“Excellent hotel!”

Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Wicklow, Ireland
“Excellent hotel!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is excellent. I particularly like the atmosphere in the bars at the weekends as there is always a buzz. The rooms are nice and the hotel itself is very impressive. The staff are very friendly. I would love to stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank happyteacher085
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you your recent review of the Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted that you had such a nice time and found the hotel "impressive and atmospheric". If you plan to return to Dublin at any point please contact me directly, I will be delighted to personally assist.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at the Shelbourne for a week during a business trip. The location is great for exploring Dublin. I was able to walk to most sightseeing attractions. The hotel staff was very friendly and the rooms were kept very clean. My only complaint would be the mattress. I would guess they haven't been replaced in a few years. Both sides of the mattress had visible imprints.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ksquare8
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following on from your recent stay at The Shelbourne. I am delighted that you had such a nice time with us and thank you in particular for your kind comments regarding our staff, cleanliness of rooms and central location. If you plan to return to Dublin at any point in the future please contact me directly. I will be more than happy to assist.

Winter Park, FL
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The location, across from St. Stephen's Green, is perfect. Public rooms are grand. Flower arrangements in the lobby and reception area are spectacular. Shortbread cookies in a bowl at reception are fabulous. The bed was typical Marriott: very, very comfortable. But the room was tiny and had only 1 chair.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank artichokeannie
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following on from your recent trip to The Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad that overall you had a good experience with us and thank you for your kind comments regarding the public areas and the comfort of our beds. I will also pass on your feedback regarding our homemade cookies at reception - Katie, our pastry chef will be delighted! If you plan to return to Dublin at any point in the near future please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We spent Easter at the shelbourne - the service is amazing all our needs were catered for staff are fantastic. Denis the concierge made sure we got excellent care and attention where ever we went from restaurants to cycle hire in the park. It had been sympathetically restored and the decor and rooms are lovely, the beds were a problem as the were so comfortable we did not want to get out of them!!
The food was really great and the breakfast was probably the best I had ever had. We will definitely come back yes it was pricey but the quality was suburb. And as for the cocktails they were epic. What we didn't realise is that on Good Friday in Ireland no where serves alcohol - however the shelbourne did serve us as we were having a meal.

Room Tip: we had 4 room and of these one was quite dark but the others were fine - lots of space despite havin...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank deborahstott
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following on from your trip to The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted that you and your party had a such a nice time with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and in particular Denis O'Brien, our Head Concierge. I will ensure this feedback is passed on. If you plan to return to Dublin at any point in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me directly. I will be more than happy to personally assist.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I lived in Dublin for 5 years a long time ago, before this hotel was renovated, and used to occasionally pop in to the Horseshoe Bar when I was feeling flush. It had great charm, accentuated by it's slightly shabby appearance. I always wanted to stay there, and now that I'm older and (very slightly) richer, I decided to splash out. I suppose that I held The Shelbourne in hugely high regard for many years, and when one expects a lot, one is almost always disappointed. Check-in was excellent, although the lobby was a bit.... chintzy. Sort of a very middle-aged feel about the place. This was continued and amplified in our room, which looked like it had been decorated by everyone's grandmother. Horrible wooden furniture that would have looked at home in Southfork (in the original Dallas). However, the room was a good size and the bed was huge. Breakfasts were superb, but again the dining room had a certain feel about it - as if it had been refurbished but the people doing the refurbishment didn't really have a clear idea what they were aiming for. It winds up with a strange feeling of a mixture of extreme formality and trying to be 'down with the kids'. It's like your mother wearing hotpants. Residents' bar is even worse - a totally character-free room with a few tables and soft furnishings which wouldn't look out of place in a retirement home.

However, the historic rooms (ie The Constitution Room) are wonderful and do possess a real sense of epic events having occurred there. The building itself is fantastic, an the staff are certainly attentive and pleasant. There's a crazy idea called a 'Genealogy Butler' which is surely aimed squarely at the American market - which isn't a bad thing, but is just ridiculous. Indeed, the whole place is I think squarely aimed at the American market - again, not a bad thing, but it just doesn't feel like a very Irish hotel. The hotel museum is well worth 20-30 mins browsing.

So, overall, very expensive and a bit disappointing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review following on from your recent trip to the Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad that overall you had a nice experience and thank you for your kind comments regarding the service from our front service team, offerings at breakfast and the comfort of the beds. I am delighted that you took the time to view the museum and our Constitution Suite, (where the Constitution of Ireland was drafted in 1924). A lot of time and care was taken during our refurbishment to ensure that the hotel retained as much of the original character as possible. I am glad that you felt that this was the case. If you plan to return to Dublin at any point in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me directly. I will be more than happy to personally assist.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We spent our last night in Ireland at the Shelbourne & absolutely loved it. It's centrally located, right across the street from St. Stephen's Green and convenient to almost everything you could hope to see while in the city. The service was impeccable, from the bell staff to the concierge desk and everyone else we encountered. Lots of nice little touches, like the addictive cookies at reception & the variety of international outlets built into the wall of the hotel room.

The room was spacious enough for our whole family of 5, the beds were comfy, breakfast was excellent. Can't really think of anything bad to say about the place.

As we left the next morning, our kids were asking when we could come back and stay at the Shelbourne. I couldn't agree with them more!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DanManDC
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following on from your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted that you and your family had such a good time with us. I will ensure all of your kind comments regarding the facilities and the service are passed on to the relevant people. Should you be travelling to Dublin at any point soon I will be more than happy to personally assist. Please contact me directly.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 3, 2012

What is left to say!! The location is perfect (St. Stephens Green), the service was TOP NOTCH, the food was great, and the rooms were well appointed & quiet. We enjoyed out last night in Ireland at this hotel. A nice finishing touch to our wonderful stay in Ireland.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following on from your stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted that you had such a nice time with us and I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the relevant parties. Should you plan to return to Dublin at any point in the near future please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.