“Great modern hotel”

Ranked #22 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Los Angeles, California
“Great modern hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is a very nice modern hotel with many great features. The main restaurants/bar is beautifully decorated with lots of space, a lovely atrium, and nice views of the city. The staff was very courteous, and helpful at all hours. Our room was well decorated and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was just ok. The standard full irish breakfast and continental breakfast spreads were generous. Both the scrambled and poached eggs were a bit off the day we tried them. If you get a special and have the breakfast included in your room rate it is not too bad. For the €15 that they charge non-residents I would go somewhere else in the city.

The Gibson is just steps from the Luas (local tram service), and a stones throw from the O2 venue. The Airlink bus, and local bus service stops right out front so transfers from the airport are very easy, even with a bunch of luggage. The downside about the location is that it is a little ways out from the city centre/Temple Bar area. The Luas only runs until about midnight. So if you are out and about for a late night you will probably end up taking a taxi for €10-12 from the city centre. All in all this is a great hotel for the price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom D
Dear “Tom D”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I’m delighted to see you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back again. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

gcallinan@thegibsonhotel.ie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Really enjoyed staying here very modern, light and airy, very spacious rooms, car park underneath, great food and bar area. The only negative would be it is slightly out of the way
but a great experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear “liznotrump”,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Stayed at the GIbson hotel with my wife and 11 year old son and had a wonderful weekend. The weather was glorious which helped , of course, but the location (7 mins on the Luas to city centre), efficiency of staff, spotless rooms and chic design of hotel were a joy.
Breakfast was plentiful and tasty as was evening meal, although limited on choice.
For the gym buffs among us there are a vast array of cardiovascular machines available as well as a fridge for fresh towels !!!.
To top it off we were over to see the Irish soccer team defeat Bosnia at the Aviva stadium
( 20 min walk)... which rounded the weekend of nicely.
Must give a mention to Kevin in the bar / restaurant who couldn't do any more for us and was a nice guy into the bargain........ A great weekend

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Martin G
Dear “Martin G”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I’m delighted to see you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back again. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Kevin as well who is very popular with our guests. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I could't possibly do justice to the experience I had in the Gibson Hotel but I will try my best.
We had my wedding reception of about 150 people there yesterday and it was a monumentally epic occasion! The Gibson oozes coolness.

The Building: Beautifully designed modern, open plan, bright slick looking place. Find out more about this and see pictures on their website.

The Food: We didn't have a lot of money to play with so we wanted to make it cheaper as we were feeding a lot of guests. The events management offered us a menu which looked lovely and was reasonable but we needed to go cheaper. They then offered another one for much less in price but no less in quality. The food was gorgeous. No complaints at all.

The Staff: I don' know what the wages are like but I can only imagine that they are well paid. They are brilliant. Its the kind of place that sets the bar for hotel staff and are really friendly, professional and attentive. They believe in the hotel policy and I believe this comes from the top but regardless of that they are very good at what they do.

The rooms: Perfect. We were thankfully upgraded to the Penthouse suit which we thoroughly enjoyed for the few hours we got so spend in it but it was gorgeous.

Great service - great value - spotless - perfect!
This is the future of hotels...this is the way they should be.
If you have any opportunity to stay in the Gibson...take it. If you don't...find one!

Thank you everyone at the Gibson Hotel...you made the best day of our lives, the best day of our lives. Justin & Katie

Room Tip: Any room...all are awesome!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Justin F
Dear Justin & Kate,

Thank you for choosing to have your wedding with us and also for taking the time to post your review. It is extremely pleasing to know that your special occasion was so much to your satisfaction. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Waterford, Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel whilst visiting friends in Dublin. The hotel itself is bright and modern, the rooms nice except for the window in the bathroom which looks into the bedroom! Not the most plesant thing if staying with a family member or friend as you can be seen attending to your business.

We had drinks and food in the bar. The drinks where lovely however the food was only ok.

My big issue with the hotel comes at the early hours of the morning. After being out with friends in Dublin town I returned to the hotel at about 3am finding U had left my key card in my room. As the hotels front desk is on the second floor you have to use a buzzer to contact reception. The night porters are USELESS!!!! I was left outside pressing the buzzer for 40 minutes while being harassed by 2 youths!! Only by chance that someone was leaving the hotel could I gain entry!! I stormed up to the front desk to express my unhappiness at being ignored in the cold to be met with blank looks and responses of ''we didnt hear anyone buzzing". Least to say I was NOT impressed! Its unacceptable for a guest to be left locked out and ignored in the October cold! Due to this I would be hard pushed to return!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Eoin C
Dear “Eoin C”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I am very disappointed to read your review as I was not aware of this incident before now. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly and I would be delighted to discuss this further with you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2012

A modern style without compromise or apology. Clean lines, no clutter, large rooms with high
ceilings and plenty of light.
Quiet location well situated for O2 and a quick journey to/from Airport. Headstop for Luas nearby.
Stayed there for 4 days from 13th May. Have stayed at 27 hotels throughout Ireland and I found
this one the most interesting.
Staff were friendly and effecient, cocktails were well presented, restaurant menu and wines were
very well balanced.
Will return again.
Can be enjoyed by all ages.

Room Tip: Seems a quite area, my room which overlooked the quad was excellent but i would guess that all are...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear “John M”,

Wexford
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The hotel is very modern and chic. We have stayed in a balcony room and a courtyard room, each room had free wifi, bottle water, a fridge, lovely high end toiletries, and a safe, the shower in the bathroom is amazing. The beds are super comfy. With regard to the window in the bathroom it really is not an issue, its positioned in a way that you cannot see in unless you actually make a point of going over and leaning in to have a look, I was apprehensive before my first stay after reading some reviews, but it’s no problem whatsoever.

All the staff we dealt with were very pleasant and helpful. The room rates are very reasonable and hopefully will continue to be so

An issue I have with the hotel is the car parking charges, they are very expensive at €14 per night, it really needs to be taken into account when booking a room here. There have been times where we wanted to book The Gibson for a weekend break but when the parking charges were added on we chose different hotels around Dublin. I would not mind paying €7 per night but €14 is a bit ridiculous.

I believe a cinema has recently opened close to the hotel. And there is a small shop to the rear of the hotel but apart from this the area is not very developed and in a way it does let the hotel down, but saying that the rooms and hotel interior make up for what the general area is lacking in and I would not let it put me off staying here.

A fabulous hotel and a must to stay in, already looking forward to returning in July!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear “poppy0013”,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel yet again and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. It is extremely pleasing that you continue to have memorable experiences whilst staying with us. Unfortunately we do not own the car park so the charges are out of our control. We have negotiated a 50% discount on an overnight rate for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again in July.