“Gold star service.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Lincolnshire
“Gold star service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have just returned from what started as a four day visit that had to be extended to a nine day one due to a health emergency. The hotel were extremely efficient and very caring during what was a difficult time.
It is a hotel we have always wanted to stay at and it did not disappoint. The location is ideal for sight seeing and shopping. St.Stephen's green is across the road and offers good jogging paths for those who like to keep fit amid pleasant surroundings.
If you want good service and helpful staff this is where you'll find it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manassas, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We recently returned from a 6 night stay at this historic downtown Dublin hotel. We booked our very first trip to Ireland through United vacations and I chose the Shelbourne for two reasons - I am a Marriott Platinum member and the excellent reviews. Prior to our visit I emailed the concierge and filled out some check in paperwork and asked that my Marriott number be added to the folio so I could receive some benefits from any funds I spent at the hotel outside of the rooms (rooms booked through 3rd party agents are not eligible for rewards).

We arrived after our overnight flight to the hotel at 10 AM. As described by other reviews, the property is beautifully restored and smartly decorated. The lobby areas are very small and provide for some occasional bottlenecks.

Check in was what I would describe as chaotic.There was really no queue type of arrangement and people checking in or out were trying to be assisted by the 3 guest associates. There were no rooms available when we arrived which was understandable. We were told to "check back in two to three hours" and they would see if something had opened up. As we were exhausted from the flight, we plopped down in the few chairs available in the reception area and waited. At 12:10 I got back into the make ship line and someone asked how they could help me. I told them I was checking if my room was ready and he told me to wait and he would personally check to see if it was The first sign of the service I had heard so much about. In a couple of minutes I had our room key and we headed up to our beautifully appointed room on the third floor in what I was guess was the second worst location in the entire building. (the first being one floor below us). Our room looked directly into an office building. (I could wave to the people during the week) and was directly above the trash/recycling cans which we could hear them fill and empty late in the evening and early in the morning. Except for the location, the room was top notch, much bigger then our room in London last year, and spotless.

A few words about dining. Our package plan included breakfast which was a buffet with some made to order items - I believe the menu price was 28 euros, not a value if we had to pay out of pocket.

We also had afternoon tea one day which regardless of the price was an experience not to be missed. The tea was excellent, the food ample, and the service first rate. No live piano music though.

Wife and I visited the attached health club on two days to use the equipment. Everything was clean and spotless and the areas, although a little small, were more than adequate for the amount of people in there.

A few additional comments on the service:

- Turn down with a chocolate and water on the first night then nothing after that. Quite odd.
- Everyone highly professional and friendly (as was all of Ireland). They seem to genuinely be concerned that you were enjoying your stay and were glad to have you as their guests. I don't think you could ask for much more.
- Check out was much smoother, although it was only 7:20. We were asked how we enjoyed our stay, and was checked out in just 2 minutes.
- Concierge was hit and mis. Asked to have some things booked and one was left off. Nice getting a confirmation in your room by letter. Taxi to the airport that was requested with the concierge the night before also got missed.

On a future trip I would consider staying here again, but I would have to have some input into the room, or I would make a different choice of a hotel. It really wasn't pleasant to keep your curtains drawn all day so the office building couldn't see in. Also since there was no recognition of any Marriott status, I would entertain trying a different venue next time, although I can't imagine anything topping the Shelbourne service.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room, but location, location, location is the most important thing at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ljunghusen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a very nice hotel, excellent rooms, if you are not unlucky... Which I was. I got a room where there was a problem with the drainage in the shower (only shower and no bath tub). I told at the reception and they said it would be fixed. When back the evening after work I checked, but to my big disapointment it was stilla problem, meaning that after 45s the whole floor in the bath room was flooded and the water was going into the hallway of the room. To my bad luck I could not get another room! I had to stay one more night without being able to have a proper shower! Only after 2 nights I was moved to another room, as they realised I was staying 2 more nights..... But The new room was very nice, comfortable and pleny of space. The breakfast was great and I didn't miss anything. Cooked to rder for some things, fresh fruit and lots of other things. Would recommend it, but make sure you get a room with a working drainage.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Paragould, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

our experience at the Shelbourne Hotel was grand! we stayed one night at the beginning of our Ireland trip and ended the trip there also. both nights were very pleasing. the second visit there we were upgraded to a suite which was wonderful. breakfast was very good and staff were so friendly and helpful. since i had an early flight out, they made me a breakfast box to go! nice being close to so many sights and the hop on hop off bus is great for sightseeing. hope to return for another visit someday

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We went to Dublin for 3 days for a bit of a pub crawl and a laugh,well what can i say,firstly the Shelbourne was perfect,some of the customers are a little stuck up but we ignored that,the staff were lovely the room was lovely and as we had paid for Breakfast,that was the icing on the cake,set in a perfect location for what ever you choose in Dublin

Room Tip: we went for room service for the brekky @ 5euros but well worth it as there was a waiting time in th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast - very good service and I really liked how each staff member said morning in passing even though they were clearly run off their feet.
Saddle Room restaurant - very good food and service. We dined here on Good Friday and the restaurant was very busy. I did find it disappointing that the 7 course set menu was not available due to this. The restaurant is pricey and whilst this is expected in a five star hotel, I have been to Michelin star restaurants which are a similar price. Very good food none the less.
Rooms - the rooms are a little run down in comparison to the rest of the hotel.
Overall we had a very enjoyable stay - though the hotel is expensive, i felt it was worth the money.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BirminghamEmm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Let me qualify this review by saying I have stayed in many 5 star hotels over the years, however as a fairly new member, this is the first time I have reviewed one on tripadvisor.

The hotel is very centrally located with a lovely position across from St Stephen’s Green. She is the Grand old Dame of Dublin and is dressed accordingly, if you want modern and minimalistic there are other 5 stars which deliver this.

A family of four staying in a room with two queen sized beds, our room was the largest we have ever stayed in, with a little side room which housed the wardrobe and chest of drawers. The chest of drawers might have been a little small for our needs, the wardrobe however was more than sufficient. Our marble bathroom had both bath and separate shower. Being nosy types, we did have a look at a standard sized room across the hall one morning when it was being cleaned for new guests and although much smaller I can honestly say if we had been travelling as a pair we would have been more than pleased with the space.

We did not have a room with a view overlooking the green, obviously not every room can. It overlooked what was probably a rooftop. Sheer curtains meant this ‘view’ did not offend the eye, but we were there to enjoy facilities other than the view. The room had all the usual 5 star prerequisites including an ironing board and iron and free unlimited wifi for up to four appliances.
Our room was very clean. I would not say it was spotless. I believe spotless is an impossible state to achieve in any lived in facility with soft furnishings unless it has been very recently refurbished, but I feel the standard of cleanliness in the room we had was very high. Housekeeping was a little late in the day, we returned to the room at 2:30pm on our way to the bar for a coffee and it had not been made up, however an hour later it was pristine. The public areas were not filthy, or anything close to it.

We had turn-down service each night which included chocolates and bottles of water. As we were celebrating a family event we also had an unexpected rose petal turn-down, complete with complimentary chocolate bars, macaroons and pink lemonade.

Our rate included breakfast in the Saddle Room; there were a la carte and buffet options or a mixture of both. You could basically have whatever you wanted and as much of it. A personal favourite was the Shelbourne Eggs Benedict – two poached eggs, each on a grilled beef fillet steak topped with hollandaise. Add to that a selection of cereals, porridge, fruit juice, smoothies, tea or coffee, fresh fruit, a wide selection of breads, pastries and toast and a variety of cold meats and cheeses and I think it was worth the price! We did have to wait one morning to be seated, we were shown to the Lord Mayor’s lounge, offered tea and a newspaper but within five minutes (yes, I timed it) a table was ready for us. We were never rushed from our table, nor did we feel under pressure to leave before we were ready.

We stayed over Easter weekend, a busy weekend. Licensing laws in Ireland dictate no alcohol be served on Good Friday so with bars and many restaurants closed we expected the hotel bar (which is allowed to serve alcohol to residents only) to be extremely busy. I worried about the perceived ‘rugby scrum’ situation but this never materialised.

The facilities in the Spa and Fitness centre were excellent. Exceptionally clean and everything you could have needed provided. The hotel is a bit of a maze, and we did get lost the first time we made our way back to our room from the pool.

I think this is very important to say. We did not encounter one unfriendly, unhelpful member of staff our entire stay. From the moment we stepped out of our car and were greeted by the valet until we pulled away at the end of our stay to waves from the doorman, we could not fault any member of staffs attentiveness, politeness and helpfulness. We found the concierge most helpful and he went the extra mile to find us information on two separate occasions. The bar staff in No. 27 were neither stand-offish nor unfriendly, in fact went out of their way to make my children feel very comfortable and special.

When you look at how hotels are awarded star ratings, the Shelbourne ticks all the 5 star boxes. However, any hotel is only as good as its staff, and in my opinion this is currently a very good 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family