“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #20 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Great location - love the design, large spacious rooms, clever bathroom, great public spaces, restaurant and bar areas. Enjoyed our brief stay in Dublin, great that they serve breakfast so late on the weekends very civilised!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jane L
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear JaneL,

I was so glad to read your feedback following your stay at The gibson Hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed the brilliant service we provide to our guests. I am very proud that the team delivered the best levels of service to you and that we met your expectations. As always I will be passing your kind words on to our great team. I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Manager on Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel has got it all! Looks,price,staff and it's conveniant to the city center(as long as you are ok with taking the luas tram) .We were lucky enough to get a harbor view mini suite with a double size balcony(courtesy of the lovely Michelle) and it was very cheap for a deluxe hotel such as the Gibson. As I said before you must be ok with taking the luas wherever you go but the price for a 7 day unlimited stop pass thru all 5 zones is 23 euros per person and for an entire week of travel on that system it's a great bargain. We love to walk so taking the tram was great for us but keep in mind with the luas you really don't have to do a lot of walking to get to the major tourist attractions after you get off. The one downfall is that the last train back to the hotel is approx 12:15-12:30 so keep that in mind if you are going to be stumbling around Temple Bar very late.There are a million taxis anyway but keep it in mind if you book the Gibson. I can't say enough good things about this hotel the well appointed room and the friendly staff ....just book it as soon as you can!!!

Room Tip: We had room 679 and it was a great room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank daveCalifornia
Dear daveCalifornia,

alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My mom and I had three nights at the Gibson Hotel...our room was always so neat and we really love the tea they left for us to make every day! You can step right out of the front door and catch the luas to anywhere in town...especially to the city center where you can connect to all the tour buses ( hop on hop off). We had arrived a day late, missing one of our 3 nights there however they were so nice to assure us that we could stay another night....great people and loved the full irish breakfast available on the main floor...would def go again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dreamadream
Dear dreamadream,

Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed in the Gibson for two weeks during August. I spent about ten days in one of the regular double rooms followed by four days of luxury in one of their executive pads. The first thing that strikes you about the Gibson as you walk into its airy, light-filled atrium, is a tremendous sense of space. All of the public areas - including the reception, the main bar and the restaurant - are capacious and inviting and located beside an outside balcony area where you can sip a drink (or even eat breakfast) and take in panoramic views of Dublin Bay, Dalkey and the Wicklow Mountains in the far distance. The breakfast buffet (which varies in price between Euro 10 and Euro 15, depending on whether you want continental or the full Irish) is varied in terms of choice and of good quality. My only minor reservation about the breakfasts is that you sometimes have to stand up and look the waiters directly in the eye in order to entice them to bring coffee and wheaten toast to your table.

As regards the rooms, my double room had a balcony overlooking the Dublin Docklands. As a Dubliner who never really checked out the docklands as a tourist destination before, it was intriguing to be able to sip a drink on the balcony and to have a bird's eye view of this hidden part of the capital city. The double room cost me an average of about Euro 100 a night (great value). Towards the end of my stay, I upgraded to an Executive Room (which was about 70% more expensive than a double) and the switch was well worth it. I was located on the top floor of the hotel, with a balcony overlooking both the River Liffey and the ferry terminal where the large ships dock. I had a spectacular view of the maritime activities in Dublin Port as well as a number of scenic sites in the distance. And the room itself was new, bright and sparkling and an absolute pleasure for the four days I stopped there.

As noted by a number of posters, the Gibson is at the end of the Luas Line. So you can travel uptown to Abbey Street within the space of about ten or fifteen minutes. If you like movies, there is a major cinema located in the same building as the Gibson. One of the screens boasts the latest I-screen technology; I watched the latest Bourne film there and can testify to the high calibre of the cinematic experience. As regards food and drink (over and above that provided by the hotel) there is a large Spar store about four minutes walk away from the Gibson (the Gibson itself does not provide mini-bars; but there is a fridge in every room for the storage of food and drink).

I'm currently on sabbatical in the USA. When I return to Dublin, I will need to find myself a new apartment to rent. However, I look forward to spending another couple of weeks in the Gibson Hotel before making my decision about where in Dublin I'm going to live next.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Insightful
Dear Insightful,

Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Gibson appears to be a new hotel directly across the street from Dublin's O2 arena.

Dublin was inundated with Notre Dame and Navy fans for the football weekend August 31 through September 2. The Gibson staff was obviously stressed by the sudden crush of people needing dining services and other accommodations.

Despite the intense surge of customers requiring often quick-turnaround meals, the staff maintained a positive attitude and performed well. And the service at the front desk was terrific.

There is a new tram station right in front of the hotel which whisked us into Dublin in about 10 minutes or less for a very reasonable fee. We debarked at a stop near O'Connell Street (a main venue for entertainment and shopping) which is a five minute walk from the Temple Bar district and Trinity College.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Gibson and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bernard B
Dear BernardB,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times. The rooms are big and very clean and modern looking. The beds are really comfortable. The internet worked fine which is a huge deal for me. The only issue I had with the hotel was the restaurant/bar area. It seemed that they may have been understaffed when it was busy times because they seemed stressed out and not the most friendly. It took some time to get someone to come over and take our order and was told that if we didn't order now, he would not be back to take the order. I found that pretty rude. Other then the restaurant/bar area, the hotel itself is great. You can't walk anywhere as its pretty desolate in that area but he tram is right outside the hotel that can take you right into the city.

Room Tip: as for a room that is not facing the inside of the hotel otherwise you cannot open your curtains to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Aloha1977
Dear Aloha1977,

Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Lovely hotel, easy access to the city,clean, everything perfect, very ggod value for money. great buffet breakfast, staff brilliant. if you are visiting for events at o2 it is on your doorstep. parking £23 for 2 nights, easy access to the ferry

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple