“Clarence is Tired, Clarence is Dirty, Clarence Needs Some TLC” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Clarence

The Clarence
Ranked #44 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
“Clarence is Tired, Clarence is Dirty, Clarence Needs Some TLC”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you want a hotel located very close to the action in Temple Bar, the Clarence will work. If you're looking for a first class hotel, the Clarence is not it. From the lobby to our cave of a room, everywhere you looked you saw signs of a poorly kept, worn, facility. The lobby is dingy and barely a proper lobby. Our room's tub was so dirty, my girlfriend would not take a bath, which she was looking forward to, so a shower had to suffice. Our room should be turned into a storage closet. We were on the second floor over looking an alley that was occupied by a pub. The hotel had installed double windows to kill the noise being generated by the crowd and the music and that engineering did work, no noise from outside.

That also meant that you could not open a window and with no air conditioning on a warm night, sleeping was a problem. To add to the sleeping problem were the perfectly useless, heavy velvet curtains which stood off from the wall allowing all the light you did not need to enter the room and wake you in the early morning hours, kind of a sick joke.

The faucets on the sink turned forever and you had to find "off" as it was somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

The decor is early Danish dirty mixed with bland. Fresh paint was needed throughout.

The shining light in our stay was the staff. Everyone we dealt with was absolutely helpful and professional, a joy to speak with. So cheers to the staff, and shame on managment for not keeping this property up to standard. Next visit we'll be staying in the neighborhood around Grafton street. I'd pass on this property, you can do better at the same price point.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask if your room faces the alley with the noisy pub and don't acccept that room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Scott P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We spent two nights at the Clarence. While the decor was not to my taste, the location and service more than compensated. The staff is very friendly and helpful. And the best of Dublin is at the Clarence's doorstep. The Tea Room has an appealing and affordable menu. Sadly we did not have the time to enjoy a meal there. I would definitely return here!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

It was out last night in Ireland, so we decided to spend it at the Clarence. After a day of traveling across the countryside, we got to the hotel, were greeted by a warm, and funny, valet, who took us to our room. Once inside, I did a double-take! I thought I made a mistake and booked the penthouse, and would have to wash dishes, or something, to pay for it. But, no, it was the right room - a beautiful view of the River Liffey, with a balcony, a sitting room and a bath. Very nice accommodation, so nice, we decided to have room service and take the Dublin sunset in. Thanks to the Clarence staff, we had a very enjoyable last night in the country I hope to return to very soon.
Just Lovely!

Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

I hardly ever treat myself to nice hotels, so when my reservation for a B&B fell through (i.e., I forgot to actually confirm the reservation), I said "I'm going to treat myself to a nice place! Huzzah!" Since I hardly ever stay at hotels like this, I don't have much to compare it to, but I thought it was mostly very nice. I knew it was categorized more as "boutique" than "luxury," so I wasn't expecting the palace.

The room was small but comfortable (pillows were perfect for my picky self), although very warm the first night. (Thanks for providing a fan - it helped a lot!) The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and I had a nice time having a drink in the Octagon Bar with a friend.

I knew staying in Temple Bar ran the risk of being noisy, but I figured since The Clarence was a bit farther down, it might be better. Alas, there was a bar with an outdoor terrace right below my room. I was nervous about the noise, but with the windows closed, the voices below were silenced. .... but then the dance music started at 11 pm. Oh well. It was worth it for the convenient location.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Wish we were there every weekend!
My husband and I have stayed here twice now. Once for Our honeymoon, then again for our Anniversary.
it is absolutely amazing!
So clean, friendly staff, and PERFECT location!
If you like to go out at night you are in the perfect spot!

Room Tip: Can be a bit noisy considering the location. Get a room with a view of the river, it will be much qu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Just returned from having our wedding in Dublin at the Clarence. We booked everything online and communicated via email so we were apprehensive. Once we got there, the staff was amazing, friendly, helpful. Mary, the events coordinator, helped us make all our dreams come true. The staff service was first class. The food was served perfect to order and on time. The tables and rooms were arranged with plenty of space for guests to mingle. Flowers were everywhere. We could not have hoped for more!

Room Tip: River view rooms are quiet and have a nice breeze in the summer. No direct sunlight since the rooms...
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

There have been some varying reviews for this hotel but from our experience there is nothing to worry about. From start to finish our stay was exemplary from service to food to our room we found all met our every wish. We stayed for one night and over the two days we had lunch, dinner and breakfast - plenty of choice and the taste and presentation were fantastic! The location can not be faulted and we had a roof top room with its own terrace which offered views cross the city. I visited with my husband and son who is 22 and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we will definitley be back as soon as we can!

Room Tip: Higher floors with river view