“Lunch in Style”

Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Ireland
“Lunch in Style”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

One of the iconic Dublin hotels and looking good following refurbishment over recent years. The place exudes elegance from a bygone era. A pre-Christmas lunch for two was greatly enjoyed and their table d’hôte menu provided everything we wanted at a reasonable price. They have a mouth watering selection of wines, albeit many at eye watering prices. The restaurant is a bit formal, but is well suited to its clientele and the staff’s welcome was warm and genuine. I have eaten here several times this year and have enjoyed each meal. I still can’t resist ordering a glass of cream sherry in bar before lunch and watching the bar staff trying to figure out what I want, where the bottle is and what glass to pour it into. I would strongly recommend a lunch here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am delighted to have read that you enjoy lunch at The Saddle room restaurant. You pay us a great compliment by returning each time.
Our mouth-watering wine list is hand selected by our in-house Sommelier, who keeps a constant eye on the market to remain competitive with other 5 star establishments.

Thank you also for your feedback on your pre-lunch drink selection, we will build on this for the next time you arrive for lunch.

We are very grateful to you for recommending us to our future customers and I look forward to welcoming you back to lunch again soon.

JD Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Thailand
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our family had 2 wonderful nights at the Shelbourne Hotel pre Christmas. We enjoyed every moment of our stay. The management and staff of this hotel have got everything just right. Professional, attentive, courteous and welcoming. The rooms which were overlooking St Stephens Green were comfortable and relaxing. Afternoon tea was delicious. Breakfast full of excellent choices. Lunch in the Saddle room is not to be missed. Excellent menu and service.
The location of the Shelbourne is perfect for shopping and sightseeing in Dublin. We can't wait to return soon.

Room Tip: Request a heritage room overlooking St Stephens Green
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback of your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel.

I am delighted to note that you fully enjoyed your stay and that you got a chance to sample many of the hotels facilities and all were to your satisfaction. Thank you very much for these kind comments. I will pass these along to my team as they will be delighted to hear that their efforts have made their mark, with the end result being an extremely happy guest.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Please contact me should you need any assistance with any requests you may have. I am delighted to be at your service.

Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Shelbourne Hotel is very centrally located beside St. Stephens Green in Dublin City. Just a short walk from a range of attractions including the Natural History museum, The Dail(Government Buildings), The National Library (A must for researchers and those interested in the past) , Shopping areas - Grafton Street, O'Connell Street and many other attractions too many to mention.
The hotel has been upgraded and provides a very welcoming atmosphere with friendly helpful staff and modern well appointed facilities.My wife and I stayed one night and found the hotel a haven of comfort and old world charm. I was particularly impressed by the leisure facilities provided and found the staff there both freindly and helpful.
I have given the hotel a reluctant rating of 4 in the overall assesment (I would like to have given a 5!) due to two particular organisational aspects of the services provided which I found disappointing. The residents lounge (a great place to "people watch") is closed to residents, who just want to sit, recuperate and read, most afternoons because "afternoon teas" are reserved for those wishing to pay for the privilege and no alternative arrangements are available. The suggested bar does not provide the same ambience! Secondly there is no area set aside for those waiting , with luggage, for their car to be returned to them.
However I wouild still feel that this hotel is ideally suited for a short stay in central Dublin and apart from the aspects I mentioned, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I am glad to note that you enjoyed you stay only for a few points.

We have taken your comments on board and have restored some of the couches to the front lobby area to allow guests to wait comfortably on their car or baggage to be brought around. As for the Lord Mayors Lounge, I will duly pass your comments along to the Director of Food & Beverage. I do agree, it is a great place to relax and “people watch”. At this time we do ask that one books ahead of time due to the limited space and high demand. I regret not being able to rectify these issues during your stay and I do hope that I may get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Shelbourne Hotel to show you how we have built on your feedback.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further or should you need any assistance with future reservations, I am delighted to be at your service.

I look forward to your return.

Ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Shelbourne for one night during the Very busy period before the Christmas holiday. I found my room and the service at check-in, car concierge etc. to be excellent. I travel the world on business and stay in many 5 star hotels - this hotel is up there for atmosphere, service and location. The new fitness centre is a terrific addition and reviewers who have been negative need to factor in the history of this hotel and where it is situate in the city - this is a far cry from the many bland 5 star hotels around the world that offer very little in the way of Atmosphere or warmth. An excellent choice for a short city break. Keep up the good work.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel as your one night away break during Christmas. I am glad to note that you found your experience to be of 5 star quality and that you especially enjoyed the atmosphere.

I am also glad to hear that you had the opportunity to experience our new health club. This is the latest addition to this historically dynamic hotel. I believe the complimentary use of the Health Club after staying the night at The Shelbourne is a great way to end your experience (or even a great way to start it).

Should you or your family decide to return to The Shelbourne Hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would be delighted to assist with any needs you may have.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dublin
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Just exquisite, the service was incredible. We even got drinks and chocolate brought to our room free to wish us happy new year. The room was fab, great tv, clean, lovely bed, quiet. Don't miss this hotel!!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our “Happy New Year Hot Chocolate”.

Thank you once again for chossing The Shelbourne Hotel as your place to kick off the New Year. I look forward to your next stay.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2013

As a regular visitor to the bars within the Shelbourne, we were rather looking forward in what had been deemed Dublin's premier 5 star hotel, having stayed in the others e.g. Westin, Westbury etc. this was a nice treat ahead of attending a wedding in the hotel.

Booking in at 3:00pm (the advertised check-in time), we were advised that we'd be contacted when room was ready... 4:50pm came the call, I then queued at about 5:30pm for 10 minutes, got my 2 x room keys and off I went to check the room... neither of the keys worked. When I returned to reception the same gentleman that had served me, informed me that the system had been down for most of the afternoon (none of our other friends staying had this issue) and why on earth not mention it there and then! Anyway - he said he'd sort it, off we went to the room... but he had no functioning keys with him, he was just opening the door - I told him the lights won't go on unless I have a key - A shrug of the shoulders and a "come back later, I'll have everything ready"... At 9:30pm my fourth attempt at getting entry... the desk hadn't prepared my keys... I might have just walked in from the street. Then between 3:30am and 8am we were awoken by barrels and glasses being moved from the alley/street outside - belonging to the hotel - we could even hear the guys whistling as they removed the glasses and rolled their barrels... next morning - we noticed, no hairdryer, lack of hotel or local information and even a low level issue, (but paints the picture) no pens! The room itself was very small & didn't seem if it was of the class of the hotel.

I called the manager in the morning, Mr Paul Hartmann, who thankfully was appalled by our experience. We met him when checking out with Raphael the Guest relations manager - and were given some Marriot points and the service charges to the room, breakfast and car park valet removed, which I feel was the correct course of action - I did ask if this room (261) was usually for staff, but he did say that 261-263 were used for "trials" or some such...

The rest of the hotel service (outside of the accommodation) we found as always to be first class. Food and waiter service is as expected, however this review is of our experience, and was unfortunate as if you read my other reviews they are always, I feel, balanced and usually we have a great experience wherever we are.

We can stay in a Dublin Westin Junior Suite for less than the Deluxe room we stayed in, likewise the Westbury is less expensive, on this visit I can't say why the Shelbourne would be a preferential choice for us - perhaps we will try again, thanks more to Paul and Raphael's response than the poor experience at reception and with the room we were possibly just very unlucky to get.

I suggest staying away from these rooms and lower floors of any hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid 261-263 or indeed any lower floors - ask to see the room first, especially if it's not rea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gerrymac32
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I was disappointed to note the issues that occurred throughout your stay. I am glad to hear that my two colleagues were able to rectify the situation and compensate you for the inconveniences that you experienced. We have taken on board your feedback and I will be passing it along to the respective teams so that we may stop this from re-occurring in the future.

I would ask that you please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we may discuss the issues you have detailed and how we can move forward from this. Please contact me at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future,

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for one night in a double room. I have to say that I was expecting much more from a 5 star hotel. The public areas are all lovely but the room was a joke. It was tiny with no room to move around once our bags were in it. The worst thing about it though was that it smelled of vomit. In hindsight we should have complained about it but we were attending a wedding elsewhere so literally dropped our bags in the room and left and weren't back until 2am so didn't have the time. For a 5 star hotel, charging so much per night, I would have expected much much better.

On the positive side, the location is excellent, right in the city centre and breakfast was very good. However, there are plenty of other hotels close to the city centre at a fraction of the price so there's no need to stay here for the location.

Definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SF3415
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to detail and review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am disappointed to note that you had a less than perfect stay. I regret not having the opportunity to rectify the situation while you were here at the hotel, but as you have said you were attending a wedding elsewhere.

I would urge you to contact me at your earliest convenience so we may discuss your stay in further detail. Please contact me at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com
I was glad to note that you found the location suitable and that the breakfast was to your satisfaction.

I look forward to hearing from you,

JD