“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of MacCoole Day Tours

MacCoole Day Tours
Ranked #86 of 224 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: MacCoole Tours Cliffs of Moher and West of Ireland DAY TOURS from Dublin seven days a week. FREE gentle guided mountain walk, FREE farm visit- have fun at our 300 year old working family farm. Met our baby lambs! Taste our mums delicious homemade apple pie in our farm cottage cafe. See the world famous Cliffs of Moher. Explore vibrant Galway City!We depart Suffolk St. Tourism Centre at 7:10am daily. We operate this tour 7 days week, no cancellations.200% local guides guaranteed!!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
“Amazing”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The tour was amazing, my only complaint would be the weather. Unlike other tours that take you straight to the cliffs, the tour guide tool us through the small Irish villages and saw the beautiful rolling mountains. The baked goods at the family home is a delicious must have!!!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The Best Day Tour EVER!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had a three-day trip to Dublin earlier this month, and it was first ever visit to the country aside from a short layover I had when moving to Scotland. I searched for a day tour to take, and this is the first one that came up. I visited the site, read about the Cliffs of Moher day trip, and signed up. I walked to Suffolk Street and met up with the tour contact and other travelers, and we walked to our bus stop. We boarded the the bus to Galway, a trip that took about 2:15. Keep in mind that the tour does not start with that bus ride! We had a five minute wait for the Lally's bus to pick us up in Galway, and this was the official start of the tour day. Our lovely driver took us through Co. Galway into Co. Clare, pointing out various historical sites, telling us about local Irish history, and gave a brief overview of our day while playing beautiful Irish music. We arrived at the family farm where we were met by Dara, Uncle John, and the family dog, Millie (Mildred). They were all so very nice, but I think Millie stole the show! lol. They gave us raincoats, ponchos, and coats to use for the tour of the mountain, which we all greatly appreciated as it started raining when we got there. We were introduced to the Billy the goat, and took a short hike up the mountain located in The Burren. Dara was very nice and extremely knowledgeable about the landscape, the flora and fauna, local history, climate, family history...you name it! It so nice to make it up the mountain and see the farm and surrounding village from so far up. It should be noted that if you do not want to do the walk up the mountain, you are able to stay in the cottage.

Next, we went back down the mountain and into the cottage where Dara served us homemade cakes and tea/coffee, for a small fee, of course. He sang to us a traditional Irish song as we ate and enjoyed more of Millie's wonderful company. (The Rhubarb/raspberry pie was absolutely delicious, btw!)

Afterwards, we went out into the yard where Dara, his Uncle John, and our driver demonstrated the game of hurling. It looked like so much fun. Next we boarded our bus and went off to the Cliffs of Moher. Seriously, the drive there alone was an adventure and we snaked along narrow, winding roads!

We arrived at the cliffs and were given almost two hours to walk around and explore. That may seem like a short amount of time, but it was more than enough for all of us. I even had time to stop at the gift shop to buy a few things. The Cliffs of Moher, in person, are more than you could even imagine they are; it's a stunning geographical area and any videos/pics you might have seen do not prepare for its true beauty. I could live there forever.

We got back onto the bus where we were driven to Doolin, about ten minutes away, and had an hour long lunch at Fitzpatrick Bar. The meal was so amazing and affordable!

We returned to the bus and started our trip back to Galway. The driver took us along the Coast Road, which is the very scenic route back to Galway. (Sit on the left side of the bus during this bit as you get the best views from that side!!) I promise you will stay awake the entire time as the driver points out geographical features, landmarks, castles, tells stories about the area, while driving along this beautiful stretch of highway. He stopped us off at the Mini Cliffs, where were alighted the bus to walk around and take more pics. That area is just as stunning as the Cliff of Moher! We walked around there for about twenty minutes, before boarding the bus again. The beautiful sights continued on for another hour or so until we reached Dunguaire Castle, where we stopped again for some pictures. About a half hour later we were in Galway where the tour officially ended. We left that bus and were given instructions on where to catch the bus back to Dublin.

A MacCoole Day Tour is the perfect way to experience Ireland whether you are familiar with the country, or are having your first visit there. I will certainly take this tour again in the future, and have told all of my friends about. You certainly get your money's worth on this tour, and I promise that you won't be sorry afterwards. Book this tour now!!! :)

3 Thank Literatura12
MacCooleTours, Owner at MacCoole Day Tours, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, we 100% appreciate your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed our unique interactive day tour, Daras singing, mum and Kasias homemade cakes, Michael Johns hurling skills:) etc. We are thrilled you had a fun day at our home and on our day tour.
Kind regards, Caroline, John , Kasia, Dara, MJohn and Milly (woof!)
Dublin, Ireland
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The descriptions of the day tour do not disappoint! Our tour guide, Caroline, was incredibly informative and friendly, even with non-English speakers and a large group. Throughout the trip she would just chat about daily Irish life, her personal connections to passing places, the history and geography of places we passed. Some other unique points of the tour I loved:
Since it was foggy, Caroline told us we'd be staying at the Cliffs of Moher for only an hour so we could go to the "Baby Cliffs," which may not be as impressive but do make for better photos since there are fewer tourists.
Visiting the farm was a great way to learn about the Burren region and farming life from John. We also got to see the not-so-baby-but-still-adorable goat, learn about Gaelic football and hurling, and have tea in the cottage. The cakes are truly the best I've ever had.
Unfortunately, lingering around all these lovely places meant certain parts were cut short, such as not being able to stop at Dungaoire Castle and staying in Galway for only 30 minutes. However, a group of us had decided to stay in Galway overnight, and Caroline was generous enough to give all of us vouchers for bus rides back to Dublin, essentially saving us 10-15 euros each.

A family-run tour company really does make a difference!

Visited June 2013
Berkeley, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family friendly experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My only complaint was the weather, which says a lot! I absolutely loved this trip! We went to the Cliffs (obviously), their 300+ year old family farm, and stopped in Galway. The family makes the best cheesecake I've ever had!

Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The most authentic the least commercial...I love you!!!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is different type of touring...They will take you out of the bus and deliver the most amazing, truly local experience. We took a transfer bus to Galway and signed up for open return ticket so that we could come back on Sunday. Bear in mind, the tour only starts in Galway and you're on a busy motorway between Dublin and Galway ( honestly you can snooze away :-) We had a great weather so the excitement rose as we were approaching our first real stop - the farm and the walking centre in the Burren. We were greeted very warmly but that was just a touch of irish hospitality they had for us. The farm was an absolute highlight of the day - we hiked up the Burren and John, very handsome young owner of the farm told us folk stories about the region, the Cliffs and the local people we couldnt resist neither his charm or the breathtaking views. We were invited to his grandma's cottage at the end, where the fire was on and John told us stories from his family life...I have to say, I had the best fruit of the forest tart, i mean like EVER! The Cliffs were stunning as always ( saw them last year ) but the farm tour made a difference to the experience, oh it really did... I would too be very jealous if I was your competition... keep doing what you're doing because its 100% amazing. It's a tour with a twist everyone should have. Be proud and dont worry! Love from Ann and Becky

Visited May 2013