“Best meal in Dublin”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stopped in here on our search for a spot to eat on our last night in Dublin. It was an excellent find. They had a prix fixe menu to choose from if we wanted, which made it rather affordable too. The portions were large and beautifully presented. We ordered an appetizer of cockles and mussels, which were plentiful, fresh and delicious. That was followed by the fish of the day for my husband, which was accompanied by a delicious tomato based risotto and I had the wild mushroom risotto dish which was fantastic. The server had wine recommendations ready to go for me, and gave me samples of each so I could make an informed decision. My husband had a well crafted smokey old fashioned, which was an interesting twist on a classic. The presentation of this cocktail was half the fun.

The atmosphere was hip and contemporary, which suited the menu and crafty cocktails. Everyone around us seemed to be enjoying themselves as well. This spot is recommended if you're looking for something a little less traditional Irish, but yet still local, new and fun.

1  Thank Hilary G
There are newer reviews for The Exchequer

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My Fiance brought me here for my 30th birthday dinner on recommendation from a number of friends and family. On entering we were pleased with what we saw. The menu looked great and the service seemed pleasant. There were a few quirky elements such as the Ledger of Liquor and interesting art work. We ordered some cocktails while browsing the menu. My Fiance ordered the pork dish while I ordered the ham, along with a bottle of wine. Im not a fussy eater, but Im afraid I couldnt eat my dish. The ham tasted like it was doused in salt. The flavor was so strong that I couldnt even taste any of the vegetables. I asked for water to drown out the salty taste but the waitress didnt bring it. I didnt want to upset my Fiance by making complaints as it was his treat and I knew he would be disappointed if I had a bad experience on 30th birthday. I continued to push the food around my plate while I watched my Fiance eat his dinner. When he finished he went on to order a brandy while waiting for me to finish. He then asked for a taste of my ham as I had hardly touched it. After doing so, he turned away from me and spat it back into a tissue. He was more disgusted than I, which led him to seek the waitress to return the food. After waiting a very long time for the waitress to appear, she seemed indifferent and uninterested. She cleared our table and said she would pass our concerns on the the kitchen. Ten minutes later a new waitress appeared and presented the bill. We asked her what reception we got from the kitchen re the ham. She was confused and didn't stick around to listen to our complaint again. We were then asked to pay the bill as the table needed to be vacated. My Fiance was charged over €100, which included my dinner that wasn't eaten. My Fiance complained, saying we shouldn't be charged for my course but the waitress didn't entertain him, saying the plates were cleared and the food looked as though it was eaten. He decided to pay the bill to avoid further frustration. I told the waitress how disappointed I was as it was my 30th birthday and I had heard such good reviews, to which she didn't reply or seem to care. They got their money, that was all that mattered.
If I had complained sooner perhaps something could have been done to salvage my meal but judging by the service we received after my Fiance complained, I would have been wasting my time.
Very disappointing.

4  Thank haraic
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Visited here as part of a group of 14 on the day of the Heineken cup final. As a well known rugby haunt, I expected the service and food to suffer on what was a very busy day for them, but I'm delighted to say it didn't.
Our waitress, from Latvia, was terrific, well able to deal with a rowdy group, and kept us laughing too, which was no mean feat. The food was excellent, we were all on the brunch menu. I had the beetroot salad, and the French toast, both of which were great. The drinks menu is very stylish, great to see the effort into being different from other gastropubs. The entire table loved their food, with the pork in particular having it's praises sung. The table had a mix of all foods, and drinks varying from Bloody Mary's and Mojitos, to pints and ginger beers. All were reasonably priced.
It's great to see somewhere in such a prime location not resting on its laurels. Based on this experience, I can see the Exchequer becoming a regular haunt of mine, and I can't recommend it highly enough. Well done guys.

2  Thank Justfinishinmycoffee
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stopped in to grab a Guinness, loud music with a small crowd, closed before midnight; it probably isn't a good sign that all the pubs within a few blocks were packed but this place had fewer than 10 people inside.

1  Thank Kate M
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We liked everything about The Exchequer; the bar food, the restaurant, the conversations. They are very serious about their cocktails and their "little black book" of drinks is a lot of fun. I wish they would open a branch in Melbourne!

2  Thank MelbourneMeg_12