“Same Company: Walkabout Wicklow = Day Tours Wicklow = HilltopTreks”
Review of Walkabout Wicklow

Walkabout Wicklow
Ranked #100 of 235 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Breathtaking views, native flora and fauna, rich history and culture, these are some of the highlights of your Walkabout Wicklow experience. From 9.15am until 5pm, your all day tour includes an amazing 3-4 hour hill walk/ hike of immense beauty. Scenic bus tour and tour of Glendalough Monastic site also included. So get out of the bus and see Ireland the natural way!
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Consumers should know, these are all the same company!

We had two guides on our day, and it was a good thing we did for a few reasons.

I think the Hilltop Treks van was made for cargo, not people. There was no heat and no ventilation (other than opening windows) which was problematic on a cold February day. The windows kept fogging up, and we were given a dirty rag to pass around the van to wipe down the windows. Some seats in the middle of the van have no visibility out the windows at all, fogged up or not!

We were lucky to have a second guide on this day because Michael, our main guide, could not safely both drive and wipe down his windshield. If it had not been for the second guide who kept wiping the condensation off the driver's windshield (so he could actually see out to the road), I think we would have been found in a ditch at the bottom of the mountain.

Admittedly, the snowstorm that nearly got us stuck in the Wicklow mountains was never in the forecast and nobody could have expected it. Michael drove the jalopy of a tour van slowly and as safely as possible, and we are very grateful for his caution driving downhill on the icy roads.

I would rate this tour a 4 or a 5, but I really feel the tour van is unsafe and gross. If the company gets a new van that is safer and has proper ventilation, I would highly recommend this tour!

Note that the walking/hiking portion of this tour is not for the unfit - some people on our tour could not handle the strain of the walk. Luckily we had a second tour guide who could take some on the tour back to the van so that the rest of us could continue as scheduled. Without this second guide to escort a few people on an easier path, I wonder how our tour might have been compromised?

Again, I cannot reiterate enough how grateful we are for Michael's caution. Getting us all home safely was clearly his priority. . . though he might have had an easier time with a proper van.

2  Thank bsgf
Joeww, Manager at Walkabout Wicklow, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Hi, I'm glad that you enjoyed the tour.
The heating has worked every other day and tour and typically fails on the 1 day that it unsuspectingly snows & is fixed now. I had it fixed the day after your tour as Micheal had mentioned it to me. As he always checks the vehicles before and after every tour. There is very little I could do about the snow and it was very unexpected so Michael had to drive with extreme caution. Most buses are back wheel drive and great care is needed driving any bus.
Please feel free to contact me about taking another free tour when the conditions are less treacherous.

Terry. Manager

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a wonderful hike at a nice pace through beautiful wooded areas and to an amazing overlook of the Irish Sea. In the afternoon we went through pretty countryside to Glendalough and eventually Wicklow National Park. It was a great value and the group was small. Our guide Michael was very friendly and informative. He wanted everyone to enjoy the day and tried very hard to see that it happened.

1  Thank Europhile62
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We booked a Walkabout Wicklow in the Tourist Office expecting something awesome as it was advertised as Dublin´s No 1 Tour. We were told that we might have a different car from the one in the picture. That would not be a problem we thought. We were supposed to be in Suffolk street at 9.05. We were there early just in case... We waited and waited, there were other tours departing but our car and the tour guide were nowhere to be seen.Not a good start. So we walked up and down and suddenly saw a guy cleaning a grey van just round the corner, it was 9.15. At 9.25 a grey van arrived and out came a guy approaching us. He did not greet the crowd, so we asked him if it is him we should be going with. Yes, our names were on his list. Ok, we got into the van and he started talking. All of a sudden a man from behind asked the guide, Could you tell us your name? Ok, our guide´s name was Michal Byrne. Then there was another request from the back of the van - could you possibly play Irish music? That was a great idea, but unfortunately the van had the radio only. The speakers gave out a cracking sound, so it was difficult to hear what Mike was saying - and I must admit he probably gave us a lot of information as he was very talkative. Bad luck again. Though Mike tried to adjust the speakers it did not help much. The best part of the trip was Glendalough where Mike gave us the information about the history of the place but as we had already been there,we knew what to expect.All in all, the trip did not live up to our expectations.

2  Thank Marcela12
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Unfortunately for us the day we went was a bad weather day. I'm sure I'd probably write a different review if the weather had cooperated. I think that it would be better to change the itinerary for the day when it is rainy and foggy, instead of driving and hiking higher up the mountain where there is no view at all. Because of the weather we also made fewer stops while driving. Instead he pointed out stops we could have had if it had been clear skies. So a lot of time in the van with nothing to see. We did enjoy our time in Glendalough. So I guess my suggestion for the tour guides would be to adjust what you do in bad weather. Hikes lower in the mountain or more time in some of the villages would have been a better use of our time. We had reserved this ahead of time or we would not have gone.

2  Thank playbach1
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I took this tour on our second day in Ireland, not sure what to expect. Michael, our tour guide for the day was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and genuinely interested in insuring that you enjoy the day. We took an amazing hike in County Wicklow, where Michael went at a good pace, leading us through a beautiful countryside all the way to a gorgeous waterfall. Along the way, he spoke with us about the area, some history and answered any questions that we had about the area or what to do/eat/see in Dublin. After the hike we went for a drive to see some of the scenery included in P.S. I love you, along with Glendalough (a beautiful old monastery), and stopped in a cute little town for lunch. I highly recommend this tour, and would like to say that Michael was fantastic!