D4 Urban Cafe
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My Wife and i where here on Thursday night with one of these Deals we had no problem getting our seat the Waitress was very Friendly. The Food was excellent unlike what the previous reviewer had she must have been there on a bad night.Will be back Thanks again for a Good night.

2  Thank leojake

Reviewed December 5, 2012

went here with a grabone voucher tonight.sat there 15 minutes before being offered a menu-despite being the only people there!spent time decinding what to have only to be told no chicken wings and no chorizo(in several dishes).starters of mushrooms on toast and red pepper bruschetta were both tasty.main of seafood alfredo -sauce was tasty but watery, fish overcooked and clearly frozen.other main was "steak" with egg, portobello mushroom and mash & peas & onion rings -more like a rasher, peas over cooked,onion "strings" more apt a description for the greasy rubbery mess on he plate."dessert" and i use the term loosely -was choice of carrrot cake, lemon drizzle or sacher cake -basically all the same "loaf" cake with different additions -were the dryest most tasteless cakes I have ever encounterd.we both barely swallowed the mouthful we ate.when asked why we didnt eat,the waitress(again use the term loosely) denied it was dry, insisted the "chocolate" one i had was sacher cake(perhaps she made herself?) then offered us another slice -of the same cake!!!there was no carrot cake but despite there being other cakes there nothing offered.she then said different people had different tastes -at that point id had enough and said we were 2 different people with 2 different tastes & cakes & i wouldnt give it to my dog!she said she would check -then ignored us and didnt come back!i forgot to mention the smoke from the cook(open kitchen in middle)so they kept opening doors and it was freezing.so -good value from the voucher, normal menu overpriced and cakes woeful!service poor -would not go back if paid!

1  Thank alison k
Bob U, General Manager at D4 Urban Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts about your visit in dfour urban cafe. I was very disappointed to hear that you had a bad experience with us. I greatly value all feedback both positive and negative from all our customers. I'm sorry Alison that you had to wait 15min to place your order. But you did arrive at 6:05pm and your booking was made for 6:30pm. We don't open for dinner until 6:30pm. As our food is cooked to order we are still organisising our kitchen at 6:00pm. Yes unfortunately our supplier had not delivered the chorizo and chicken wings on the day. As most of our food is fresh and delivered daily this was out of our control. We did have many other starters for you to choose from and as you said they were just as tasty. You were both disappointed with the mains as well. As far as I know our steaks are 8oz Hereford 30 day aged beef. I don't think I have ever seen an 8oz rasher. If the onion rings and peas were not up to your standard I do apologies for this. But our onion rings are cut thin not to overpower the grilled to order steaks. The seafood alfredo pasta is in a light cream sauce with fresh salmon, cod and prawns. Yes the prawns are frozen. It is an industry standard to use frozen prawns. Only high end 5 star restaurants would have the budget to use fresh peeled prawns. We are a cafe. You were not happy with the deserts as well. I can tell you we make our cakes in house with the best ingredients and no preservatives. The lemon drizzle could have been a little dry; this does happen with fresh homemade cakes. The sacher is a cake made with100% Belgium chocolate. as far as we could see this cake was not even touched on the plate that you returned. How could you have known it was dry? I am puzzled at the fact that we are the only review you have made on this site that you just opened. I do agree we sometimes get some things wrong. Everyone has a bad night. But in your view it was all wrong from starters to main courses to desserts. The coffee and hot chocolate was even left untouched. Why not ask to speak to a manager? If I look at all the other reviews on this site yours truly stands out of the norm. I read all the comment cards other customers left on the night. Yours was the only one that was negative. I must apologies to you if you thought the waitress was rude and absent. This is out of character for us all. I do take all comments seriously and will look into this in more depth. If you send me an email I will see what I can do to get you a new voucher.

Kind regards
Bob Urbano

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We came here on a Groupon Deal and unfortunately did not book. They were very busy, but after explaining that we were very hungry, they sat us at a table and then apologised that it miight take them some time to fill our order. This was fine as they had warned us in advance, unlike some places that just leave you!

To start, I had the jalapeño poppers and they were delicious. Have never found them done well in Ireland, so was a risk, but one that was worth it, they are the right balance of spicy and cool. Himself had the soup, which came with lovely fresh bread.

For dinner I had steak and he had the chicken and chorizo stew. The steak wasn't the best I'd ever had, but definitely still tasty, amd there was nothing wrong with it and the mash potatoes were FAB!! His stew is still being talked about, hearty and hot, perfect for warning you up at this time of year. If you are a fan of chorizo or stews, get this!!

The chef then at the end came and apologised for the wait, and asked us if we liked the food and if we had any suggestions. We chatted to him for a while, which is a nice touch.

The place itself isn't fancy. That's fine. I like that about it, gives it a neighbourhood kind of feel. I've been in for brunch before and always found it delicious and laid back. It's not fine dining, it's good, no, great, home cooked food, with a friendly staff and atmosphere and this is what I want from a place to eat. The prices are so good, I'd rather they kept them down than fancied the place up aesthetically. It's also BYOB and there's no corkage fee.

2  Thank Orourkel
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'm not often prompted to write reviews unless a place is particularly good or bad, but a recent visit to D4 Urban cafe makes me wonder if I was in the right place,- going by the other reviews on this site. Group of 5 friends with reservation - we were placed on two small tables - one circular & one square "pushed together" ,- at the front window, right beside a very smokey kitchen area. Two of the mains ordered were not available (the waitress did not inform us of this initially) - in addition we ordered rosti potatoes but seemingly as these were not available either, were just replaced with mash - again without informing us? Lamb steak was only a gigot chop - overcooked and tasteless. We didn't complain on the night, but the waitress offered (only two ) of us free coffee as we obviously hadn't eaten our meals. The menu appears to be good value especially with bring own bottle, but poor meals are never good value. The smoke from the kitchen and the rickety table setup made for a very uncomfortable night out, which none of us will repeat at this venue.

4  Thank GeraldineM53
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stopped in for lunch with my mom and sister, it's a pretty small place with peculiar decor but our waitress was really nice and their food is really good. I have to say my favorite is their chips, you can tell they were freshly made and they reminded me of my nonni's home fries! I had the mild chicken wrap which had great flavor and the bread was delicious. Would definitely recommend to people in the area.

2  Thank mnm0407