“Just Don't”

Ranked #72 of 105 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Milton ON
“Just Don't”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

If you have viewed the other reviews and still go ahead and book this place, you'll get what you deserve, and believe me, it's not much that you'll get. I booked this with a friend in late September and the problems started before one could even get through the door....which took some doing with an absentee operator. If you don't know what "bait and switch" means, you soon will. There were phoney problems with the booking availability, all designed to entice you to book direct and bypass the booking agency.Then the problems began...maybe a place off premises.....or if you don't like that idea, maybe a bigger room on site for a fistful of Euro more than your original booking. This operators motivation seems to be to maximize income and minimize expenses. Take the continental breakfast. You will be hard pressed to recognize it as anything from a continent on this earth. Every item is portion controlled......self served all right, and whisked out of sight when the operator thinks you have had your share. Count yourself lucky if you find coffee and juice. Don't bother complaining...despite the B&B type of promotion, you will be promptly reminded that this is a guest house, so find the door or find your wallet. If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to stay here, do yourself a favour while waiting for someone to answer the door.....go buy some towels and soap. You'll need them soon enough. There are better places to stay....if you can sleep on a plastic bench, at least the rail station has hot water.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Four_Fifteen_Delta

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Like many other reviewers, we stayed here because we were desperate. It was one of the last rooms available in all of Dublin and there is a reason for that. One of the worst places ever. On arrival there were no outdoor lights and no house number so we had to hope we were at the right place. Unfortunately, we were! Curtain was hanging from the rod, shower was dirty and there were no towels. I had to hunt him down for two thin towels. The advertised breakfast didn't exist. And I was told that if I used a dredit card I would be charged extra even though the booking didn't mention that. I had to demand a receipt and it didn't include the extra fee. I asked if that was the price that would appear on my credit card bill and he just turned away. If you find yourself needing a room and this is the only place available, sleep in your rental car!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smknutson
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The only reason we stayed here, is that we were desperate. No other rooms were available in Dublin that night. When we arrived at 6P.M., no one was there to let us in. After waiting outside at least 20 minutes, another guest came downstairs to let us in the locked front door. We waited another 10 minutes in the hall for the owner?manager? to arrive. He asked if I had a reservation [which I did on Booking.com] and when I gave him the confirmation #, he told me I had cancelled the reservation. Now why would I do that??? He said he'd told Booking.com that I was a no-show, and yet there I was. No towels, no soap in the room. Light over the bathroom mirror had a bulb, which was burnt out. Bathroom ceiling fixture was falling away, and the fan was not operational and was full of dirt and grime. Curtains were falling off the rod. I could not charge my tablet as the electrical sockets were blocked. When we came back after supper it was so dark. There were no exterior lights in the parking lot or at the front door. It was next to impossible to see to put the key in the lock. Breakfast was a joke...he made a cup of instant coffee and 2 slices of toast. On the table was a partially-used tub of margarine and shared jam jars. One guest asked for cereal and a box of corn flakes was plunked on the table. The guest asked for a bowl, then a spoon. The owner literally threw the spoon into the bowl. The guest had to ask for milk, which the owner poured onto the guest's cereal and promptly put back into the fridge. When I asked for clarification why my reservation had been cancelled by him, he yelled at me and told us we were bad people. He lied and said our taxi had left. We gladly left the place and as we got to the sidewalk our taxi arrived. What he charged for the room confirms he is only in it for the money. We paid only €20 more for 3 nights in a wonderful B&B in Galway, complete with Full Irish breakfast. Avoid this place at all cost.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wheels2g0
Tipperary
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed here due to the lack of availability of other hotels/B&Bs during the Ireland-Sweden soccer game. It turned out to be the worst place I've ever stayed in and it was a complete rip-off considering the quality of the place and our experiences with the owner. Upon arrival the outside of the B&B looked unappealing and unkept because of the amount of litter that was around. When we went inside the owner seemed too preoccupied with net surfing to even greet us, eventhough he was aware of our arrival. When we booked it was stated that check-in was 3 o' clock but yet when we arrived after 4 we were told that the room still was not ready and that we'd have to wait until 6. During all of our interactions with the owner his manner can only be described as rude, unaccommodating, unattentive and by the end of the stay he had succeeded in making us also feel uncomfortable, so much so that we placed a chair against the locked door during the night. The room was considerably cold and I would not have liked to be staying there during colder weather. I also expected that some soap would be provided in the bathroom but there was none. I would barely consider this a B&B and the only pleasure I got from my experience of it was to leave first thing in the morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
dublin
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked a room at this guest house on booking.com, the owner called us & asked that we cancel the booking through booking.com & book direct through him, we do so, a 6 bed room for €189. When we arrived yesterday morning, an "employee" informed us that there was no rooms available at this rate, he did however have a room for €263. When we produced our email confirming the price of €189 he said he would go & check with his "boss", he returned & told us that he only has one room & we could either pay €263 for it, or go.
Towels are a euro.
Breakfast is make your own tea & toast & then clean up after yourself.
This Guest House is a horrendous experience, the worst place we have ever stayed.
Should be closed down.
Frances Brennan is the man to close this place down.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank tasharooo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed here on the 21st June. Absolute disgrace. No towels in room, we had to ask 3 times before we got 2 towels even though there were 4 of us staying in the room. We were told that breakfast was only served between 7 and 8 a.m. Saturday morning which consisted of tea and toast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No tea/coffee facilities in room and owner very keen to get money but absolutely no interest in guests........ complete rip off considering we paid 160 euro for the room.

Room Tip: don't book at all
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bevid
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Similiar to dw100uk I booked a room in March to stay there in may for the rugby. All ok until got an email from bookings.com to say there was an issue with my card details. Resubbmitted them but was told there was still an issue. rang the guest house and the person there said to cancel the booking and rebook the same room. Did this but now the room had gone from 99 to 149. Contacted guest house but they said the price rise was due to how late I'd booked and that it was a busy weekend in Dublin because of the rugby!! Obviously they are trying to make a killing because of the rugby demand. Wont touch them with the longest stick in the world.

Room Tip: There are none
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends