“Irish Christmas”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #19 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed 6 nights at the Shelbourne during Christmas and it was the best choice we could've made. The restaurant, both bars, and lounge kept their own, separate ambiance despite being close to each other. Anytime we requested something the staff was exceptional in responding. We also had another guest who had one to many Guinesses try to talk and the bartender notified the manager who was gracious enough to divert him elsewhere. It was very nicely handled and showed the attentiveness of the staff. As far as location, we couldn't have asked for a more perfect spot. Our Dublin Christmas was very memorable and the Shelbourne did nothing but add to the experience.

Room Tip: They have one US electric plug in the strip by the desk
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin during the Christmas period.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed many of the features that The Shelbourne had to offer and that our team were attentive to your needs. It was our pleasure to look after you and your wife during this magical time. We hope that this may be the start of a tradition…

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your Shelbourne Christmas experience. Please contact me should you decide to return, I would be delighted to assist in any reservations you may have. I look forward to making your next stay as memorable as your last.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Belated review following a family stay in September. Great location, and atmosphere. Bars great...but remember they won't reserve space for residents as they rely on the (small) horseshoe bar. Rooms vary - the smallest is tiny but suites are exceptional and worth the extra for special events. Front of house and check in staff very pleasant. Wouldn't rate the restaurant but there are plenty in walking distance, so it's not an issue. I stay here at least once a year on business, but this time Staff went the extra distance to help make a family occasion special, so thank you Shelbourne!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am pleased to hear that our associates went that extra mile for you and created a memorable stay for you and your family. It is with great pleasure to hear that you regard us at the best hotel in Dublin.

Thank you for your continued custom. Please contact me should you wish to arrange any special requests for any future stays, I would be delighted to assist.

I look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here twice in December and the most striking failure on each occasion is the chronic inadequacy of facilities and services such as dining and reception vs the number of rooms. Bottom line is that they do not have enough capacity in the breakfast room or at reception when they approach full occupancy. It can take up to one hour to queue to get into the breakfast room in the morning. Checkout out also takes an inordinate amount of time. It took me one hour to queue to checkout and retrieve my car from valet (30 minutes each). The lobby area is like a train station. Have never seen anything like it in a five star hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am sorry to note that you had a less than perfect experience and I am sorry I did not get the chance to rectify these issues during your stay. I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that has been caused to you and I assure you that this does not reflect the level of service we seek to provide here at The Shelbourne.

We acknowledge that the hotel and its outlets become very busy during periods of full occupancy at certain times of the morning. As an alternative and in order to avoid a wait for tables in our main restaurant, we offer a Continental Breakfast in our Lord Mayors Lounge. Furthermore, you also have the possibility to enjoy breakfast in the comfort of your room simply by contacting our In Room Dining service. I am disappointed to hear that you were also unaware of our express check out facility where by your final receipt will be emailed to you.
In order to facilitate the retrieval of your valet parked car, we recommend a 30 minute notice period to ensure that your car will be waiting for you in a timely manner.
Please contact me at your earliest convenience should you wish to discuss your stay in more detail. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you or your family return to our Hotel, I would be delighted to offer my personal assistance in making arrangements for any future reservation.
I will make sure that your next stay exceeds your expectations and leaves you with a positive impression.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We will never forget this night !!! The staff at the shoe bar are amazing... We were girls having a drink at the bar when an old guy harrased us but the staff were watching and caring .. The manager came and apologise twice! It was impressive ... Thanks to the staff for caring for the client ... For sure we will come back there...

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad to hear that you and your friends chose The Horseshoe bar as your venue. We were glad to be of service during your night out.
We look forward to you and your friends returning.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here twice within a four week period in nov/dec
We booked through Internet sites which gave much better rates than those on the hotel website
The cost was less than two hundred euros per night for b&b for two people
The service in the hotel was great and the location is of course fantastic
If the hotel is busy you may have to wait for breakfast but at least you are given warning of this by the staff and the breakfast was worth the esit
We had the room service breakfast on one of the mornings and it was excellent
In summary a great place to stay and far less stuffy than the merrion the other five star in the vicinity

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip. It is with great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay here and that you returned twice over a two week period.

I would encourage you to keep an eye on our website for specials and deals that we have. The benefits of booking directly with hotel include: no deposit, no booking fees and you do not have to pay until departure. This excludes our advanced purchase rate which offers great discounts on bookings made over 14 days in advance.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel as your home away from home and I look forward to seeing you again hopefully in the new year.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Good hotel - does everything you'd expect to a high standard. The atmosphere is traditional and formal but not too stuffy. Rooms are very good size, beds comfortable and the lobby and bar areas are great meeting places although they do come with the ridiculous prices you expect to pay for drinks and food in similar joints around the rest of the world. New gym and pool facilities are first class. Staff throughout the hotel friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. It is a great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed many of the hotels aspects from its central location, the comfortable beds and our popular bar.

Our Health Club and Shelbourne Spa our recent additions to the hotel and I am glad to hear that you got to experience these and found them to be first class.

Should you or your family decide to return to The Shelbourne in the future please do not hesitate to contact me, I would be delighted to arrange any requests you may have. Thank you once again for your kind words.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Loved this place - I felt compelled to call this hotel out. It is close to all attractions in town. Staff is friendly and courteous. I was there during the week prior to Christmas. The hotel/ bar was happening. I inquired with the attendant at the front door as to what hot whiskey is. He ended up serving hot whiskey to four of us on the house. Room was classy as well! I would gladly stay there again if my travels take me to Dublin.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Shelbourne Hotel and I am glad to note that you enjoyed your experience.
I am very glad to have had the opportunity to have met you on your stay and it would have been a terrible shame for you and your party to have not sampled one of Irelands national treasures of the Hot Irish Whiskey.
Thank you once again for choosing to stay at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip and I look forward to seeing you again hopefully in 2013.