“Needs Better Variety & Consistency”
Review of Cortina's - CLOSED

Cortina's
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Dublin, Ireland
“Needs Better Variety & Consistency”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We've been to Cortina's several times over the last year or so, usually before heading to the cinema. When it first opened it was a great addition to the eating options around Dundrum town centre but I can't help but feel they gone a little downhill since. On the upside, the decor and vibe is funky and the serving staff are generally quite good; they have a nice tight menu of classic Mexican dishes served restaurant style and some very tasty cocktails. But on the downside, it can be a little inconsistent; we've gotten the same shared dish (their mixed botanas platter) on a few different occasions and we've had it being great, being just okay and being pretty disappointing. That shouldn't really happen. Also, for more repeat custom they do need to mix it up a bit with their menu. I'm all for keeping it tight and quality but some guest dishes or changing daily specials would have us visiting more often.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sean L

“Attentive and tasty”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Loved this restaurant. Great menu that tastes as good as it sounds. The service was the best I have encountered and I can be very fussy.

• Visited May 2013
“Great Margaritas!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Myself and my husband have been to Cortina's on two different Friday nights in recent weeks. Since they only take reservations for larger groups, the first time we went we had to wait for about 20 minutes for a table. Otherwise, we really enjoyed the experience. It's a very relaxed restaurant and great for a casual dinner. They also have a good bar which includes a wide range of tequila. We really enjoyed the food. I especially enjoyed the "La Carne Molida Enchiladas" and we both loved the "Silver" margaritas which were very tasty. Overall I'd say the service was decent, although we did have to remind the waitress about our Salsa & Chips order. We still really enjoyed our dinner both nights and we'll definitely be heading back again.

• Visited April 2013
“Limited Menu but......”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Cortina's is located on the 'strip' (the Pembroke area) which houses mainly restaurants - situated between Harvey Nichols and Hamleys. My daughter and I decided to give it a try for lunch. It was quite busy on that day for some reason but we were seated quickly. The ambiance is cool and laid back and the decor is relaxing - lots of wood with accents of green and orange. There could be a little more room between tables as they are so close you can't help but hear your neighbours conversation.

Our waitress was attentive and very pleasant - without being intrusive. We ordered guacamole for starters. The guaramole was delicious and the tortilla chips plentiful. Our Mains were Cabo Taco Salad, served in a tortilla shell. My daughter added prawns and pronounced herself well satisfied with it. I ordered chicken fajitas and they were accompanied by red rice, sweetcorn tomalito, salsa roja and pinto beans. They came already wrapped - which denied me the pleasure of 'making' them myself !! However, they were tasty and just spicy enough for me.

We had a couple of their tequila cocktails which were tasty and refreshing. But..... the jewel in the crown was the 'Warm Chocolate Lava Cake' with Pistachio, vanilla or chocolate ice-cream. We went for the Pistachio ice-cream - excellent choice as it turned out. The cake itself was moist and warm and the ice-cream absolutely delicious. Coffees rounded off the meal nicely.

Cortina's don't have a very extensive menu - I get the impression that they are deliberately concentrating on a limited menu and going on the premise of what they do, they do well. The food is good - but not brilliant. It's good to see that they offer separate memus for 'Dairy Free'. 'Wheat free' and 'Gluten free' rather than just a small corner on the main menu.

I feel that Cortina's have got the basics right - in time I think they will expand their options. I hope they don't increase their prices at the same time as they are quite reasonable at the moment.

• Visited March 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Mexico without the tequilla or Mexican food!!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

There were 5 of us, and these were the negative points:-

- Table took a very long time. In fact waitress forgot about us
- we ordered a round of tequila's and they served us water!! They did apologise and give us another round. Apparently a member of the bar staff had stolen the tequila and replaced with water.
- There were 5 of us and we ordered a mixed platter with everything x2, and to be honest the food was tasteless, unimaginative and bland. We were all disappointed with the food.
- the drinks and food were over priced.

Positives:-

- liked the interior decor, especially the candles
-being able to leave and knowing never to go back

We found this place to have poor level of service, they cheated us out of drinks, the food was very poor and as such felt it was time to post my first ever review to try stop this happening to anyone else. We expected a true Mexican experience and Cortinas did not deliver.

• Visited March 2013