“Expected More ....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
UK
“Expected More ....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Being a regular traveller to Dublin, I found this hotel to be something of a disappointment. Although the address is Wellington Quay, please note this hotel is in Temple Bar. Be prepared for music well into the early hours most nights. This was certainly the case when I stayed there on a Friday night.

The Octogan Bar was very depressing. No windows and no atmosphere.

The staff were excellent, but there were not many guests.

I would suggest that Mr Hewson and Mr Evans spend some of their net worth on this place, and brighten this joint up!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Ballyclare, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at The Clarence a few times and have always really enjoyed the experience. We were particuarly fond of the Tea Room and it's exciting and unusual menu. We booked there to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday in 2009. Due to the wonderful experience we experienced then, my husband booked The Clarence two weeks ago for my 40th birthday. Unfortunately we were extremely disappointed and I am sad to say we will not be returning to The Clarence. There were no special touches other than an upgrade to a balcony room overlooking the noisy and unattractive Temple Bar area (we had previously been treated to a suite overlooking the Liffey). That was the sum total of it despite the fact that this had been booked in August and my husband had emphasised that this was a special occasion. In the end I wished I had stayed at home with my children (the staff did not even acknowledge that this was a special occasion). To top it all we had a very poor meal in the Tea Room (which seems to have turned into a very average bistro). My husband has emailed a complaint and is yet to receive a reply. My advice is, particuarly if this is a special occasion, avoid The Clarence at all costs and spend a little extra money and stay at The Merrion. I had a real 5* experience last weekend and couldn't recommend it highly enough - it was wonderful.

Room Tip: try and book the river side rather than Temple Bar.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Clare C
Leicester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having stayed at the closeby Morrison on recent business trips I thought I would book the Clarence for a mini break. I thought the room was claustrophobic in its design and would have been nice to have a kettle and a couple of cups. The Clarence only scored over the Morrison with free wifi in the room otherwise it did not compare that favourably. Did not try the restaurant. Looked nice but with so many other options we explored. Could do with a new bath. The one we had was very badly scratched. Also cheap quality bed.

Because of wifi I might return when on business but to use as a touring base. Definitely a no.

Great location though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

What an amazing stay we had. The staff was friendly and very efficient - nothing was too much trouble. Even finding parking was as easy as pulling up at the hotel. The hotel is in a perfect spot and don't forget a trip or 2 or 3 to the Octagon Bar!! Well worth the stay - I will go back again and again!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

The write-up for this hotel are amazing, even warrants a send up in the Ryanair In Cabin Experience Magazine (should that have rung some alarm bells)? Visit this hotel with a understanding that no money whatsoever has been spent for some time on its overall upkeep - and you will not be disappointed.

Directly outside the lift on the fourth floor was a two foot rip in the carpet, which I would imagine a Health & Safety Officer would have a field day in pointing out to Management - (The glamourous Housekeeping Inspector ignored & elegantly stepped over it). Room 405 was exceptionally clean, albeit drab/tired in its decor, sad threadbare carpet & wooden floor that was so badly fitted that it bounced & peaked as you walked over it - must say though bed & bedding were exceptionally comfortable. Bathroom again exceptionally clean but enamel missing from bottom of bath & a really grim, old plastic bath mat.

Zilch on the complimentary front i.e no Tea/Coffee making facilities or bottled water - which given that we had booked this on the understanding that this was a 4 star hotel, really gave an impression of a 2 star/hostel.

Staff were lovely & must be commended on how they clean with such care - given that what they are doing is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Experienced fair bit of noise, however if you do check where this hotel is situated (which is right in the heart of everything) you cannot moan about that.

All the locals,seem to know why this place has had no money spent on it as they say the owners are waiting to extend to both sides & refurbishment will take place when that transpires, if this is the case - owners hurry up & sort it - cause until you do - there aint gonna be any repeat business from us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ilovegoodservice659
Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked last minute as some friends of ours were over from the states.Our first visit.The location is very convenient as we arrived by train to Houston and is close to the city centre.All contact with staff was excellent. We stayed in room 315 which was well appointed, good bathroom, lots of storage, comfy bed and good linen. Most important on a busy Saturday night in Temple bar, it was quiet.Breakfast in bed the following morning was on time and excellent and arrived with a complimentary Sunday newspaper. We will be back.

Room Tip: Centre of hotel on weekend as there is lots going on in temple bar!
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael R
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Clarence is long overdue a facelift and can no longer survive on a reputation for quality and elegance that is now completely undeserved.
The room my wife and I were given - a deluxe king room - was dull, malodorous and shabby. There had no character whatsoever and it looked out onto a dirty graffitied inner courtyard containing rubbish bins, used beer casks and other discarded hotel junk.
The bathroom tiles were cracked, the bath stained and the walls in need of a good lick of paint. There was an occasional table in the room which was chipped and losing its veneer and, as the wooden shelving in the bathroom, needed varnishing.
The room was stuffy and uncomfortably hot. There is no air conditioning and opening the windows was not an option given the level of the nightclub/disco on the floor below. Even with the windows closed the noise disturbed our sleep.
The television in the room was laughable. No, it was an insult, being the size of a small laptop or ipad. In trying to watch the Ryder cup golf from the position of the bed I couldn't see the ball. Never mind the ball; I couldn't even see Rory McIlroy's head.
Other negatives include the facts that there was no complimentary bottled water left out in the room, there were no tea or coffee making facilities and there was no hotel car parking available. Things one might expect from a quality hotel. Their car park was full, tea and coffee could be ordered from room service only and water was 3 euro 50 for a small bottle out of the mini bar.
I have honestly stayed in far, far nicer rooms in 2 star hotels. I have stayed in far more pleasant rooms in bed and breakfasts.
Do not stay here. Check out the other hotels in the vicinity instead. I brought all my concerns to two members of the hotel staff only to be told, with a shrug of the shoulders, that all the rooms were much the same and that, yes, the size of the television was a bit ridiculous.
I have rarely been so disappointed in a hotel.
I will never stay here again and I would strongly advise anyone else from doing so.

Room Tip: Certainly not 214. If possible get a room looking out onto the Liffey.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple