“A DUMP”

Ranked #73 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
County Kerry, Ireland
“A DUMP”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed here for one night freezing cold,no curtains on one small window and curtains on other window all mildew marks was afraid to get into the bed just appaling in this day and age and not cheap a hostel would be better. The only good thing is the location to Croke park but Id rather have walked for 2 hours than stayed here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Lurgan, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

On Friday 20 July 2012, I made a provisional on-line booking (via Booking.com) for a room at the Croke Park View Hotel, Dublin (Tel 00353 18570092). The reservation documentation showed that cancellation would be “free” until 23:59 hrs on that date - 20 July 2012. I had made another provisional on-line booking for a room at another Dublin hotel for the same date and needed further time to decide on which hotel was most suitable for my needs. Having decided that the alternative hotel was most suitable, on Friday 20 July at 22.11hrs I phoned the Croke Park Hotel to ask for my provisional booking to be cancelled. I spoke to an "employee" who said that he didn’t know how to cancel a booking and asked that I call back the following day when “his boss” would be available. I explained that the free cancellation expired at 23:59 hrs on 20 July and that I needed action taken on my request without delay. However, he continued to say he didn’t know how to help me. I asked for his name for reference purposes – to cover a scenario such as the situation I was now in - but his name was not forthcoming. The employee was unable (or unwilling) to pass me over to another colleague who might have been able to assist me. My bank account was debited with a €79 cancellation charge. I e-mailed both the hotel and Booking.com pointing out the full facts of the case and asking that the matter be reconsidered. Hotel has NEVER responded but Booking.com advised me that they had taken the matter up with the Hotel but they were unwilling to refund the charge - mercenary lot or what?!! Vote with your feet - avoid!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SamSenior122
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This place is awful. Don't even know what to call it. They made us think on booking.com that it was a hotel and it was a b&b type. Service was awful. So rude swore at us all the time. Did not accommodate us when we had 4 people instead of 3. He said he there was no more rooms but we had one of his house all to ourself. It's far from the bar and all the worst areas bad location danger. I do NOT recmmondend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Hehejsm
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I wouldn't recommend this B&B. Our bed sheet was dirty and the breakfast was horrible.
We couldn't pay by card, as the credit card machine wasn't working, the owner didn't seem to care at all about the quests comfort. We asked to have breakfast early (7.30am) but when we got down to the kitchen he said serve yourself as he was on the phone for over 15 minutes. Also there is sign in the kitchen - clean after yourself!!! very bad experience in overall.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bringa7
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

We booked this place at the last moment, as this was only one of two hotels available during the dates needed. We had no idea what to expect, and it was an initial shock. We were met in the middle of the night by the proprietor, a kindly man from Sri Lanka. He was very helpful and accommodated our every request. He and his son made us breakfast every day, and were quite nice.

Our biggest complaints were that the room wasn't super clean when we checked in, he wanted us to pay in cash (despite it clearly stating that they accepted credit cards on booking.com), and that the whole house smelled like eggs when he made breakfast in the morning.

On the whole, not an unpleasant experience, but I will definitely pay closer attention to all of the detailsnext time I book!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Joshnjoanne
cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on night of July 12th. I arrived very late - 11.30pm - and recieved a nice warm welcome at the door before being shown to my room. The owner carried my bag up and promised to wake me at 7am and he did so. There was no hair dryer in the room so I stuck a note on the door at midnight to asking for one and it was there at 7am when I got up. The room was basic but clean and the shower was good and hot. Breakfast was freshly cooked with a big glass of orange juice - all made and served by the owner. He ordered a taxi for me and it arrived exactly when requested. For €59 euro for a large room to myself and a good fry up - I thought it was good value for money especially as it is very near Croke Park and the city centre only about 15 min walk max.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank CorkEleanor
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Very few good paints: Close to Croke Park (which was ideal as we were over to attend an event there)
Easy access to city centre - 20 min walk or 2 min walk to bus stop

However, far more negatives:
For 100 euros, was NOT up to scratch.
Took 10 mins to get an answer at the door (had to ring them to answer on 2 occasions)
Booked triple room, only got a double bed. No apology/offer of refund or different room.
Not in main building - 10/15 houses down road - never staff around.
Awful decor (yellow & purple walls, green bedding and blue curtains) & missing skirting boards
Woodlice on floor (when I complained I was told it was "because it is so hot") No apology whatsoever!
Window in bathroom didn't lock.
No toilet paper left for us - had to get from other guests as staff not around.
Rude staff - told to check in at 3pm though website says 2pm "has 15 rooms to clean so what do I expect"
Woken up 9am TWO HOURS before check out to be asked when we were leaving.
Would be reasonable if VERY cheap, but not up to scratch for prices charged.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends