“great food, great atmosphere, great service... a rarity!”

The Chophouse Gastro Pub
Ranked #28 of 2,664 Restaurants in Dublin
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Dining Options: Lunch, Dinner , Private Dining, Reservations Please see our website
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Arrived without a reservation but it wasn't a problem we were seated at a spare table.

Atmosphere was relaxed and lively, the irish were always smiling and jovial. service was polite, expediant and friendly.

food was fantastic - steaks done to perfection and the veal with white pudding was magnificent.

Definitely worth visiting but we were lucky to grab a table without pre booking...

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The starters were excellent and so we were prepared for a fantastic meal. But the mains were a let down. It was like 2 different restaurants. My fish and chips was fine, but my wifes fish board was not great. The fish cake was stodgy. I ordered the panacotta for dessert and it was foul. I sent it back and the waitress came back to tell me there was something wrong with it. I'm not sure what it was, but I nearly got sick. I emailed the restaurant the next day to find out but got no reply. In fairness to the waitress she handled it well and I got an Irish coffee, and my wife a coffee on the house. But I would have expected a response back. I'll also add that the steaks did look amazing but I don't think I will be back.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We ate here on a Sunday lunchtime, the cod and chips was served on a wooden board with a small bucket of hand cooked fries - the cod was excellent ! The staff couldn't do enough for us and were in greqat spirits- worth a try but do book as the place was full !

Reviewed October 5, 2012

With some expectations we went to eat in the Chop House Restaurant. They seem to have a great meat selection.

We were three friends who went for a dinner there. The staff was extremely busy and not very friendly. We had to wait quite a while to place the order. And during the stay it was sometimes very hard to reach a waiter.

The food was okay but not more. We ordered their large Porter House steak medium. It came fully done and they took the steak back. And then we were handed an alternative which was okay.
The restaurant did not charge the Porter House which was fair.

The home made bread we enjoyed very much.

It was okay, but there is a long list of other restaurants which we will visit first before going back to this place.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This Pub is a cross between a nice Bar and finer dining. We knew that going into it, so it wasn't a surprise. We enjoyed ourselves and the dinner was good. My wife enjoyed her fish more than I enjoyed my steak. Overall, I'd say it was an average value when I compare it to similar places in the US. I don't know if that's a fair comparison, but I'll do it anyway.