“Tea at the Shelbourne”

Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Los Angeles, California
“Tea at the Shelbourne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Originally wanted to have tea at The Clarence but it was closed for renovation, so we decided on The Shelbourne. Very delightful, beautiful classic presentation, well appointed room and nice live pianist. There is a fantastic selection of tea to choose from and the tray of delicacies is very unique and yummy and scones are the best! I highly recommend this hotel because of its rich history and reputation whether its just a visit for tea or to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Balconylove
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your Afternoon Tea experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. We are delighted to have you join us for Dublin’s most elegant afternoon tea. Thank you also for adding the picture of your first course.

We change our Afternoon Tea menu regularly and the Afternoon Tea voucher is an excellent gift for any occasion.

We look forward to your return.

Kind regards,

JD Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Had a lovely day out at a friends bridal shower in the beautiful St. Stephens Green Suite. The afternoon tea was excellent, I had pre ordered the gluten free Afternoon tea which was amazing ( well done as gluten free normally means tasteless and fruit salad). The staff were very friendly and helpful and even provided lovely take away bags as the food was so good we didn't want to leave it behind. Just need another excuse to go back for another treat..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Edentate
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Shelbourne Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to review your Afternoon Tea experience in The St. Stephen’s Suite. I think that this is a wonderful place to enjoy the experience of Afternoon Tea with friends.
It was our pleasure to look after your party on this special occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you back. Please contact me should you need any assistance for future reservations, I would be delighted to assist. I will have the treats ready.

Kind regards,

JD Flynn
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had a free stay on Marriott points and got a great room and treated like royalty. Always had turn down, chocolates and a welcome bottle of wine. Very comfortable bed and although I didn't have a view of St Stephens Green I did have a balcony. Generous room. I wish the bathroom had some drawers. it was hard to keep it neat and I put away my stuff back into my bags everyday. it would have been nice to unpack the bathroom. No outlet in bathroom so had to dry and curl hair out by the desk. No need for electric outlet charges they have a strip in the wall to accomodate US electronics. No need to take an umbrella, one is provided in your room for your use. Nice and big too. I was especially impressed that I was allowed to check in at 9 am since I had an early fight in - that made it easy to take a nap insead of wandering around til 3 pm. Rooms are very clean and updated. i would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor and away from the elevators. You may end up with a view of an office buildin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
GuestRelationsDublin, Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2016
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of The Shelbourne, here on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Shelbourne very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

The lobby is gorgeous. Our room was beautiful. The beds were so comfy. The bathroom was very modern. The room was great. The breakfast was delicious. They had everything that you could ever want for breakfast! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Kinsale, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

The best staff service ever. Without exception every member of staff at The Shelbourne, was professional , courteous, helpful , friendly and very smart. They made you feel so welcoming without being intrusive. Our room was a decent size, spotlessly clean with high spec furniture. The shower was amazing, with a good size bathroom, and lots of quality courtesy toiletries. View from our room a little disappointing as it faced a dreary office block(fourth floor) , however the standard of the room made up for the view.
Great location, lots to do within walking distance.Breakfast had a great choice on offer , which was of the highest standard.
Would love to return for a special occasion. I'd ask for a front facing room next time.
Watch out for the mini bar , prices are very expensive. (Three fifty for a Kit Kat!!).
Customers definitely come first at this hotel .Worth treating your self.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Acton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 10 days at the beginning of July. The location is stellar across from St. Stephen's Green and in the heart of best walking areas in downtown Dublin. Here is what I found favorable about this Renaissance hotel:

1) The staff genuinely tries to please. They are cordial and eager to help.
2) The concierge, Keith, is extraordinarily knowledgeable and helpful.
3) The hotel is clean, the beds are very comfortable, although the pillows are not always the newest but this easily remedied, so just ask if yours are flat!
4) The breakfast buffet is quite extensive, and of good quality.
5) The location is fabulous!

Here is what I found less than ideal for a hotel in this price range and cachet:

1) The breakfast buffet is often overcrowded and difficult to maneuver as it serves more people than the room can handle comfortably. The staff does their best to oblige but the feel is of people running around and/or jockeying to get what they need in a line and then navigate back to the table without being bustled into. A solution to this might be to have the hotel use their large bar and/or tea lounge as an overflow breakfast area for those who might just want coffee, tea, cereals and fresh fruit, or, just set up another breakfast area! This would be the right thing to do, especially on weekend. It seems a poor choice that two large and lovely seating areas are empty while the breakfast room is crammed and busy.

2) During our stay there was a pervasive lack of communication for what we requested and what was done. It was almost as if, we joked, they didn't speak English! For example, on our second night a party of drunken laughing young women were in the room next to us and after waiting a while for them to settle down, we called the desk to ask that we be allowed to sleep in another room for the rest of the night (it was 1:30am.) The desk attendant said he would call us back. Thirty minutes later, the girls still laughing and listening to loud television, we called the desk again. The attendant said he called to speak with them and they said they would quiet down. Not what we requested!

We again requested another room to sleep in. We got a call back stating that it would take a while for someone to get our bags. We clarify, several times, we just want to SLEEP in a different room; no need to move the bags. We waited another 15 minutes and then got a call stating there was a room with two beds, would that do? it was now 2:30AM and a bench in St. Stephen's Green across the street would have done just fine!

To add to this comedy, after settling to sleep in our temporary room around 3AM, we got a wake up call for the previous guest who had checked out as the hotel neglected to let the wake up service know that the guest was gone. When I explained this to the operator at 6:30 am, she really asked, "Are you sure?"

Continuing miscommunication occurred the next morning when I determined our party next door wouldn't be checking out for two more nights. I requested a new room, and was told that we should pack up our things and the staff would move them. We could go out for the day and when we returned, we would have a new room key and our bags would be moved. We did this, and when we returned, there was no new room assignment, no room key and the bags were still in the old room. Since I had turned in the old room key, I asked for it so I could shower and change for a show that evening. I was told I couldn't get do that, BUT, the bags would be moved promptly to the new room. I was told, "The bags will likely be there before you get there!" When I asked why they hadn't been moved, the reply was that the staff thought I wanted to look at them in the old room before they were moved. I asked, genuinely, "Why would I want to look at my bags?" and the desk clerk admitted it didn't make sense. Thirty minutes later, there were NO bags, so I called the desk and said I would get them myself. I was told I could not; there were 'in transit'. It's a seven floor building! This wouldn't be so bad overall if I hadn't been told otherwise, and, I had tickets to a performance so I just wanted to shower and change. In all, it took nearly an hour to get my bags from the 5th floor to the 4th floor, not including the six prior hours when they should have been moved in the first place.

We arrived back in our room another evening at 6pm and it had not been cleaned. We called to request that someone should clean it at the time of the turn down service at 8pm as we would be leaving in about an hour. Instead, an eager person arrived at our door in 5 minutes looking to clean it. She smiled and apologized as someone told her to get there "right away."

In closing, everyone TRIES very hard, but this hotel did not deliver the high touch, high service experience commensurate with its reputation. The building is grand, although the common areas are often overrun with people without preference for hotel guests (meaning, you might not get into the bar or tea room because they are often full due to other visitors or events at the hotel). The bedrooms are spacious by European standards and again, the location cannot be beat.

Perhaps I expect too much for the money, but I believe there may be a more luxurious option in this price range in Dublin that would deliver a better experience. My husband is a loyal Marriott resident as he is a frequent business traveler, so he has been in Marriotts of all style in many locations. He concurred that while it was not a bad experience, it was not the experience he expected for a Renaissance hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for higher level rooms (above 3) on the courtyard or back side of the building as they are the m...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rose1856
GuestRelationsDublin, Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2016

Dear Rose,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience here at the Shelbourne .I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the many aspects of your stay and I was delighted to read that you highlighted members of the hotel team for the positive service they delivered.

Thank you also for your constructive feedback and am sorry that your stay was impacted by having to move to an alternative guestroom. I would greatly value if you could contact me directly so that I can arrange a fitting apology.

Eamonn.casey@marriott.com
Olcott, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Used Marriott Reward Points for our stay. The only problem was the night before the hotel was full. When we arrived at 9:30 a.m. our room was not ready. They stored our luggage while we went out to play.

The hotel staff, every single one, was outstanding.

Great location.

You could not do better

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jim M
Dear Jim

Thank you for taking the time to post a “5 Star” review of your recent experience here at the Shelbourne.

I was delighted to read that the hotel team and the service you experienced positively impacted your stay in the hotel and that our central location made exploring Dublin simple.

Thank you for your review I will share your positive feedback with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.