“Spacious & Modern” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Auckland
“Spacious & Modern”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

My Husband & I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights whilst in Dublin. It is located just on the outskirts of the main town, but was not a problem for us. There was a tram station right outside the door which ran every 15 minutes, and about a 10 minute ride into the Old Town itself. Also Airport shuttle stopped directly outside the hotel. Both our room and bathroom were very spacious with a great shower and was sparkling clean. The entire hotel was beautifully decorated. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We had dinner in the bar the first night, and the food was very good, and the full Irish breakfast was also very good.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear “LindyAuckland”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and that you found the hotel features and our convenient location to your satisfaction. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future and in the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

gcallinan@thegibsonhotel.ie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed here when we attended a concert in the O2 - pre and post concert food and a residents bar so no delay getting served! The room is so spacious with bottled water, a seating area and magazines. The bathroom is fab with a large shower and a realy comfy bed. Breakfast is super with a huge selection, whether you opt for full or continental.( I can't wait for the next concert or any excuse to go back and njoy this hotel!)

Room Tip: Don't think it matters - we've stayed here 3 times now and each time have had no complaints...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CJG31
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear “CJG31”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel yet again and for again taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I’m delighted that you have had such a similar great experience to your previous stay and that everything was to your satisfaction. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future and if I can be of any assistance in helping you book this, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I would be delighted to assist.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

My usual choice of hotels couldn’t accommodate us on our annual trip to Dublin. So we took a look on tripadvisor and found the Gibson. The reviews seemed promising.

We made a number of telephone calls to the Gibson regarding our reservation and these were handling well – with emails following the calls shortly, so all looked in order.

On arriving late back from Galway we located the Hotel easily but getting to the entrance by car a little trickier in heavy rain at night, it is all a case of making the right number of left had turns (of course depending on your approach). The receptionist directed us to the car park – which is manned and seemed very secure – very friendly and helpful car park staff.
Being a Saturday night there were some young revealers about – but they were respectful to my wife and young sons – so nothing to worry about. On Sunday night the place was pretty much empty or at least very quite as it remained on weekdays.

The room was fine – it is contemporary, over looked the hotels garden court yard – you can see into other rooms but there are net curtains and black out curtains – we had an opening class balcony/window. Rooms showed some signs of wear which could have easily been touched up – the room safe was only secured to a wooden shelf – the bottled water was not chilled (could have been place in the fridge) and it would seem re-filled each day with tap water.
We benefited from free wi-fi in room – speed OK and you could use the house computers for free – speed much quicker.

There was a mistake with our room service breakfast that was rectified without a fuss – but the breakfast was not very good really as it had dried out. It is short tram ride into Dublin city centre should you wish to seek out better places to eat – but was only 24 euro for three people to the room, so not too bad.

Should add the city centre is an engergetic walk from the hotel, but there is an excellent tram system, right outside the door and taxi drivers are a plenty outside as well ( there are very keen for trade in this climate, so may negotiate on longer journeys, just remember to tip, as it is hard out there for them).

I would add single women (and men) might find the corridors back to the rooms a little intimidating as there few people about – not too sure what security is in place but you did seem to be able to walk through the reception area straight into the lifts that take you to the bedrooms – shouldn’t the lifts be key car operated – this is purely and observation – nothing happened and I as a man coming back from a late business meeting with my laptop felt relatively safe going from the car park to my room.

The Gibson is more clinical than it is cosy, so if this what you are looking for the hotel comes recommended as long as the decor is kept in order – it is not bad but you can see it is going to slip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fromdevon
Dear “fromdevon”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I am happy to see that you had an enjoyable stay in the hotel and found the service and the features to your satisfaction. I have noted your points about your stay and if you would like to discuss any of them in more detail please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. The hotel is very secure and we have a 24 hour monitoring room for our cctv cameras and we also have security personnel in the evenings on the front door. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, and in the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed here in late July, beautiful bedrooms and views, service in the bar was very good and attentive. Breakfast was very average, poor service, trying to order a pot of tea was hard work.
Overall a lovely hotel though,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Magsda
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear “Magsda”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I’m disappointed to see you were not entirely satisfied with your breakfast experience in the hotel. It’s an area we regularly receive a lot of positive feedback on so if you had any further feedback on this I would be very grateful and please feel free to contact me directly. I am happy to see you enjoyed the remainder of your stay with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

The Gibson feels like 5 stars from the moment you walk in. The staff is friendly and the hotel is modern but not stuffy. The rooms are well appointed and large. The continental breakfast is a full breakfast to send you off well prepared for the day. The tram stop is just outside the hotel and delivers you downtown in under 5 minutes.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scf211
Dear “scf211”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I’m delighted you had such an enjoyable stay with us and rated the service so highly. I certainly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future and in the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Athlone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed in the Gibson hotel for the August bank holiday. Although originally from Dublin I was unfamiliar with this side of Dublin and this hotel. I was very pleasantly surprised at the standard of the hotel. My room was immaculate, modern, spacious together with a balcony. I felt as if I was in a different city. Although a little way out of the city centre it is well serviced with the Luas light rail. The centre of Dublin can be quite noisy so this was pleasantly quiet as surrounded by apartments. The staff could not have been nicer and more helpful. I loved the fact that they had two beanbags (one pink and one black) with faces. These were put into different positions throughout the day at reception and always made me smile. The menu in the bar was a little limited but the food was gorgeous. The hotel had an international feel. For those looking for an authentic Irish type hotel this may not be for them! However, I would definitely stay here again if I had a business or leisure trip in Dublin. It held all I required for a comfortable and pleasant stay. The price was good as well and a deal was offered if I wished to stay longer. I went for a room only rate and then headed into the Lemon Jelly Cafe near Jervis Street Shopping centre for breakfast each morning. However, do be careful of your valuables around this area. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Very happy with room as had a balcony. Maybe ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UnaDaly
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear “UnaDaly”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I’m delighted that you were able to discover the hotel and that you had such an enjoyable stay here. It is very pleasing to see we made such an impression that you plan to stay again with us. Perhaps the next time you can avail of our extensive breakfast offering. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future and in the meantime, if I can be any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Western Ireland, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

stayed here a while back and loved the modern decor, a little distance from the city centre but the ease of LUAS travel meant that was not an issue. Breakfast was suitably relaxed as well as delicious. staff seemed to strike a nice balance between assisting and not imposing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear “SeeMMee”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I’m very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the breakfast and our friendly team. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future and in the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.