“Good for 02, but lacking.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #21 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Tralee, Ireland
“Good for 02, but lacking.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Everything was fine, apart from 2 things.

Breakfast food ran out.. this is not acceptable when I am paying €146 for bed and breakfast! There is no excuse.

Car Parking.. paying an extra €14 per day when I payed nearly €300 for two nights bed and breakfast is crazy.

..that said room was nice. Drink prices okay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SteveGas,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the gibson hotel on your recent trip to Dublin and for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you found the room to be nice however I am extremely disappointed that your experience at breakfast wasn't an enjoyable one. We take pride in our breakfast offering and I am disappointed that the staff on the day didn't offer you an alternative during your stay.

I will be following up with the breakfast team and make sure that the buffet is well stocked throughout the morning. The car park is a public one and is not owned by the hotel however we do have a discounted overnight rate of €14.00 for all our guest and I am sorry you found this not to your liking. We have taken all your comments on-board and I am sure when you come back you will enjoy breakfast.

assistant guest relations manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

I don't really write reviews on Tripadvisor, but I've just felt like I have to share this wonderful experience I had at this hotel. The overnight stay was a surprise from my boyfriend and I must say, I had the time of my life. The staff is absolutely brilliant here, and I've stayed in a few 5* hotels in Dublin before, the service here is just second to none.
The check in went smoothly, the receptionist greeted us with a genuine smile, our room was stunning, very clean with every kind of amenities one could wish for.
Before heading out for dinner we had a few drinks at the bar and to be honest that was the worse part of our stay. The service was slow, not a smile, not a hello, they just made us feel we are a burden there, that's why I did not give five star for my overall rating.
But then the breakfast saved it all. I must say, I've received the best service ever, the one you would expect in a Michelin star restaurant. We live in Dublin and to be honest we are seriously thinking about having breakfast at The Gibson Hotel at least once a week, it was absolutely perfect. Our server, Laura was really nice and she went out of her way to make sure, we get everything we need. The breakfast manager, Jemal is the other gem of The Gibson, even though it was obviously very busy, he still came to our table to check if everything was okay and we had a little conversation, we told him about our bad experience the previous night and he was very concerned about it. It felt good to see him handling the situation in such a professional manner, he ensured us that we will never experience such bad service in this hotel and given the service received during the breakfast, my faith is restored and we will definitely be back.
A big thank you for the breakfast team and everybody else in The Gibson.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth S
Dear Elizabeth S,

I am delighted you chose to stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. I am happy that you had an enjoyable stay even though the bar service you experienced wasn't to the standards of the hotel.

I am delighted however that Jamal, Laura and all the breakfast team delivered excellent service to you and your boyfriend. they are all a credit to the hotel and I will be sharing your lovely words with them. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

Only stayed here for 1 night last week unfortunately, as the vibe and quality at the Gibson is great. We had a small seminar in the hotel also so experience the meeting facilities. Rooms in the hotel were very spacious and modern and views from the 5th floor were great. Great shower and beds also.

What I really enjoyed was the random art around the hotel such as the sheep in the lobby (picture) and the art in the rooms.
The breakfast and lunch I had were fast and delicious, and the bar in the evening had great atmosphere (despite being outside the city centre) and a great music playlist. They could offer some more snacks and food at late hours though as the kitchen closed too soon for us after our event to actually eat something, so we ordered pizza in stead to be delivered to the residents bar, which to me as an ex hotelier seems a bit weird. Why loose a chance to sell F&B to a group of 10+?

Internet speed in the hotel was great, the gym could use a better weights section and the "relaxation area" seems like a bit of a waste of space to me. A giant Jacuzzi with a cold plunge pool probably has more appeal than the two foot baths and a sauna and steam room.

There is a great bus service (air coach) straight from the airport to the hotel which is only 10 euros return, make sure you use that. It's the first stop next to the O2 Arena.

Room Tip: My room had a view of the front side of the hotel, great view from there on 5th floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ralph M,

I was so glad to read your feedback following your recent stay at The gibson Hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed the brilliant service we provide to our guests. I am very proud that the team delivered the best levels of service to you and that we met your expectations. As always I will be passing your kind words on to our great team.

I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

assistant guest service manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

The Gibson Hotel is unique, modern, new and very clean. We had venue in Residents bar. The service we received was as good as 5* service. Food was delicious, we had choice of fish or beef the presentation of which was extraordinary. The taste was unforgetable, the spice, the texture. .. we also had presentation set up in meeting room. The set up was great.
Will definitely return there again for a very special event. It worth it!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Alina292014,

I am delighted to read that you chose the residents bar for your event, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food, I have shared your lovely comments with Chris our executive chef and all the team here and we hope you will come back and visit us soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed in The Gibson for a night in March after seen a gig in The 02. The reception is located on the 3rd floor of the Hotel so when you arrive at the ground floor you wonder oh where is the reception and you then take the escalator up to it. Check in was quick and easy, the staff were extremely welcoming and quick to check us in. The room was very modern a great size, with a comfy bed and huge shower that could fit around 4 people in. The room also had ironing board and iron so didnt have to worry about clothes been creased. The Hotel is directly across from Dublin Port and The 02 and if you want to Venture into town The Luas tram stops outside the front of the Hotel. The bar in the Hotel was very busy and lively so we didnt head into Dublin City centre after the gig and just stayed in the Hotel bar. Definitely a great spot for a stay if you are going to a gig in the 02 and if you want to venture into the centre you can just jump on the Luas. There is also a bus stop outside the hotel which goes direct to Dublin Airport. I would definitely return.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Glenn D,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your kind words following your recent stay with us at The gibson Hotel. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the service that we offer. I have shared your feedback with the team.

Please do come back and see us soon.

Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Nothing much to complain about with this hotel, located right at the docks end of the city, next to the O2 (and also a tram which takes you all the way to O'Connell St). My room was huge, very nicely styled, lovely bathroom and comfortable bed. Bar staff friendly and helpful. Would have given it excellent rating but...front desk staff can be unfriendly. The young woman who checked me in is in the wrong business, as she clearly finds dealing with people a challenge. And...the hotel has a ridiculous policy of only accepting credit cards for incidentals. I tried to use my business debit card, and was turned down and told, in a not so friendly way, that I'd have to pay as I went. A deal-breaker for me - so I won't return until they change that policy.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Richard G,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel on your recent trip to Dublin and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us however I am disappointed that our welcome to you at check-in wasn't of the high standards we are known for so please accept our sincere apologies.

I am disappointed also that our incidentals policy was not to your satisfaction, we can take a preauthorisation on debit cards however for our guests banks to release the money back to their accounts can take up to 20 working days which is not ideal that is why we only take preauthorisation with credit cards. Perhaps the reception team should have explained this to you during your stay and I will be sharing your feedback with the front desk team.

I do hope you will visit us again if you were back in Dublin.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Wow, this place rocks and not just because its located beside the O2 Arena but down to everything from the staff to the rooms, the location, let alone the general style & funkiness! From the moment we checked in the staff were so friendly and warm and really made us feel welcome. The grand entrance and beautiful glass atrium that awaits you is gorgeous and leaves a lot of other hotels in their shadow. The rooms are so clean & trendy yet very practical and have everything you could possible need from a solid 4* deluxe hotel. The beds are really comfy and it was hard to pull ourselves out of them in the morning! The Hemi bar is open plan, which just suits the style & quirkiness of the hotel. With staff always buzzing around, you only have to lift your finger and the drink is poured - Loved it. They have large outdoor terraces with seating areas perfect for the summer. You can eat in the bar area or you can dine the yummy Asian inspired CODA restaurant, which we did, although either location the food is yum and good value we all thought. The location is perfect, you can literally park up for the weekend in the hotels secure car park and not have to think of the car for the duration of your stay ,why? ... the Luas stop is on your door step! We could be in the heart of Dublin surrounded by all the sights, shopping and entertainment in less then 10 mins- hassle free.. Friends that were staying also attended the new Bord Gais Theatre for a show and were there in a quick 5 mins taxi.
Would we stay again? In a heartbeat and we cant wait to return as its our new go to hotel in Dublin. We cant recommend the hotel enough and personally l think it suits everyone from Couples to families and ideal for a girlie weekend of shopping/cocktails. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.. Thanks Gibson, we'll be back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CSHDublin
Dear CSHDublin,

Wow ... your feedback is such a pleasure to read so thank you. It will be my great pleasure to share this with the entire team here at the hotel. They work really hard to ensure all our guests stays are comfortable throughout. their dedication along with our location makes it a truly pleasurable place to work.

I look forward to welcoming you back on any future stay at the Gibson hotel!