“Fantastic!”

Ranked #21 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Limerick, Ireland
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My girlfriend and I booked in to the Gibson to celebrate our engagement, and we couldn't have chosen a better place to stay. First off, we were upgraded to a Junior Suite by the staff and had a note left in our room congratulating us, with a few chocolate strawberries and fancy muffins. the room itself was fantastic and the balcony was large enough to have a party on! The room also came with robes and slippers, ironing board, fridge (no mini bar) and a large flat screen TV. I know this was a suite but from some of the other rooms we passed, they didn't look that much smaller and I think a lot of them had balconies as well.

We booked room only, but I think breakfast was €10 each per day which is very good for hotels, not to mention Dublin! Having said that, we stayed in bed so can't comment on how good/bad it was.

Positives: Prices are very good for Dublin. Luas and O2 Arena outside the hotel door. Very trendy. Staff were excellent and really seemed like they enjoyed working there, something you can't fake.

Negatives: Views from the hotel aren't great (Dublin Port one side and Railway yard the other) and it's located in an area that was undergoing extensive redevelopment which has ground to a halt. €14 per night parking.

I'd definitely go back!

Room Tip: We booked last minute and got 10% off.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Dear “darraghgaffney”

Thank you for choosing the gibson hotel to celebrate your very special occasion. It always gives us great pleasure to know our guests enjoy the extra lengths we go to in order to make their stay more enjoyable. I am delighted to see that you would definitely come back to stay with us. If there is anything that I can do to help you plan your next stay please do not hesitate to contact me.

email:gcallinan@thegibsonhotel.ie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cork
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Excellent proximity to The O2 (The Point) for concerts & activities in the Point Village. The Luas (tram) Red line passes right outside the door which also passes the main train stations in the city.
Reception is on the 1st floor & they have been very welcoming on the few occasions I have stayed there. The bar is huge (to cater for concert crowds I presume), the bar food was fine when I ate there. Rooms were modern & well appointed.
It is a small bit outside the heart of the city but a short tram ride or a healthy walk brings you into town. I didn't avail of the spa but it is meant to be nice.

• Stayed December 2010
Dear “RebelRanter”,

Thank you for the taking the time to post your review, I appreciate the time that it takes to do so. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the departments mentioned. We also appreciate that you have stayed with us on a number of occasions and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed for a couple of nights, mainly because we wanted to be the O2 (barely more than a dozen steps away). But we also wanted to get into the city centre easily. The Gibson was perfect for both. The city centre is easily walkable along the banks of the Liffey or if you prefer you can take the Luas, and there's a stop right outside the entrance.

On check-in we were upgraded to an executive room with balcony, walk in wardrobe, sitting and work areas, flatscreen TV, bathroom with a bath/shower and a shower cubicle and a superbly comfortable bed. Also a fridge, complimentary water, really excellent lighting, very effective air conditioning. Everything one could possibly need was provided. It was also wonderfully quiet - as others have said - no banging doors or the intrusion of TV noise.

And there's free wi-fi and internet access, very easy to set up and use. Why on earth all hotels don't offer this service I don't know, but they should!

The entire hotel has an aura of luxury, calm, light and spaciousness. We didn't use the bar and only ate breakfast in the restaurant, but there was an excellent choice and good service.

We really didn't want to leave the oasis when it was time to go, and would most definitely consider returning to The Gibson on our next visit to Dublin.

Room Tip: Go for an executive room if you can run to the price
1 Thank Infomaniac_1
Dear “Infomaniac_1”,

Thank you for taking time to post this review. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed staying with us in one of our executive room and you found the location of the hotel to be very convenient. It is great to read such positive feedback as we endeavour to provide great experiences for all our guests. I hope we get to welcome you back soon to the gibson hotel and if I can help to you in planning your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at the Gibson Hotel for our anniversary, with our 13month old son. The hotel was lovely and we would definitely book here again for a weekend or shortbreak to Dublin.

The hotel is located at Point Village, and is opposite the O2 arena. There is also a luas (tram) terminal stop less than 50m from the doors of the hotel. It takes about 10-15mins to get into central Dublin, and return tickets cost about less than 2 Euro. There isn’t really much else around here. There is also a aircoach and airlink stop about 100m from the hotel.

The room we had was a “double deluxe” booked through Lastminute.com. the room was very spacious, even with a travel cot provided by the hotel. The bed was larger than a king-size (probably a 1.5x double). The room was very clean, had a small empty fridge, iron and board, tea coffee facilities and a Tresemme hairdryer (not attached to the wall).

The room shared a long balcony with other adjacent rooms, and has electric blinds, under bed lighting and nice smaller lamps - all very nice. A large Samsung lcd tv.

The bathroom was large, however did not have a bath. Instead a large shower with a monsoon shower-head. There was a long clear glass strip at the end of the shower, which meant that you could kind of look into the shower by leaning over the bed. As a couple I guess most people aren’t bothered, however if you were staying with mutual friends of the opposite sex, it may be a bit weird.

Hotel were also fab at allowing us to check in at 8.30 in the morning, as room was already vacated and free. If that is not possible, they have a luggage store, just behind the reception area.

There are also a café and bar, though we didn’t use these facilities so I cant comment. room service is limited but ok, we only had the 'gibson salad' which was lovely!

Overall the staff were very friendly, the hotel nice and clean, and would definitely stay again

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Prady
Dear “Prady”,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate that it takes time and it gives us tremendous satisfaction to receive such positive feedback. If you are booking again in future please contact me and I will ensure you have a bath in your room as a certain number of our rooms have baths. If there is anything else I can do to be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Overall a comfortable stay in a modern, clean and well located hotel. Reasonably priced for Dublin too. A few minor issues though. Whilst the hotel was clearly not anywhere near capacity I was not accommodated with a city view room as I had requested in advance. The shower was walk-in (no shower tray as to accomodate disabled guests) but unfortunately the drain was partially blocked and after even a brief shower the bathroom flooded and spilled out on the carpet in the main hotel room. I brought this up with reception and they did apologise and promised to investigate. These were only minor inconveniences for us, and could be teething problems still, but if you are a more fastidious traveller you might expect a higher level of service and greater attention to detail from a 4 star hotel.

1 Thank RyanMac11
Dear “RyanMac11”,

Thank you for the taking the time to write your review and for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Dublin. It was disappointing to hear you were not accommodated with your first choice room of a city view and I will investigate this as we always attempt to accommodate such requests. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and I would be happy to assist you in choosing a different type of room or with any other request you may have.

Kind regards,

email:callinan@thegibsonhotel.ie
Cambridge
Reviewed July 25, 2011

There were things I really liked about this hotel and things that left me perplexed. I really liked the standard of the rooms, the staff, the food and artwork and the big curving wood and glass wall at the side of the hotel. I also liked the quirky clock at reception. But in a country that is known for its warm welcome, 'Cead Mile Failte', I can not make sense of why - once you get off the plane and get to the hotel - you are greeted by escalators and an arrow pointing to the elevator. 'Hang on, we must've come to a shopping centre by mistake'. We walked out and walked back in. Nope, it was the right place, the reception is located on the 3rd floor, for reasons unknown. Our room, with a king-sized bed was located on the same floor as the reception, right at the back. Our room was very quiet which ensured a great sleep but the outlook over a newly established garden to an empty room (I assume it is a conference room) was not great. What city are we in? We could have been anywhere. With the brand new bathroom, I loved the big shower but not the granny-style non-slip mat nor that the shower that leaked onto the bathroom floor...and has for some time judging by the staining on the outer tiles. My little boy is scared of showers so refused to bathe for our 4 day stay. With space for a bath in the bathroom, that inclusion would've been useful. I also hated that there were speakers for the TV in the bathroom...even when the TV was on mute it could still be heard in the bathroom. A quick call to Guest Services and I was told to pull a wire out of the back of the TV. Problem solved. Other perplexing things remained unsolved: why would 2 of the lamps only work if the entrance lights were on? - what if you wanted the entrance lights off but those lamps on? Why did the fridge door and its cupboard door open in opposite ways? Why did the additional single bed have legs that would not fully open? There was a definite slant to the single bed and if one of us sat on the end of the bed, the bedhead would go up in the air. Not even housekeeping could solve that one which was disappointing given we paid extra to have that bed in our room. The last annoying thing was my own fault - I forgot to put that 'clean my room' sign on our hotel door on our first morning (day 2). I always forget to do that wherever I stay but I figure...if the hotel know we're staying here they'll know we'd like our room cleaned. Four hours later, we return for my lil boy to have a nap and our room hasn't been touched since we left. I flagged down a housekeeping staff member who kindly gave me some fresh towels. By the time my lil one woke, it was after 6pm and I assumed it would be too late (and too disruptive to all parties) to get the room cleaned. I was later told that a call to Housekeeping would have solved the problem but I didn't know that and so our room was not cleaned until the following day (day 3).

Room Tip: On following others' advice here, I found it didn't change the end result.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AOliverCambridge
Dear “AOliverCambridge”,

Thank you for the taking the time to post such a detailed review. I appreciate the effort and time that it takes to do so. I would like to offer you our sincere apologies that you were disappointed with a number of issues with your stay and I have taken your points into consideration and will be reviewing the topics raised. I am confident that the points you raised, although regrettable, are certainly avoidable and we will aim to ensure that certain room features are communicated more clearly to our guests. We would be delighted to assign you a room with a bath and with a city view if you were planning on another trip to stay with us. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and if there is anything I can do to assist you in planning your trip, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed July 24, 2011

The Gibson Hotel is perhaps the nicest, friendliest and most reasonably priced hotels in Dublin. 10 mins on Luas to city centre, really handy.. Luas nearly always outside door of Hotel. The overall feel of the hotel is very fresh, bright and modern. The decor especially the artwork dotted throughout is excellent. Reception staff were friendly and courteous on checkin. We stayed in a Double Room, which was amazing. Bed was really comfy, lots of extra cushions. Very Spacious. Fancy blinds. Bathroom was gorgeous. Location very quiet. Lovely views from room.

Only thing is they are a bit tight on ShowerGel and Shampoo. 1 between 2. However, a quick call to room services soon fixed that. No questions asked. Would recommend and indeed would go back in a heartbeat.

1 Thank finsceal-beo
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear “finsceal-beo”

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It gives us great satisfaction to receive such positive feedback and in particular that you found us to be the nicest, friendliest and most reasonably priced hotels in Dublin. We hope to see you again in the near future and if there is anything that I can do to assist you in planning your next trip please do not hesitate to contact me