“Worst Night's In Twenty Years Travel”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Clarence

The Clarence
Ranked #43 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
england
“Worst Night's In Twenty Years Travel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Do not stay at this hotel. We had the great misfortune to endure two appalling nights, struggling for sleep at the wretched Clarence. Our first night was spent upgraded to a room overlooking the Liffey, and it was impossible to get a wink because of the booming disco from the night club next door. We complained and were subsequently moved to a supposedly quieter room but the disco noise was even worse. The minimum expectation from a hotel booking is a decent night's sleep. This is impossible at the Clarence, and guests are treated like mugs. Indeed, a stay at the Clarence is akin to spending a short time in the care of a US-led 'Black Ops' team as shown in the film Zero Dark Thirty where sleep deprivation is a favoured interrogation technique. Apparently the Clarence and the night club next door are owned by the puffed-up and preening rock star, Bono. What a hypocrite he is, spouting 'green' concerns but presiding over the worst example of noise pollution in a hotel that I have ever encountered. Do not, on any account, stay at the Clarence.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lugger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is epic for me since Bono owns it but the staff and service are wonderful. Make sure to get a room on the Liffey side and not facing Temple Bar if possible as it gets noisy. Loved the great location and the Octagon bar is fun. The fact that met Bono while staying there made for the stay of a lifetime. Highly recommend the hotel for lovely staff and service.

• Stayed February 2013
Bruxelles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Dublin was for some years one of the most expensive destinations in Europe. This still shows in the prices of hotels (and often also restaurants). If you compare what you get for, say 150 Euros in Dublin and other capitals you see a huge gap.
The Clarence is not at all a bad hotel. It is however pretty expensive for what you get for your money. The rooms are clean, but neither very spacious, nor equiped with anything that you would even find in a 3-star hotel on the continent. At least my bathroom would have needed a renovation and apart from the WiFi that works well, there was nothing to make me stay in the room except for the time I was sleeping.
On the positve note: The location is excellent just 2 blocks from Dublin City Hall and Dublin Castle. Staff is friendly.

Room Tip: Preferrably the rooms with river view (although they are more expensive)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
northern ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed only one night for bed and breakfast,and would not return.From the moment we arrived we felt uncomfortable.As we reached the front door a member of staff who we later realised was working the front desk walked out and let the door close in our face.While we were booking in the same man came back and took over,after he told us our room number he asked us would we like a paper in the morning yes please I said (no paper) anyway we asked where we get breakfast as he forgot to tell us he said I think you have missed breakfast but you can go down the hall and see.I said no its breakfast in the morning!!! We went to our room and thought that was one of the worst experience of booking in.Our room was OK the bathroom was a bit tired,we had a comfortable sleep that night which really matters.Breakfast was awful in the sense you had to ask for everything. We got our coffee and tea waited quite a while for our order to be taken as other clients got served before us who came in after us.I ordered scrambled eggs which were very overdone I was unable to eat them but the sausages were lovely.My friend got porridge and said it was very bland.I felt stressed at breakfast as I had to wait to catch a member of staff to ask for some sauce also I would have liked another glass of juice but didn't feel brave enough to ask.We were glad to get out.I think that for breakfast if you are able to get your own juice and breads etc it would be much better.All in all this hotel was clean and the room was quiet,that really is the best I can say.I have stayed in Dublin many times and would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank topbox
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Possibly one of our worst hotel experiences ever. Bath wouldn't empty so after the first shower it was half full and quickly stone cold. We had to leave next morning without showering. We reported it to the receptionist at about 8.30pm. Staff did nothing to help. On check out another receptionist didn't to know .... just gave me the General Manager's, Michael O'Connor, email and told me to take it up with him. I emailed Mr. O'Connor and got an immediate response from him on his mobile with a promise to respond in two days when he returned to the hotel. Never heard another word. I emailed Mr. O'Connor again a week after his promised date and ten days after our visit ... again no response !! Some way to manage a 4* hotel.
Also we couldn't believe when we arrived that a 4* hotel didn't have coffee & tea facilities in the room !! When I asked at reception shortly after check in I got a one word very curt answer 'NO'
We paid €129.00 for the privilege of staying at Bono's and Mr. O'Connor's 4* Hotel.
There are plenty of other fine hotel in Dublin ..... Stay somewhere else !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gerrymac38
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Clarence for our Honeymoon Feb-March 2010. The staff were AMAZING from the first minute we walked in the door. Our plane had arrived early and the taxi drive avoided all traffic, so we arrived at the hotel 2 hours prior to check in. We were dead tired from our 13 hour flight and the staff was able to get us into our room an hour and half early!

The location is absolutely perfect since we did not have a car. We walked all over Temple Bar area, and rode down the River Liffey.

My biggest complaints are the fact that they could not get us into a river-view room as requested although we booked 4 months in advance and came during the slow season. And in the main dining room, they had the same 4 songs on repeat...over and over and over! We ate breakfast there every morning during our 6 night stay and it was the same awful songs each morning.

When we make it back to Dublin, we will most likely consider staying at the Clarence again. The location is just impecable!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarisaD169
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed at the Clarence in Dec 2012 on a 4 night city break. Location is right near to the Temple Bar area, so is surrounded by noisy places, but I found the hotel to be a nice peaceful retreat from the surrounding area. The decor in my view is fantastic. Beautiful wooden floors and doors throughout and decorated very nicely. We stayed in a room at the back of the hotel and did hear some music at night, but it did not stop us sleeping.
We didn't eat at the restaurant, but had breakfast room service a couple of times which was very nice indeed.
Our room was lovely, but the bathroom was in need of an upgrade. It gave me the impression that the rooms had been refurbished but not the bathroom. Having said that it was clean and the shower was very good with plenty of hot water and powerful. The bed was not the most comfortable and the mattress seemed to be a very cheap sprung one.
The room was missing a couple of things that I would expect from a 4 star hotel, tea and coffee facilities, iron etc. The television was a complete joke. It was about the size of an iPad and wasn't worth watching as it was so small. Needs a nice flat screen built onto the wall.
There is a modest bar in the hotel where the staff are friendly and half price cocktails very good.
Now for all you U2 fans out there, after returning from a night out we walked past reception to have a night cap in the bar, and as we walked down the corridor, Bono walked straight towards us. Yes, it was the real Bono, in the bar on a family do. So, if you are a fan and don't believe you'll ever meet a member of the band in Dublin, well it is possible, happened to me, I promise !

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple