fairly priced for a five star hotel's restaurant. The staff at dinner were exceptional.

The cons:

1. Upon arrival, they had misspelled my name and lost my MR number and status. Not as huge deal, but the receptionist's demeanor changed perceptibly (from VERY rude to acceptably cordial) upon discovering I was Platinum Elite.
2. I would describe the maid service and highly inconsistent. Some nights we had turn down, but no chocolates. Other times, the room was cleaned, but no water was left. One other day, they took one robe and left the other. Not a huge deal but kind of amusing.
3. While I absolutely understand this is a five star property and generally caters to business folk (being that I myself, am most often a business traveler, I understand). But, we did not feel comfortable here in casual, vacation attire (even relatively dressed-up vacation attire). The morning we left, I wore Lululemon pants (not yoga pants, but their regular black pants) to breakfast and the host literally sneered at me, lol. Just a bit of advice, plan to dress in a manner consistent with business attire clothing if you wish to feel appropriately dressed.
4. The bar was extremely crowded every night we were there, and it was impossible to find a table or a place to sit.

My overall impression of the hotel was that while the property was beautiful and in an exceptional location, the service was not consistent with what I expect for either a five star or a Renaissance property. It was like the staff simply could NOT believe that two, well groomed women in their 30s could afford to stay in their hotel, let alone have MR status. Inconsistent would be the most accurate descriptor, in my view.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank krista H
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel and for choosing the hotel for your 7 day stay. Thank you for mentioning the areas that you enjoyed and the areas that you felt we could improve upon.

I have passed many of the “con” points on to our departments so that they may see your feedback. On this note, I would like to investigate some of the issues you have raised and so I would ask you to contact me at your earliest convenience. rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Originally wanted to have tea at The Clarence but it was closed for renovation, so we decided on The Shelbourne. Very delightful, beautiful classic presentation, well appointed room and nice live pianist. There is a fantastic selection of tea to choose from and the tray of delicacies is very unique and yummy and scones are the best! I highly recommend this hotel because of its rich history and reputation whether its just a visit for tea or to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Balconylove
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your Afternoon Tea experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. We are delighted to have you join us for Dublin’s most elegant afternoon tea. Thank you also for adding the picture of your first course.

We change our Afternoon Tea menu regularly and the Afternoon Tea voucher is an excellent gift for any occasion.

We look forward to your return.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Had a lovely day out at a friends bridal shower in the beautiful St. Stephens Green Suite. The afternoon tea was excellent, I had pre ordered the gluten free Afternoon tea which was amazing ( well done as gluten free normally means tasteless and fruit salad). The staff were very friendly and helpful and even provided lovely take away bags as the food was so good we didn't want to leave it behind. Just need another excuse to go back for another treat..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Edentate
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Shelbourne Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to review your Afternoon Tea experience in The St. Stephen’s Suite. I think that this is a wonderful place to enjoy the experience of Afternoon Tea with friends.
It was our pleasure to look after your party on this special occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you back. Please contact me should you need any assistance for future reservations, I would be delighted to assist. I will have the treats ready.

Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had a free stay on Marriott points and got a great room and treated like royalty. Always had turn down, chocolates and a welcome bottle of wine. Very comfortable bed and although I didn't have a view of St Stephens Green I did have a balcony. Generous room. I wish the bathroom had some drawers. it was hard to keep it neat and I put away my stuff back into my bags everyday. it would have been nice to unpack the bathroom. No outlet in bathroom so had to dry and curl hair out by the desk. No need for electric outlet charges they have a strip in the wall to accomodate US electronics. No need to take an umbrella, one is provided in your room for your use. Nice and big too. I was especially impressed that I was allowed to check in at 9 am since I had an early fight in - that made it easy to take a nap insead of wandering around til 3 pm. Rooms are very clean and updated. i would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor and away from the elevators. You may end up with a view of an office buildin...