“So near, yet so far...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“So near, yet so far...”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've a soft spot for the Burlington. I've gone there on and off for 20 years, always for business. I've had some great nights there, and also stayed in some depressing pre renovation rooms. This time, the visit was a quick one, for a breakfast event we were holding in the hotel. Late arrival, and arranged by the office so all charged to the account for the event. Efficient and welcoming receptionist confirmed I had a new room, so a good start.... Spangly and clean, nice Sony TV. Bathroom is the shower/bath combo, which I'm never a fan of because the water pressure in the shower is usually poor. This one was no exception. Very clean, good firm bed. Breakfast fine (typical Dublin hotel spread - gotta love white and black pudding...) New gym is a big improvement - more new shiny equipment, and open 24x7 rather than the old bonkers 8am start, which rendered it useless if you're at a client for 9. The business meetings level (Floor 2) has also had a refurb, and looks pretty good.

So why the 3 blob rating, I hear you ask...well....

On a minor note, the soundproofing is poor. I could hear a guy next door on the phone. I could hear him snoring. and I usually sleep the sleep of the dead.... When I visited the smallest room at 6am, I also heard him doing the same... (who knows... he may be writing the same in his review right now :-) My blob removing big issue was with the event service, and in particular,related to a box of materials we'd sent by courier, and without which the event would be rendered pretty useless. Nobody could find it. "It doesn't look like it's been delivered" I was told. We soldiered on, and at a break I called the office, who emailed me the delivery note from UPS. It had been delivered 3 days earlier. I asked again (making my frustration pretty clear), and after several minutes it miraculously appeared. Had it remained lost, and had I not persisted, 20 clients would have wasted their morning, and we would have wasted staff costs, event costs and travel for me from the UK. The place can look as spangly and new as you like. If the basic services for a business venue don't stack up, we'll have to go somewhere else.

Which would be a shame, because, as I say, I do have a soft spot for the place....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jane I, Hotel Administrator at Clayton Hotel Burlington Road, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear TravellingTaffUk,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dublin – Burlington Road.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our newly renovated rooms and that you appreciated the improvements which have been made to the Hotel gym.

In relation to your feedback regarding our event service, the hotel currently has a strict Hotel Policy in relation to deliveries for Business Events; I would appreciate the opportunity to look into your feedback in greater detail and would be grateful if you could please contact me directly at jane.igoe@hilton.com with the details of your event and your UPS Delivery package.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jane Igoe-Hotel Administrator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel has a good location--within walking distance of St. Stephen's Green and Trinity College. It used to be The Burlington, but Hilton recently bought it and was in the process of rennovating it when we were there. (If you take a cab there, mention it used to be the Burlington and they'll know exactly where to go.) The lobby was a bit chaotic with the work being done on it and various tour groups either checking in or out, but the staff was helpful and friendly, if a little frazzled at times. The room was fine. Typical of a Hilton chain hotel. Though the bed was a bit too hard for my tastes. But it was clean and nicely decorated.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jane I, Hotel Administrator at Clayton Hotel Burlington Road, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel. We hope you enjoyed your recent visit to Dublin.

Thank you for your helpful tip for our future guests, as indeed many of the city's Taxi and Bus Drivers are still getting accustomed to the Hotels new name. I have shared your kind words about our ‘helpful and friendly' staff with the team here at the Hotel. I am happy to advise the renovations of the Hotel lobby, restaurant and bar have now been complete.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Jane Igoe-Hotel Administrator
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Was there for a conference for two days. Oldish room, terrible pillows, bad view, old bathroom... Definitely not Hilton standard... I will pick up another one next time. Food is ok apart from breakfast in the room. Service at the main bar is a catastrophe ( no smile, arrogant people)
Finally, internet in the room hardly worked... I constantly had to reconnect sometime succesfully sometime not but be sure you pay for it

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Oloeillot
DoubleTree B, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Burlington Road, responded to this review, November 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dublin Hotel.

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the comfort of your guestroom and service in the Hotels bar. Please accept our apologies for not exceeding your expectations. I have shared your feedback directly with our Manager Team for review and improvement.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a more enjoyable stay.

Craigavon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

As long as you get a good price, I don't think there is better value in Dublin.
I have paid as little as £65 b&b for 2 here.
The Hilton group have done a good job with the renovations. Sure its not perfect, but for this price it is very acceptable.
You get a big hotel feel, nice public areas, pleasant bedrooms, and an excellent breakfast
It's about a 20 minute walk to Grafton Street, but there are plenty of taxis outside the front door.
The staff seem to be well trained in customer satisfaction, and for me went the extra mile.
The cookie on arrival was very welcome, and children were even offered more complimentary, a nice touch
A small mistake with our dinner order resulted in an immediate free round of drinks for our whole party, excellent.
So overall you could find faults if you looked, like no fridge in the room and no air conditioning in some rooms, but we had a very enjoyable stay and I would like to thank the management and staff, we will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with air conditioning. Overlooking the city side is quieter, regarding road noise an...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear OranD,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dublin – Burlington Road and for your feedback.

We are so pleased to hear that your family enjoyed the DoubleTree welcome cookie, the ‘big hotel feel, nice public areas, pleasant bedrooms, and excellent breakfast’ and that our team went ‘the extra mile’ in terms of customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Dublin.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for one night in October 2013 as part of a package deal with our flights.
On our early arrival from London, we were lucky enough to be checked into our twin room. They even provided us with their very yummy warm chocolate biscuits as a welcome.
The room itself is spacious with comfortable beds with a large and clean bathroom. Also complimentary bottles of water were provided along with tea and coffee making facilities.
The gym was well fitted out even providing towels and earphones.
The breakfast buffet catered for everything with cereals, bread, hot food, fruit and savouries.
Location wise, it is easy to access from the airport (Air Coach stops outside) and 15 minute walk into the city centre or 5 minutes by local bus.
Only downside was I think the walls were thin as we could hear the television loud and clear from the room next door. I did report this to reception and they did make note of my comment which I appreciated.
Overall a good solid hotel to stay in Dublin.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jane I, Hotel Administrator at Clayton Hotel Burlington Road, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Jacinta B,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dublin on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our signature ‘very yummy warm’ DoubleTree cookies!

We are so happy to hear you found your stay so comfortable and that you had the opportunity to sample our extensive breakfast buffet as well as our Hotel gym which is open 24 hours for our guests use.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for another enjoyable stay.

Warm Regards,

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here in September for a weekend and we really enjoyed our time here. The room was lovely and clean and plenty of space. We received a choc cookie each after we had checked in which was a nice geture. Breakfast was eat what you like with a wide variety of food available for breakfast. The only downside is the car park tends to get full easily and you have to find parking on the street which can be painful. Apart from that no other faults, if the weather is fine you can walk into town at your ease.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubleTree B, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Burlington Road, responded to this review, June 13, 2016
Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay. We are grateful for all feedback from guests, as it gives us the opportunity to improve all aspects of our hotel and provide feedback to our team.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best regards,

DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Road Dublin
Hotel Contact Details
Main Telephone : +353 ( 0) 1 6185600
General Hotel Email: DUBBU_DT_HOTEL@hilton.com
Reservation Email: DTDublinHotel.Reservations@hilton.com

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the doubletree on the day of the transfer. From the original hotel, to the doubletree.
I have been to many doubletree's and no the ropes and was looking forward to my cookie, but was advised from the staff cookies were not being given until tomorrow and they would make sure I receive one on check out!
The reception staff were great they apologised greatly due to the building work but it is understandable!
Breakfast was amazing great selection and would highly recommend there new looking bar!! Beds extremely comfortable with a nice peaceful view out the window!

And to top it off a receptionist came to me personally and delivered me a cookie! 'Thanks a million' as the Irish would say!
However thanks for a great stay!!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Daryl T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you were with us on our official opening as the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for another enjoyable stay and of course to enjoy some more DoubleTree Cookies!

Warm Regards,