The Merchant House
  • Breakfast included
The Clarence(Dublin)
Blooms Hotel(Dublin)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsoscar wilde suitebram stokerjames joyceyeats suitestage doortemple barlow water pressuredouble windowsguest houseflights of stairsunderfloor heatingdvd playercomfortable bedstreet noisestayed nightsno liftbeautiful room
FilterAll languages

Will return

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank davidrboyne
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed at the merchant house for 2 nights at the end of April.

We stayed in the Bram Stoker suite and I was happy surprised at the size of the room, I don't think any pictures really show quite the size of it. I thought we would barely have room to walk either side of the bed but we did.

We were met by a very nice young lady who showed us to our room, on the first floor but set back from the main staircase. With 3 little steps leading up to it. We barely ever heard anyone walking up the main stairs. And we never heard anything from inside the room at all and for this reason - we would DEFINITELY stay here again!

It was fully equipped with everything you would expect - umbrella, hairdryer, soap, shower gel, shampoo, safe, and hangers. The bed and pillows were comfy too. Modern and clean. The only thing which was a little meh was the shower pressure but hey, it's not a problem. The minibar is well equipped but prices are as you would expect to pay in Dublin.

It was right in the heart of Temple bar which was brill, and the breakfast served 2 mins around the corner was also very very good! and a great way to start the day. We had to wait a little while for a seat on the Saturday morning as it's quite small but it's very quaint.

They are up on the security and so you have to go through 3 doors to get in, a few keys to
carry but I'd rather that than worry.

We would definitely return in the future, why go someone else when this is everything you need and more. I was pleasantly surprised. Not because I expected it to be bad but because it was better than I thought it could ever be.

Go and have fun!

Room Tip: I'd read on previous reviews that Bram Stoker was the quietest of all the suites but I must reiterate the fact that you couldn't actually hear a single thing!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank milli447
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at The Merchant House, even though we arrived ahead of schedule the staff were helpful and stored our bags for us and when we returned to "check in" our bags had already been taken up to our room...
The rooms themselves are beautifully decorated and are extremely comfortable, wifi connection was excellent and there was even a universal adaptor in the room, which was a nice touch...
There was some noise from the club across the road but as we were staying in the heart of Temple Bar to enjoy the bars and live music scene this was to be expected and it never interfered with our enjoyment of the room...
Breakfast at the cafe provided was excellent with a good range of options and a decent coffee, while not in the actual abode itself it was so close it usually takes me longer to get from the room to the resteraunt in more traditional hotels so I didn't see this a major drama and actually liked the fact that breakfast was served in a cafe that locals frequented...
The only improvement I could offer would be to move the wardrobe and fridge from the entry room into the main bedroom and add soem seating into this room....
If your looking for Holiday Inn style hotel accommodation then stay in one, however if you are looking for a comfortable bed and quirky place to relax and unwind in the heart of Temple Bar then I don't see how you can go far wrong here,,,

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dajinjaninja
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at The Merchant House. We were traveling with our 16 y.o. son and stayed in the WB Yeats suite in April. Someone met us when we arrived around 10:45am but we were not able to get into out room yet. Since there is no lobby or public bathroom (really just a short narrow hallway right off the street), it was a bit awkward getting things from our bags so that we would be comfortable sight seeing for the afternoon. We also had to specify a time that we would be returning so that someone could show us up to our room after it was ready. We were going on a walking tour and gave a 30 minute window when we would be back but still ended up hurrying because we were going to be late.
The room was lovely, very spacious and nicely decorated. The large bed was very comfortable with nice linens, and my son said that the pull out was "OK". Some people have complained about the noise but we didn't have any problem. Granted, we were there mid week. There is a floor fan in the room that helps with noise and also an ipod dock so you can play your own "sleep music". The bathroom door really needs to be replaced. It looks great but that isn't the purpose of a bathroom door. Most people want a bit more privacy than these doors allow. We took an extra blanket and draped it over the door, which worked fairly well. Otherwise the bathroom was pretty nice. No outlet so you have to dry your hair in the other room which is a bit awkward, but frankly, not unlike other place we stayed in Ireland. The electric kettle is nice for tea and coffee. The coffee is instant but is exactly the same that we had every other place we stayed. There is also a little fridge that is stocked, but you can squeeze a few personal things in.
There is no telephone in the room so if you need to reach the management for anything (and you don't have a cell phone), then you have to go down to the entry door and push an intercom button for help. We had to request help in this way because the in room wifi wasn't really working for us. We were going to have to schedule yet another time to meet someone the next day who was going to work on it for us but after I asked for an adjustment in my room rate because one of my criteria in choosing a place to stay is free in room wifi, someone was actually able to fix the problem that evening by rebooting the router.
We had to leave our son in the room one day because he wasn't feeling well and the housekeeping staff was very accommodating. They didn't try to clean the room, and she gave me plenty of things to restock the room myself: coffee, complimentary bottled water, towels.
The breakfast at The Stage Door was pretty good, although, I think they have only white bread for the toast. You can ask for salad instead of the toast, though. They serve breakfast all day so you don't have to hurry in the morning. You could actually come back and have your breakfast for lunch. They will also make a really good breakfast sandwich (grilled egg, ham, and cheese) to take with you if you don't have time to sit down and eat.
Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay at the Merchant House. It was in a great location in Temple Bar and close to other major attractions or on a bus route. It felt like a nice refuge from the hustle and bustle of Dublin. We would stay there again and we would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank moalone
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed in the Bram Stoker suite. No view as no windows only roof windows which we had to keep shut because of the thumping from nearby night clubs. Noise stopped about 3am and we opened skylights but the seagulls had arrived by then. Did not like the rules and regulations. E.g. If we soiled bed or floor €100 fine. Escort guests of premises etc. No reception. This was not an hotel. Although we had booked and paid for two nights we left after one. One of the worst experiences i have had. Breakfast in the cafe was good.

Room Tip: Dont choose bram stoker small room no windows. The bathroom was good.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rosemary M
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Dear Guest. We are indeed sorry that you were disappointed when you stayed with us in May last. Thank you for airing your views , however it is my job to respond and I am glad of the opportunity to do so. You reserved the Bram Stoker Room, yes it is at the rear of the Building but it is the quietest . We cannot understand how you were disturbed by the outside noise. We have provided Velox roof windows for roof ventilation which are automatic , however there is also another window . This room is not a Suite but well fitted and compact. The bathroom is large and the underfloor heating is also a nice touch. We also provide 'complimentary' ear plugs for light sleepers but you did not use same these were placed beside your king size bed.
It is our policy if Guests damage / soil or stain our property that there is a charge for this. There is a notice in every hotel in relation to property damage and we are the same. We are not a Hotel , we do not advertise that we are a Hotel . We provide spacious luxury Guest Suite accommodation at a very good price in the heart of Dublin City. We also offer all our Guests a complimentary All-Day breakfast which is very popular. This is FREE for you to enjoy. We do not have a reception or room service . This is clearly stated on all profiles and web sites. We may do things slightly differently at The Merchant House but it works for us. Again, we are sorry that your experience was not that satisfying and wish you well with your travels.