“Excellent business base for Dublin Convention Centre”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #24 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at the Gibson while attending a conference at Dublin Convention Centre, but I would happily take a short break there with my partner. Opposite the O2 it would be a great base for any shows.

The hotel atrium and rooms are spacious and very quiet. Well equipped and very comfortable. I opted to dine in the bar with its oriental bar menu while the restaurant offered some good alternative choices and was the base for a good breakfast. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

The hotel is a short trip from the centre of town with good bus and tram connections. I chose to walk to the convention centre and then on into the city later in the day, but the 747 bus route to the airport took me very near to both and taxis were readily available.

By the way keep an eye out for the clock in the reception area. Very cool.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear Graham H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued Trip Advisor review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while attending the conference, and we are glad you loved our clock as we love it too.

Manager On Duty

Write a ReviewReviews (4,849)

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here overnight . From the minute we checked in everything was perfect . We were greeted by Po at reception such a lovely person :) the rooms were very clean and spacious . We also ate in the restaurant once again service was of top quality and the food was fantastic . If I had to say something negative about hotel I could only say I didn't like the breakfast but that's just a personal thing . Really enjoyed stay here and will be returning for sure :)

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Catrionamcg,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued Trip Advisor review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your availed of our restaurant during your stay.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I had a beautiful stay at this hotel. Rooms were gorgeous, dinner was delish, breakfast had everything you want plus more. Lovely nights sleep. Plus they were nice enough to look after my bags for me during the day after Id checked out. Perfect location for visiting the o2 and theres a Lusas stop right outside the door which is so handy!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear tiptopcla,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued Trip Advisor review. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many thanks for your lovely comments regarding our rooms and amenities, we appreciate each of our guests comments.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

this is the best hotel i've ever stayed in, its so comfortable and quiet, very large comfortable rooms all mod cons, very modern and new, great food in both resturaunts and very friendly staff who cant do enough for you. my husband and i stayed here for two days as a birthday present and i cant wait to go back

Room Tip: views not great at the moment but the area is being built up so will get better, ask for a room at t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Margaret G,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued Trip Advisor review. I am so very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear such nice comments about our rooms and staff, thank you for your pictures also.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We have stayed here a few times over the last year going to concerts\etc...it's a really stylist modern hotel. Bedroom & bathroom were spacious and spotless.The luas stops straight outside hotel. It's a little bit out of city for night out but perfect if going to gig in the O2. Food in restaurant(Asian one) is just ok. Staff are very friendly & pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear CorkGal76,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued Trip Advisor review. I am pleased that you enjoyed all of your stays with us and appreciate your lovely comments about our rooms and staff.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed in The Gibson on St Patrick's weekend and everyone in the party thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The location, while not exactly central, is just a 10 minute ride in the new, modern tram system from the city centre and ideal for concerts next door at the O2. The hotel's bars, restaurant and lobby are huge and impressive. The staff in reception were incredibly helpful with advice on booking transport, where best to the St Patrick's parade etc. My room, 426, overlooked the courtyard and was large, with a huge bed and extra chairs, desk etc. the bathroom was also large with a massive powerful shower. There were plenty of TV channels including Sky Sports and most other uk networks. The rooms were pretty quiet with a bit of noise from the other rooms but nothing too intrusive. My main criticism was how busy the bar was after a concert at the O2, I feel that residents should have their own bar area. Instead we had to wait with lots of people who weren't staying at the hotel to get drinks which was a bit frustrating.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pauldawson7

Dear Pauldawson7,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued Trip Advisor review. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We really appreciate your lovely comments about our rooms, facilities and staff, I’m sure they will be delighted to read this.

With regards to the bar on concert nights, the majority of our guests staying on those nights are attending O2 concerts. We have taken your comments on board however and will look into improving on this.

Manager on Duty

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Travel at my work booked me at The Gibson for 2 full nights and an early morning arrival from US for a 3rd night, so this was not my own research or selection. The Gibson just happens to be about 2/3 mile away from an office in Dublin for my employer, located on North Wall Quay. So, benefit of The Gibson is that I could walk to the office in about 10 minutes from my room at The Gibson.

I arrived at the hotel at about 6:30AM, and the entrance door was locked. The hotel clerk had to come down the three floors from reception level, and open the door to let me in. Check in was fast. The hotel needs to know if you are going to use the fitness center, so they can program the room key. Never saw that before.

This is a very modern hotel, with typical trendy design, but also modern room controls. When you enter the room, there is a controller for your room key, which turns on the power and the HVAC in the room. The room was good size for a European hotel, with plenty of lighting.

Here's what I liked: The bed was firm and comfortable. The room was very clean and spacious. The room has plenty of closet space. The shower was large, with two different shower heads, and plenty of very hot water. The bed has a night light underneath - - never saw that before.

Here's what was odd, and what I did not like: The room had two single beds, that were set apart by about 6 inches. I have never been in a hotel before with single beds - - very wierd, especially for such a large room, but maybe just a European thing. The bathroom has one of those very trendy above counter bowls. It worked very well, but call me old fashioned, I much prefer an undercounter sink.

The HVAC was my biggest complaint. I do not like the fact that the room key controls the HVAC. It don't mind that it controls the electric for lights, etc., so that hotel guests do not run up the bill for unnecessary electric consumption when not in the room. But, it was COLD in Dublin while there. Outdoor temperatures were slightly above freezing during the day with nothing but clouds and cold showers, and temperatures were below freezing in the evening. I arrived at the room at 6:30 AM very tired, since I had just arrived from USA and slept about 1 hour on the overnight flight to Dublin. Walking into a frozen room was not enjoyable. Then, I was out of the room all day and did not return until mid-evening each day. With no heat running during the day or early evening, the room was frozen upon arrival at night. While the HVAC came on upon entry, the room has limited controls, The heat just never seemed to warm the room. It always felt cold. I could not sit in the room without being in that nice hot shower, or under the covers on the bed.

I would consider staying at The Gibson again, if in Dublin on business, since close to my office. But, it would have to be in the summer, when the weather is not as cold as this March 2013.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business