“WOW EXPERIENCE”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #19 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 1 night stay at the Shelbourne Hotel and we were blown away by our experience. As it is an old hotel, we feared that it might be quiet "stuffy" and old fashioned but far from it. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left it was a most uplifting experience and has restored our faith in customer service. It was our first visit to the hotel and on checking in we were greeted by a fabulous receptionist who told us that she had upgraded us to a superior room which was a lovely surprise. The room overlooked the green, was quiet a big room and a lovely comfortable feel to it. Dinner in the Saddle Room was probably the best meal we have ever had in a hotel-the food was incredible, the wine list very extensive but again it was staff who excelled. Service was impeccable, staff were very discreet but thoroughly professional, nothing was a problem. Breakfast was equally good (sorry to see you didn't have your own home-made muesli!!!) with a huge choice. On checking out I asked if there was somewhere I could change later as I was attending a function in Dublin that evening and again I was advised that this was not a problem and on returning to the hotel in the afternoon to change, we were given the use of a bedroom to shower and change, again above and beyond what we had expected. All-in-all I would have to say that our experience at the Shelbourne was incredible, we have stayed at many fine hotels in many countries but this was right there at the top. Congratulations to the management and staff on running such a fine establishment, it is a credit to each and everyone of you and I look forward to returning there again in the near future. Well done to one and all, its no wonder you are as busy as you are

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing this wonderful review of your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am delighted to hear that the meal you had was one of the best in a hotel you have ever had. I have passed on your kind words of praise to my colleagues as they will also be delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back and should you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Kind regards,

JD Flynn

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed at the Shelbourne Hotel last weekend, the hotel was impressive looking. We hada a mojor problem with the Air Conditioning noise. It could not be turned off and was very noisy from the bathroom as it ran constantly. Also semed to be a noise from the units on the roof (we were on the fifth floor). I rang reception at 1 am and the said they would check with an engineer as there were no other rooms available, but no response. Later I ran back and said I was leaving the hotel, they ran back and moved me to the second floor which in fairness was better. I expected more from a 5 star hotel and also in their response to my complaint. The elevators were also giving problems. The hotel itseld is nice and the staff friendly but when staying in a hotel I think a good nights sleep is one of the more important things.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of The Shelbourne Hotel. I would be delighted to discuss the issues you experienced in further detail should you wish.

Please contact me by email at your earliest convenience as I would like to find out some more details of your stay. rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

JD Flynn

Reviewed May 8, 2013

A grand and imposing early 19th century hotel in the heart of Dublin, facing St Stephen's Green so very quiet. The Shelbourne has a luxurious but comfortable feel thanks to its traditional furnishings and decor (recently renovated). Attentive staff, and a really excellent breakfast (I didn't eat at any of the restaurants so can't comment on other meals). I spent 3 nights here - a perfect base for exploring Dublin and the surrounding area. It's very close to the main tourist and shopping areas - a short walk to Trinity College (Book of Kells), and 10 minutes from the main shopping street. The hotel staff gave me excellent advice and maps on nearby tourist sites. It's in a very safe area so you can walk back from the city centre at night without any problems (iconic Dublin pubs are about 15 minutes walk away - there's a wonderful "Literary Pub Crawl" the hotel can help you book, following in the footsteps of James Joyce etc). The Shelbourne is fairly expensive, but good value for money. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time and writing such a positive review about your recent experience in The Shelbourne Dublin, a Renaissance Hotel. I am very happy that you found the hotel historic yet comfortable as we at The Shelbourne aspire to hold onto old world luxuries while incorporating modern world comforts. I was pleased to see that you found the location of the hotel convenient and was a good destination to base yourself for your trip to Dublin.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Eoin Horgan
Guest Relations Executive

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Excellent! Service,Food & Very Friendly Staff. ...Afternoon tea was superb!! Bar very friendly...

Near to shops & theatres...

Easy Hotel for family to meet with us.

All round an excellent Hotel to stay in....Would stay again with no hesitation....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Went away as a group of 6 for a birthday, hotel gave a free upgrade as it was a 60th!
Location was good and service in the bars and restaurants was top class. The buffet breakfast was really nice and had a good selection. The ladies went for afternoon tea which they really enjoyed and came back very full! While us guys went to watch the football in a bar rounds the corner.
Great stay and would definately return.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is centrally located on St Stephens Green, near Trinity college and close to shopping and hop on hop off stops. The staff was accommodating and courteous, the hotel itself was lovely, clean, many restaurants and bars to choose from.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Only stayed for one night in March would have happily stayed for many more.
Room, food and service were all of a very high standard, throughly enjoyed the excellent breakfast.
There was a bit of a mix up over my mini bar usage but it was sorted in less than 2 minutes with no fuss and a smile, would most certainly use again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business