“Superb”

The Merchant House
Ranked #22 of 149 Dublin B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed for one night and wished we stayed longer. The check in was friendly, fast and efficient. The girl checking us in gave a great level of customer service. The accomodation is modern, comfortable and very spacious. There are dvds to watch if you are staying in and refreshments in the mini bar. Breakfast in Stage Door Cafe around the corner was lovely too. We were also able to leave our bags the next day so we could go home later rather than at check out time. All in all a wonderful stay in this great place.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rojo81
There are newer reviews for The Merchant House

Reviewed April 23, 2011

Stayed here on the first leg of a tour around Ireland. The rooms were surprisingly large and nicely appointed. We stayed a few floor above street level facing a popular temple bar street. The location was perfect base to tour around the city. A few notes about our stay:

* There was a surge in noise around 2am due to the bars closing, but the noise died down quickly we were not bothered - the window helped insulate most of the noise
* We were informed that the showers were not pressure showers and found the facilities perfectly adequate
* After a full day of walking it was great to stop back into our room for a rest/break before heading out for the night.

We tried to book again on our last leg and were disappointed to find it full.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Booked this through booking.com. Our stay was overall good, and I left what I considered to some constructive feedback.
"The room was very well furnished and the beds remarkably comfortable. Beautifully decorated and good quality fittings. The outside of the building belies what is on the inside. The IPod dock, TV and DVD player provide entertainment if you can't find enough outside your door in Temple Bar!! The woman who welcomed us was very helpful and made us feel very welcome. The double glazing blocks most of the street noise which given this is in the heart of Temple Bar is no mean feat. Breakfast at the Stage Door was fantastic- the service there is second to none, we were made to feel really welcome- I'm only sorry we weren't staying for another night!! - highly recommended
- The shower was a huge disappointment, the owners have clearly spent well on good quality fixtures and fittings. yet the shower was a cheap electric job. In a hotel at 150euro a night I would expect a power shower at the very least. Also a surprise was the cheap powdered coffee left in the room, again I would expect better quality at these prices. Finally the James Joyce room is the first of the rooms and the layout of the building means that all other guests have to pass the room, making for a very noisy early morning. I would recommend not booking this room if you want a lay in."
And for that I received this response!

Dear Ms W,

First of let me thank you personally for staying at The Merchant House on your recent stay in Dublin. I wish to thank you also for the high rating you gave us on the Booking.com web review page, however as you took the time out to write this review, it is my job as Manager to comment on this review.

On any of our profile pages there is no mention of The Merchant House having ‘Power Showers’. During the building renovations we had modern Triton electric showers installed, they are top grade in their area and more than adequate . The Temple bar area has a reduced water pressure most of the time and we were advised not to install power showers for this reason.

The complimentary Tea / Coffee is more than adequate and is Nescafe Gold Blend. I am sorry you were disappointed with its flavour. We feel we offer excellent value in all our Suites. The James Joyce Suite is a triple and superbly good value at €150 for max 3 Guests including full breakfast. I feel your negative comments were slightly petty but again thank you so much for the positive ones. On your next visit you might select a Suite on a higher floor , thus reducing stair noise but we will not be changing our Coffee selection or providing a power shower.

Again, on behalf of our small staff here in Dublin, a big thank you .................

Best regards
Mike Ryan
Manager

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank dawnlana
Reviewed January 7, 2011

My Mum and I spent 2 nights in the James Joyce suite between xmas and New Year and are already looking forward to our return visit in March.

We arrived 4 hours prior to check in but were able to leave our bags whilst we went out for lunch. Upon check in we were guided up to the suite and amazed to see it looked even better than the website picture portrays. Spacious, great attention to detail and lots of nice touches.

The location was ideal for a short stay - just round the corner from Temple Bar and Grafton Street. There was a late night venue across the street and so it could be quite noisy in the early hours but that’s a small price to pay in my opinion.

Breakfast is served at a lovely cosy cafe around the corner. On our first night we went out to look for somewhere to eat at around 7.30pm. It was 9pm before we found somewhere with a free table! The second night we went for the early diners option at FXB which is a 2 minute walk from the Merchant House. This place was definitely the highlight of our short break. Lovely cosy setting, friendly staff and amazing steaks. In fact it was the best meal I have had in a long time. Do not miss it! We also enjoyed food at Salamanca for a reasonable price and drinks at O'Neill's bar.
Dublin is very expensive with a huge mark up on UK prices. Expect to pay around £5 for a glass of wine or pint and around £17 for main course.

I have already recommended the Merchant House to friends and I am taking family back with me in March.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank k8mol
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Very much enjoyed The Merchant House. Right in the middle of the Temple Bar District - beware the bar just outside of the rooms though as it can be quite noisy for those who are light sleepers (despite the double glazed windows). We had a little trouble with the power/lights inside the room but still, enjoyed this room thoroughly. Lots of room, the bathroom is lovely and thought the semi-glazed doors wonderful (though be sure to keep your curtains closed!). Magda in particular was incredibly helpful and a joy to talk to. The beds were comfortable, it is within easy distance to everything you would need in Dublin and the breakfast down the street is more than ample. The room was also clean, all the fittings fantastic and heating was spot on. Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2010

I know it is freezing everywhere just now but I found the heating at the Merchant House less than adequate. It is preset on a small radiator,not really large enough to heat a suite of this size. We asked for and were given an additional radiator to heat us up. We booked two suites, James Joyce and WB Yeats. Both are indeed luxurious and impressive. I didn't like the IKEA pillows and duvets, call me fussy but I expected better quality at 150E per night! Towels were thin also. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Despite the double glazing there is some street noise which in Summer I would imagine could be irritating if the windows were open. Not keen on the glass door into the toilet, not much privacy.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brid1
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I don’t even know where to start. Our suite at the merchant house cost 3 euro more then a tiny little hotel room at the holiday inn, and yet it was without a doubt the most amazing room we had on our 2 week honeymoon through Ireland and Scotland. I almost didn’t want to write a review because I don’t want to let the secrete out, but this place was just too good to hide. The ONLY draw back was that at first glance the alley that it is on seems a little sketchy. After those first few seconds however you realize that the Merchant house is next to the Irish Film Institute, across the street from another quaint little B&B and as perfectly located in the center of town as you could possibly ask for. Also, if/when you do stay here check out the little courtyard down the alley next door. Local vender's sell fresh baked breads and pastries. If you are visiting Dublin just stay here... I don't know how else to say it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple