“Comfortable ,friendly accommodation”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dublin
Oaklodge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in March 2013 . Teresa , the hostess was most helpful and welcoming . Vey clean , tidy and comfortable .Well furnished Lovely breakfast at a time to suit you . Teresa and James have obviously ironed out any issues since starting the b and b more than 20 years ago .

Room Tip: I suspect all the rooms are good !
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We would like to say thank you to Teresa and James for all your kindness and the comfortable spirit we've found in your home. We always had the feeling of coming home. The house is in a perfect location - very close to the city and is absolutely beautiful both inside and out. The rooms were really spacious, comfortable and felt like home away from home. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and the diningroom is so quaint and gives a feeling of warmth. Thank you both for all your helpful advice on places to visit, to eat etc. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights over last weekend. The hotel is in a good location in a nice neighbourhood of the city. It's probably only a 20 minute walk into the city centre - there are buses but we didn't use them as we prefer to be on our feet. The b&b house is nice and the room was a good size. It was well-furnished although the bedroom itself was a little tired in places. The bathroom was reasonable and would be improved with a more powerful shower and less noise from the extractor fan (if you need the toilet through the night it will certainly wake up your other half). The flush of the toilet needs attention too as it continued to flush until the button was pressed for a second time.

I would have probably given Oaklodge an overall rating of 4 if it was not for the impersonal feel of our stay. Teresa made very little effort to make us feel welcome in her home compared to the many B&B owners we have stayed with in the past. She never asked about the simple things - like our journey to Dublin, our plans, what we had done in our sightseeing etc. In fact the only conversations we had were related to our breakfast and the bill. I personally expect a lot better from a host. At a bare minimum I would expect a host to ask if there was anything they could help us with, i.e. to get the most out of a stay...

Also - we left early on our final day and missed breakast. At other B&Bs it is quite normal to be offered a packed breakfast to leave with. I would recommend that this be considered.

Overall, a good b&b. I see that other reviews complement Teresa - perhaps we just had an out-of-character experience? Even so, if this is the case, it shouldn't have been. Consistency is key!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Supermac01
TeresaoHara, Owner at Oaklodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Oaklodge and I appologise for not responding sooner but I have been unable to access "manage my response" up to now. I appreciate all feedback that is received from my guests. I regret that you were not satisfied with your stay in Oaklodge and that you didn't bring the issues to my attention while you were here when a quick word at the time could have made your stay more pleasant.

However, I would like to address some of your comments:

> 1. Extraction fan and Toilet:

> I discovered the two faults you mention after your departure and these matters have been attended to

> 2. Packed Breakfast:
> This is available on request and should I forget to offer it there is an information note in my menu apprising guests that alternative breakfast arrangements can be made if required.
3. My impersonal approach to my Guests:
On check in I offer information on the myriad requirements of my guests and inquire about their trips etc. and supply them with a local map to help them with their surroundings. However, I am aware there is a thin line between interest and curiosity and that many people value their privacy. I therefore, take the lead from my guests. I make casual inquiries and conversation develops from there but I will not pry.

> I endeavour to impart all my knowledge on the various activities and places of interest in the area. If I do not know the answer to a question I will "google", make a phone call or ask my family.

I am happy to take your comments on board to ensure a satisfactory stay for my guests.
Teresa Muldoon
Owner Oaklodge

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at Oaklodge B&B for a week and I was pleased to find that it lived up to the reviews I had found on this site. The location is peaceful and quiet and allows easy access to Dublin on foot or via bus/train/taxi. I stayed in a single room and while I felt it was a bit small it certainly lived up to my expectations for privacy, quiet, comfort, and convenience especially considering the price. Teresa is an excellent hostess and her attitude, patience, and professionalism added to my pleasant stay at Oaklodge. The diverse selection and generous portions of breakfast were also fantastic. The only downside I experienced was that my room (on the top floor) did not have very good WiFi coverage though this was easily solved by simply going to the main floor common area. I have recommended this B&B to family that are visiting Dublin and when I return to Dublin in the future I will certainly look to the Oaklodge B&B for a place to stay.

Room Tip: I recommend paying for an ensuite if you plan to stay more than a night - it can be a bit tedious wo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed at Oakmount for 2 nights early October. Located just outside the city centre, this is a beautiful and very upscale part of Dublin. A quiet residential street, very easy access to transport, the Airport Aircoach/Dublin bus stop a 5 minute walk with the DART about 15 minutes just past Herbert Park. Room was quite spacious, extremely clean, very comfortable and quiet, breakfast was wonderful. Teresa is a most welcoming host, you will feel as if you are a guest in her home. Very strongly recommend this B and B. Very much enjoyed my stay and will most certainly be back.... Thanks for wonderful hospitality!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Doug0
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights here, while visiting friends. It is a beautiful family home converted to a B&B and operated by lovely people. We requested a double with an ensuite bathroom, which was located on the (American) 2nd floor/ (European) 1st floor. (I did not see any guest rooms on the main floor so if you have limitations regarding stairs, then this might not be the best fit for you.) Our room actually had one double bed and a separate single bed and was very nicely decorated and comfortable. The room had a wardrobe, television, hair dryer, electric kettle for tea service, and desk area with chair. The ensuite bathroom was a 3/4 bath with shower only, toilet and sink and whilst not very large was more than adequate for our needs. There is a 110/220 outlet in the over-the-sink light fixture but it is for things like shavers and NOT heat producing appliances such as hair dryers.

Breakfast was excellent; you must try the kippers and the soda bread! Teresa and her family go all out and are very accommodating. We did not make much use of it, but the front living room is very comfortable and inviting.

The B&B is a very short walk to the Dublin bus stop, a bit longer into St. Stephen's Green area and is very conveniently located. We took a flat rate taxi (viptaxis.ie) from the airport though the Aircoach (aircoach.ie -Leopardstown Route) will drop you off at the Morehampton Road stop, which is then a short walk to the Oaklodge.

WiFi is available in the public areas of the inn though we could access it from our room as well. As to electronics, as with most older European homes there are not as many or as conveniently located electric outlets so we purchased a 3 outlet cube adapter at Home Depot (Leviton 15-Amp 2-Wire White Triple Adapter, there are others with 3 holes if you need that) plugged it into a UK/Irish adapter, which then went into the wall outlet; worked well for cameras, phones, tablet. That way you only need one of the bulky UK/Irish adapters. Be courteous and remember not to overload a circuit!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank VHTA
TeresaoHara, Owner at Oaklodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in Oaklodge. For the benefit of potential guests I would just like to clarify the issue re

Thank you for your comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in Oaklodge. For the benefit of potential guests I would just like to clarify the issue re electrical outlets in bathrooms. The health and safety requirements in Ireland do not allow the use of hairdryers in bathrooms.
In Oaklodge I provide a hairdryer in each room and there is a suitable socket within the bedroom within easy reach of a mirror for drying hair. Teresa

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our room at Oaklodge met all of the requirements of a good b&b - it was comfortable, clean, quiet, and reasonably spacious, especially for a big city accommodation. Teresa exceeded all of the requirements of a good b&b owner, as she was very friendly, very helpful and very well organized. And, with a full breakfast included, the price was certainly reasonable, especially in comparison with the cost of a Dublin hotel on a weekend night.

Not being very familiar with Dublin, we were initially concerned about the location, but that proved to be a positive. It is in a neighborhood that is both quiet and pretty, and we actually enjoyed the 15-20 minute walk to and from the center of the city, especially when returning after dinner. With Teresa's guidance, we took the bus when pressed for time, a task made easier by the fact that all of the buses at the nearby stop go to the city center. It is an "exact change" system, the fare being an awkward 1.90 euro, but the driver won't complain if you put in 2 euros; just don't expect any change.

All in all, we found this to be an excellent choice for a visit to Dublin.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple