“Very Impressive Hotel”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #24 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Just back from this hotel and i loved my stay here. Large contemporary style hotel, would remind you of an airport with its escalators and glass everywhere. The room was warm, clean and comfortable with the view looking down at the courtyard. Loved my stay here, it felt luxurious and i had a peaceful night's sleep in a very comfy bed. Breakfast was fine but nothing special. Staff were friendly and efficient. I would return here in a heartbeat. There are deals to be had here at certain times (not when there are any big events on at the O2!). Very different from your average hotel!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Dear “SophieLeterkenny”,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for choosing to stay with us recently. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again. It is always a great pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team. If there is anything I can do to be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

email:gcallinan@thegibsonhotel.ie

Write a ReviewReviews (4,858)

Reviewed August 6, 2011

This was our second time staying here and it didn't disappoint . We stayed in family room and with two children was very quiet and we got a great nights sleep .Rooms very clean and breakfast was lovely with a variety of cereals, fruit or fry. Luas right outside the front door, staff were very helpful in giving advice and directions of areas go visit. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2011
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Dear “Dalyk”,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your return stay with us, in particular the room and your breakfast. It is always a great pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team. If there is anything I can do to be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

the luas drops you off right outside the hotel. the interior is fantastic and the room was massive overlooking the courtyard. the restraunt was excellent and the sunday brunch in the bar was outstanding. would be excellent for a city shopping break and is situated right behind the o2 for attending concerts. the staff were excellent and the prices in the bar and for the food were reasonable. it can be an expensive hotel so look out for deals as it is well worth a stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear “heidiWexford”,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Dublin. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. It is great to hear such positive feedback as it highlights areas where we are performing best. I hope we will get the chance to welcome you back again and if there is anything that I can do to be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Arrived to the hotel at 3pm and our room wasn't ready, was told to come back in 20 minutes. Went to the bar for a drink and came back in 30 minutes, room still not ready, told to come back in 20 minutes... had another drink in bar (perhaps this is a way to get you to drink in the bar?!) came back again and room still wasn't ready .... decided to sit in the lobby area and wait; eventually the room was ready at 4.30pm.
Now I didn't check the guaranteed check in time but standard in hotels is usually 2pm, I'm sure 4.30pm is a bit late. If a guest is expected to be arriving to a room and it isn't ready at 3pm, why where we not allocated a different room or was a housekeeper not sent to service the room immediately?
The receptionist was nice and did say " sorry about that " a number of times but I do think that it should have been reported on that we were waiting so long.

Bar area: Really nice serving staff, nice and spacious.

Food: Didn't dine in but did have breakfast in the morning; had continental breakfast, nice selection of fruits, cheeses, meats and breads.

Bedroom: Booked an Executive Room on the 6th floor, I was expecting the room to be larger, but it was still a good size. Bathroom was spotless, nice organic products, the facial scrub was a nice quirk you wouldn't really see. Shower was great, the choice of the two shower heads was a nice touch.
The reading desk was nice, but I found it strange there wasn't a vanity table, in order to get ready I had to leave all of my stuff on the floor in front of the door to use the large mirror.
Bed was very comfortable, blind control was cool, a few scuff marks around the walls, could do with a lick of paint.

Relaxation Area: closed, which was a pity.

Breakfast the next morning: Was told we were on a room only rate and had to pay an extra €25; I was sure I had booked BB and luckily I had kept my confirmation print out and it confirmed BB. The receptionist on checkout was nice and swiftly sorted out the mixup and refunded the €25.00; the FOM also came out to apologise, which I thought was a nice touch.

All in all I found the hotel lacking atmosphere, I wasn't bowled over, sitting on the fence at the moment. If I go back, I will book a suite.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garydon

Dear “Garydon”,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for choosing to stay with us recently. I’m very sorry you experienced such a wait for your room as you should not have had to wait so long. I’m glad we could sort out the mix up with your breakfast charges so quickly but again it should not have happened. I hope that we get the chance to welcome you back again and show you these were very uncharacteristic issues on our part. If there is anything that I can do to be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Gibson is now our first choice when booking a hotel in Dublin. It is very convenient being beside the O2 for concerts etc. and the luas stops right in front. Car park available at a cost of €14 overnight. Modern hotel, very good bar and restaurant facilities, staff very helpful and courteous. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lisa1234Cork

Dear “Lisa1234Cork”,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and also that we are your number one choice whilst staying in Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you back and please feel free to contact me if there is anything that I can do to make your next stay more comfortable.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

Despite living in Dublin, we stay in Dublin hotels a few times a year just to break up the routine, and this one is the best one yet! Its a really spectacular building, and there's something unusual about the whole place, its not your average hotel in any way. The communal areas are so open and airy, there's floor to ceiling glass everywhere and everything is ultra modern and cool, and big, even the art on the walls, but in a good way! We chose to stay in a courtyyard room on the 3rd floor (which is technically the ground floor of the hotel) and it was spectacular. It resembled a studio apartment and had such a spacious feel. It was minimalist but welcoming+warm, very comfy bed and cool lights beneath it! There was a sliding patio door which led onto the courtyard which despite being beside other similar room, somehow felt very private+we really loved having the wind blow through the room. Bathroom was great, you could fit 5 people in the walk in shower, very clean and lovely heated floors. The only drawbacks are that despite being right beside the Luas stop, this hotel is still very far from any tourist areas or pubs+restaurants because 'The Point Village' hasn't really been developed much yet, so if you are planning on exploring the city, it can be quite expensive as the Luas is the most expensive mode of transport in Dublin as you are charged per 'sector' and not per stop, so bear this in mind! Also, the restaurant food was very poor, but the bar food was really great, so that was a bit odd. Anyway, had a great stay and just wish we could afford to stay more often!

Room Tip: Dublin does not have the most amazing panoramic rooms so I think courtyard rooms are the better choi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amidub

Dear “amidub”,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular the room. It was also very pleasing to see that you find us to be one of the best hotels. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy the food in the restaurant and I will pass on your feedback to our head Chef. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to assist.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

Just back from a two night stay here having been in Dublin for the Prince concert at Malahide. I was overall very impressed with the hotel - it's very modern with a number of nice touches to lift it above other hotels. These included things such as the room having a balcony to sit out on, complimentary bottle of water, speakers in bathroom so you can listen to music, etc whilst showering.
The surrounding area, it has to be said, does not offer much in the way of shops, bars or restaurants but there are good transport links with the Luas and airport buses. Also, I did eat in the hotel bar and enjoyed my chilli beef ramen!
The only real downside in my stay was the fact that the relaxation facilities which I had read about prior to booking my stay were not open. These were purported to include sauna, steam room and two copper Zen baths. In actual fact, these have never been open since the hotel opened for business, despite still being mentioned in the hotel welcome pack. As a lone traveller on this trip, I had been looking forward to some quiet downtime and was obviously very disappointed to find these weren't actually in operation.
That aside, I loved the hotel but do advise caution if you're hoping to soak or steam!

• Stayed: July 2011

Dear “MarksterD”,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Dublin. I must apologize about the relaxation Suite as the works are still ongoing. The welcome packs too will be updated. We too look forward to when the development is finished at the Point Village as this will provide even more attractions for our guests. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any requests as I would be delighted to help you plan your next stay.