“Wonderful hotel experience - pity about the restaurant”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #23 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We were going to see George Michael at The O2 and thought lets make it hassle free.

I'll divide this review into HOTEL and RESTAURANT

HOTEL:
Booking into The Gibson is a must. It's about 20 steps away from The O2. Checking in was a very pleasant experience - the staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms were amazing - modern and comfortable and I had the best night sleep ever!!! I really mean that.
Checking out was also very pleasant.
2 tiny things though: on checking in we were asked on the form if we wanted a 'wake up call' or a paper. I asked for a 7am wake-up call and The Guardian newspaper; I got neither. Again these are small things and overall - this wouldn't stop me staying here again.

RESTAURANT:
As we were going to see a concert we booked a table for 6. On a concert night you cannot book a table at the bar for bar food [there was a big queue] so thats why we booked a table at the Coda Eatery - the hotel's restaurant.
Again on concert nights, there is a set menu. Limited choice.
We were waiting for nearly an hour for our main courses to be delivered. We asked staff, twice were our food was and that we had a show to go to.
When our mains arrived I asked for the bill [to speed things up]. Most of us were finished our mains but my sister was still eating. They started clearing our plates. My sister who was still eating literally had her hand on her burger when the supervisor whipped her meal away - we were all taken aback and in a rush and didn't complain.
It spoiled our evening.

Overall - I would stay in the hotel again, but I'd never dine at the restaurant. There is a boat 10 minute walk from the hotel where we had lunch and I'd recommend booking there: http://www.mvcillairne.com/index.html

The overall rating is for the hotel and NOT the restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Dear “onemanguy”,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I appreciate the effort and time that it takes to do so. I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the poor dining experience that you had prior to the concert and for the negative impact that it had on your night. I am confident that although this is very regrettable, it is avoidable and we will take measures to ensure that this is not repeated. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. If you would wish to discuss your stay in more detail or if there is anything I can do to assist you in planning your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards,

email:gcallinan@thegibsonhotel.ie

Write a ReviewReviews (4,823)

Reviewed November 4, 2011

We went to Dublin to see George Michael at the O2. Couldn't get tickets for London. We spent two nights at the Gibson, which is right next door to the O2. Lovely hotel and our room was so comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful as well. It was very easy to get into the city centre as the Red Line Trams run from right outside and goes to O'Connell Street in about 10 minutes. There was also a bus stop 50 yards away where the bus goes to and from Dublin Airport. Definitely a hotel to go back to.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were very happy with it. From what we saw th rooms overlooking the inn...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear “LynandPeter
Thank you for taking time to post this review. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed staying with us on your recent two night trip to Dublin. It is great to see that you liked the design of the hotel and that you enjoyed the convenience of our location. I hope that we get to welcome you back soon and if I can be of any assistance to you in planning your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed at the Gibson hotel as we wanted to be close to the O2 for a concert. We could not have been closer, just a few steps away from the venue. We ate in the Thai restaurant on the 3rd floor and thought the food was very good, as well as the cocktails! Service very good throughout the hotel. Bedroom was large and very clean with massive shower. Only negative was hard bed which was a bit uncomfortable. Everything else great and would definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear “bobblehead21",
Thank you for taking the time to post you review and thank you for choosing to stay with us while on you recent trip to Dublin. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be beautiful and we are glad that you plan on staying with us again in the future. If I can assist with any future bookings please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

This hotel was just beautiful, pity we could only stayed for one night. Will definately make a return visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Dear "Bobblehead21",

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. It is imperative that we receive as much feedback as possible in order to continually improve our service offering. If there is any other aspect of your that you would like to discuss in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards.
gcallinan@thegibsonhotel.ie

Reviewed November 3, 2011

Hotel had problems with room charging and it did create a few hiccups with staff wanting cash and us convincing them we wold pay and had sorted it out with reception. Some food inconsistencies this time too, but the staff here are amazing! cannot do enough for you. Offered free drinks, free meal to compensate- are you listening Hilton!!! Used the gym this time, really nice with very modern equipment. Room superb, wifi great. Breakfast really good- ask for scrambled eggs cooked to order- yum! Great place to work from. Luas outside takes you into the city in minutes. Taxi from airport more expensive this time, but there is the air coach and last time we managed to get the service bus to stop for us. The area is a bit run down as the Celtic Tiger crashed most of the development in this area has too. But short walk to the river and the city about a 40 min walk,worth it on a nice day. About a 20 min walk to M&S food/ bars/ pizza place etc. Useful for lunch. Will be back in Dublin next March and no suprise if we stay here again as becoming a favourite haunt.

Room Tip: Fifth floor nice with outside deck space and views overlooking city
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Dear “AliSparkes”,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again on your recent business trip to Dublin. It is vey pleasing to see that you enjoy our rooms, breakfast and the hospitality of our team. I must apologise again for the inconsistencies in dining that you experienced but I am glad that we were able to resolve them to a satisfactory level. We do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again in March and thank you for providing us with the feedback of your stay.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I recently stayed at The Gibson Hotel for three nights as I was in Dublin for my birthday with a group of family and friends. The hotel was fantastic, I cannot fault one part of it. The Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and the bar staff made our pre dinner drinks a pleasure, from the superb cocktails they make to the general conversation. The food at the hotel’s restaurant was also delicious.
The hotel is very spacious, modern, sleek and clean. The rooms are so comfortable I could have stayed there another week. The breakfast was the best I have ever had at a hotel, no under cooked sausages or bacon! There was also a wide range of vegetarian options.
When I visit Dublin again I will definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone, nothing was too much trouble for them.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Dear “Hen007”,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It was great to see that you enjoyed celebrating your Birthday here with us so much and that you found the hotel to be fantastic. Thank you also for recommending us highly and we look forward to welcoming you back. If I can be of any assist with any future booking, please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Great Location for a few days in Dublin, stayed there for 2 nights 21st Oct to the 23rd Oct, hotel is very very modern with a huge airy bar location & a classy balcony overlooking the O2 arena & docklands area. Staff are very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, especially when I went to hotel gym (very well equipped by the way) & locked myself out of room! Parking is reasonable rate for Dublin & Luas tram is just outside the door.....very handy to get you around the city in no time!
Highly recommended, can't wait to get back.
Used the room phone to make 3 calls during stay, 2 of which were quite long & no charge was applied, the little things that make a big difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a 6th floor room with a view of O2 or docklands to really appreciate the location
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dfmips

Dear “dfmips”
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your two nights stay with us and that everything was to your satisfaction. We do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future and if there is anything that I can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact me.