“Dublin's Finest” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #14 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
“Dublin's Finest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Having now stayed in all Dublin's 5 star hotels The Shelbourne is definitely the best.5star is about service and getting the finer details right - here this is done to perfection.From the warm greeting at reception with the offer of coffee and cookies to the very welcome hot whiskies handed to us on coming back from an afternoon of shopping.You get the impression that the staff are there to help - there was a slight problem with our hotel safe, I reported to reception and within 5 mins a very pleasant gentleman had it fixed.
Location is fantastic being only 3 mins walk from the shopping heart of Dublin - we enjoyed it so much that we've already planned our return trip

1 Thank Olimm
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I was delighted to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay and that the finer parts of our service impressed you.

We love to surprise and delight our guests with little things over their stay and the hot whiskeys can be a welcomed surprise after a hard days shopping.

Thank you once again for your kind comments and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future. If I can be of any assistance to you for a return visit please do not hesitate to contact me in advance. It will be my pleasure to look after you.

JD Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Even if you don't stay here, consider making a reservation for afternoon tea. It is so elegant and lots of fun! Delicious tea, sandwiches, scones, and desserts - accompanied with a lovely setting and piano. I took my mom there and she loved it!

1 Thank Stephmc113
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting The Shelbourne Hotel and the Lord Mayors Lounge for your Afternoon tea. I am delighted to hear that you and your mother both enjoyed your experience with us. We are very proud of our Afternoon Tea tradition and that you appreciated the selections of teas, scones, sandwiches and desserts.

The Afternoon Tea is a great experience for any celebration, be it anniversaries, birthdays or just a get-together with friends.

Thank you again for your kind comments. If I can be of any further assistance to you or your family should wish to visit again.

Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

A beautiful, grand hotel with amazing attention to detail. Wonderful service. We stayed in a large suite that was just so beautiful. The bed was comfy, the furniture lovely and the large bathroom with both tub and shower was a real winner. Located in the heart of Dublin, you're walking distance to Grafton St complete with many pubs and restaurants but the Saddle Bar at the hotel was very very cool, especially for a hotel bar. A must stay while in Dublin.

2 Thank Nosda
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Shelbourne Hotel and thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Dublin. I was delighted to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay us. It was our pleasure to provide these services to you and I hope that you return in the not too distant future.

Should you or your family decide to return to The Shelbourne Hotel, please contact me as I would be delighted to assist.

Church Stretton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed in The Shelbourne at the beginning of November. Its a lovely hotel, very bustling to the point of not being able to find a seat in a public room at 6pm on a Saturday night! Lovely room, very comfortable bed. We had some issues during our stay, which didnt exactly spoil the visit, but which we could have done without. However we raised them with Customer Service Exective 'JD' (the name he gave us not me trying to anonimise him) and we got an excellant response. We had a fabulous meal in The Saddle Room restaurant. We tried the Autumn Tasting Menu with accompanying wines. Our waiter/sommelier Francois was excellant and made the whole meal more enjoyable by his great choices of wine. Some of the tables were too close together for my taste but we were given another one which I indicated I would prefer. We will definately return to what I think is Dublin's premier hotel.

3 Thank Claire R
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Executive at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Ireland. It was a pleasure to speak with you over your stay and thank you once again for your feedback that you provided.

I am glad that you enjoyed the evening in The Saddle room restaurant and that Francois was able to make this experience memorable for you. The tasting menu is a great way to experience all that The Saddle Room offers and the wine tasting accompaniment further enhances this even more.

I am extremely flattered that you found my service helpful, it was my pleasure. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to The Shelbourne Hotel. Please contact me should you need any assistance with future reservations, I would be delighted to assist.

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed 2 nights using Marriott points due to late minute bookings. While late minute booking in off season Southern France and Sardinia, our Dublin weekend stay didn't We couldn't find decent accommodations for under 150 - 200 Euros.

So I used my points and loved, loved, loved the Shelbourne. The check-in was quick, staff profession and friendly. Our room (top floor, #882) was nicely appointed, great temperature, comfy bed with great sheets and bedding, and a view over the office building behind the hotel. This was really nice given the sunny weather. The bathroom was spacious (2 sinks), nice tub and shower and had nice marbel. Towels were showing their age, but were plentiful and included wash clothes, a novel concept in many euro hotels/lodging.

The lobby had a good buzz and the bars looked like fun. The hotel fits prominently into Irish history which was fascinating to read and also see the famous people who have stayed at the hotel. Its location is good with easy access to many tourist spots -Grafton Street, museums, St. Stephan's Green, Trinity College, etc. It also is close to the hop-on/off buses and many restaurants.

We tend to go out for drinks and meals, so didn't use the hotel dining facilties, but menus looked lovely but expensive. The hotel also has a new spa and pool, but we again, didn't use.

Getting to the hotel is simple, with Airbus probably the most direct route for 10 euro each way or else you can take the 747 bus for 6 euro but it lets you off a few blocks from the hotel. Taxis are expensive

I would definitely recommend this hotel based on comfort, decor, location and staff.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the 8th floor
2 Thank WowWanda
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this wonderful review of your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent visit to Dublin.

We loved, loved…loved having you and are glad that you got to discover many of the things that The Shelbourne Hotel has to offer. The hotel is steeped in Irish history from our famous previous guests to famous events that took place, the drawing up of the Irish Constitution, to name but one.

On your next visit you will have to enjoy all The Spa and The Health Club have to offer, as well as our restaurants and bars

Thank you again for posting this wonderful review and please contact me should you decide to return to The Shelbourne Hotel on your next trip to Dublin. We are delighted to have you as a loyal Marriott member and I would be delighted to assist you in your future reservations.

Wayland, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

She's a grand old hotel in a fantastic location. But, the bed in my first room was so bad that I had to switch and the second bed was not much better. They were also charging 19 Euros a day for internet service per computer. Simply not acceptable in this day and age.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Fleichter
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Shelbourne Hotel on your trip to Dublin. I am surprised to hear that you did not fully enjoy your experience with us. We strive to create an experience of memorable luxury and above all else a comfortable night’s sleep. I will pass these comments to our Housekeeping director so that he may investigate. I would be delighted to hear more about your stay and understand more about the issues you experienced.

I am glad to inform you that we have changed our internet service provider and now offer complimentary WIFI to all our guests throughout the hotel.

Please contact me should you wish to discuss your stay further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We enjoyed a 7 night stay at the Shelbourne in Dublin from August 17-24 2012. We arrived after an overnight flight from Boston and checked in at 6:00 AM. We took the AirCoach from the airport which was wonderful and the stop on Kildaire Street was steps from the front door of the hotel. We knew our room would not be ready but our bags were checked for us and were told that breakfast would begin serving at 7:00 AM. An early morning walk around St. Stephens Green before breakfast was the perfect antidote after a long flight. The staff was wonderfully attentive to all of our needs and were able to answer all of questions throughout our week there. Daily breakfast was included in our stay and it was very good. We even got a copy of the Irish Times to read with breakfast. The location of the hotel is excellent. We were within walking distance of shopping on Grafton Street, the National Museum, Trinity College, Dublin Castle and Christ Church to name a few. The hop on and hop off bus was great for other attractions. We found a great walking tour that was free and we did that the first day to get our bearings. We also did some day trips to the Wicklow Mountains, the Ring of Kerry and the Cliffs of Mohr. Some were bus tours and we found The Irish Rail Tours to be great too. We thoroughly enjoyed Ireland and its people and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spedsue
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Shelbourne Hotel, A renaissance hote on your recent trip to Ireland.

It sounds like you enjoyed all that Ireland had to offer over your stay with us, from the great views and wildness of the west coast to the relaxing walks around St. Stephens Green. I am glad that all our team could be of assistance. Thank you again for staying with us and for posting this wonderful review.

Please contact me should you decide to return to The Shelbourne Hotel on your next trip to Ireland so that I may assist with your reservation and ensure you have another memorable stay.