“Noise makes it impossible to sleep”

Paramount Hotel Temple Bar
Ranked #66 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed April 21, 2011

The Paramount Hotel has a good location, beautiful rooms, and helpful staff. But the noise during nighttime and early morning is going to be intolerable for all but the heaviest sleepers. I was planning to stay there for a week, but I wound up checking out after two nights and three changes of room since I'd been able to get almost no sleep. The music and drum beats from the nightclub on the ground floor were clearly audible even in the "quiet" part of the hotel, and earplugs weren't of much help in drowning out the bass-range sounds. On top of that, there was a colony of pigeons living on the roof of the building across from my window who started shrieking every morning at sunup.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,435)

Reviewed March 30, 2011

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Paramount. It was an excellent location with ability to walk to many bars and restaurants all within 5 minutes. Staff was friendly and rooms were clean but not huge. You could hear the bar a little bit downstairs, but I was on the 2nd floor and it didnt keep me up. Free wifi was nice. Overall we got great value for the money and would highly recommend this to anyone who is visiting Dublin and wants to be in the action.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

Great little Hotel, friendly staff and good value clean rooms. What makes this Hotel special is the location, it's right in Temple Bar and close to tons of great bars (especially for the Gay oriented bars) and lots of restaurants close by too. Amazingly fast (for a hotel) free wifi was the icing on the cake.
If I had to pick fault, the breakfast is lack lustre and of a lower standard than other 3 stars I've stayed in, but plenty places to eat close by so not a great problem.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2011

A hotel with a very good location, very kind staff and good breakfast (we could choose from Full Irish, Vegetarian or Continental). I must say that when we arrived we were a little afraid about the noise (we read all the comments from tripadvisor). We received a room on the 2nd floor opposite to the bar. In one night we could hear some noise but it was insignificant, I didn't disturb at all our sleep !
The room was clean, the sheets and towels were clean and were changed every day. We also had hot water everyday and heat in the first days, afterwards the weather got warm so we believe they stopped it, but in the room wasn't cold.In the night we didn't use the extra blanket.
The wireless internet worked well and it was free.
Also the hotel was safe.

At cons it was the double bed which were 2 single mattresses and the small details like the window curtain from the bathroom which should be replaced with a new one.

Reviewed March 24, 2011

This is a great hotel in Temple Bar area. The entrance is a bit tricky to find at first but this hotel is super clean and looks recently renovated. Professional staff. Rooms were clean, nice furniture, good beds. Bathrooms are modern and have good shelf space. The hotel is not beat up looking anywhere. As anywhere in Temple Bar it is a noisy area and the streets echo the late night partiers. WIFI was good and free! Check out the Italian Restaurants in the area. they are several EXCELLENT places like Il Boccaro and Botocelli. I may have butchered the spellings but it is close enough. LOL

Reviewed March 16, 2011

The location of this hotel is great! It is right in the thick of Dublin and it is easy to walk to many of the restaurants and bars. The hotel itself was also very nice, clean, and comfortable for the price.

The one thing to keep in mind is that because of the location, the hotel can get a bit loud. There is a really fun bar with live music downstairs and it goes late on the weekends. If you are looking for a nice quiet weekend you might want to look into other options.

1  Thank jskessler
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I decided to book this hotel as it was right in the heart of the Temple Bar district so it was perfect for an evening of partying.

I travelled to this hotel from Dublin airport via the airport bus service which I found to be the cheapest and most efficient way to the hotel. The bus was also very easy to find. If you come out of the airport and take a left, you will find a collection of bus stands. Just look for the 748 stand (1st on the left). The buses leave every 10mins so you never have to wait longer than necessary.

A single ticket to the city centre costs 6EUR which you can either purchase on the bus or you can buy a ticket from the ticket machines near the bus stop. The journey into the centre from the airport was around 20mins. The stop you need for this hotel is O'Connor Bridge. Tell the bus driver that you need Temple Bar and he will let you know when you need to get off.

After getting off the bus, I then had the task of finding the hotel, which I found to be quite difficult as you are dropped off just short of Temple Bar. So you will need to ask directions to the Temple Bar area or if you run into trouble, don't keep walking around - just jump in a taxt and it will only cost you around 5EUR.

Once I got to the hotel, I found the entrance hard to find. The hotel is basically above a bar called the Turks Head. So once you get to the bar, walk around the corner to the left of the street and you will find the wooden revolving doors for the hotel.

I arrived around 11:30 and was able to check straight in despite the later check-in time of 2pm. I found the desk staff very helpful so good first impressions so far.

The hotel itself was a lot older than expected with carpet pretty much everywhere, long narrow corridors and creeky floors. Upon entering my room, I found it to be exceptionally clean and comfortable with the heating on. The bathroom was also spotless so that was a plus. I booked a small room which I found had no minibar, which was a disappointment as I was absolutely starving! I ordered a quick bite from the menu instead. The food was actually very nice and so was the wine :-)

From then on, I didn't spend much time in the hotel. I arrived back around 1AM and found that there was some noise coming from bars/clubs outside, but this didn't really bother me. Most of the reviews commented about the noise, but then why choose to stay in Temple Bar if you want peace and quiet?!

All in all, this hotel made for a lovely trip to Dublin. I would definitely return at some point in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo