“Tourist Trap! Awful food!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bruno's - CLOSED

Bruno's
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: South City Centre
England
“Tourist Trap! Awful food!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

It should have been warning enough that the restaurant was almost empty on a busy Saturday afternoon in Dublin - since all the other pubs and restaurants were packed and it was impossible for us to find a table anywhere. However, hungry and tired of searching, we gave it a try nonetheless. Big mistake.

We ordered a portion of Bruschetta and fried Calamari as a starter - unfortunately before we witnessed other people complaining bitterly about the Bruschetta.. When it was served it became clear to us, why. It certainly is not the most challenging task to prepare a half-decent Bruschetta; even a Chef with very limited skills should be capable of getting it right - but I have to say that must have been the most boring and most tasteless food I've ever tried. The whitish tomatoes had no flavour whatsoever, there was no seasoning, the bread was not grilled but flabby, cold and soaked.
The Calamari were greasy and tasted horrible - we didn't finish any of it. We refrained from ordering any main dishes and left.

The atmosphere was cold and uninviting, we didn't feel comfortable at all.

1 Thank Gulliver213

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Not recommended”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

One good thing was that there was no waiting time for a table. The waitress was French and couldn't understand a word I said. The food was expensive. We were given only a handful of chips with our steaks. One of the steaks was undercooked. It was very red and bloody in the middle when I asked for it to be medium cooked. The steak that we asked to be cooked rare/medium was cooked exactly the same as the medium one. One desert and one Irish coffee were ordered at the end. We had finished the desert by the time the Irish coffee was served.

Stavanger, Norway
“A bit overpriced for the level of service and food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Didn't feel very welcomed when we came in, and it took a while before they came around to get our order. The starters were okay, but nothing out of the ordinary. For mains we had chicken risotto and a fillet steak. The risotto was a bit bland and dry. The steak was okay, but also a bit bland. We were also asked to change table between appetizers and mains. I was not a big deal, but they could have planned their seating better for the night. All in all not the best experience.

Cork, Ireland
“AVERAGE - NOTHING EXCITING”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

4 of us dined here recently. If I had seen the reviews beforehand I would not have darkened their door. However - it was Saturday night after a play in The Abbey - we were very hungry and freezing cold. Temple Bar (as usual) was heaving - people were spilling out on to the streets from bars and restaurants. We fancied pizza and Milanos was full - so we were thrilled when we spotted another Italian - Bruno's across from it. It was very quiet - just 2 other couples - at 9.30pm.

I spotted a typed sign on the window - "Early Bird' menu available all evening. We were given the menus when we went in - typed sheets of paper attached to a clipboard. It was like visiting a hospital!!!!!! We all chose from the Early Bird - which was the first sheet clipped to the front of the board. However the waitress told us that the price would be higher -as certainly, the Early Bird was available all evening - after 7pm the price went up!!!!!!!!!! Get your head around that one!!!!

Anyway - as we had ordered wine and we were settled - we decided to proceed and pay the difference. It is the strangest mix of food I have ever come across. I had Bruschetta - ok - but cold. Basil and olive oil dont sit well on cold toast. The Calamari and Chicken Wings were lovely. Our mains included Seafood Linguine (great), Irish Stew - I think my hubby was taking a trip down memory lane - he thought it was nice - he loves comfort food - so he was happy. Personally I thought it looked like dog food on a pile of porridge (potatoes). My sons had Lamb Shank and Pork Belly - they both thought they were very good. We also had 2 small carafes of their house wine. The bill was €118 plus tip. We didnt bother with coffees etc. If we had the early bird it would have worked out maybe €20 cheaper and we would have had dessert.

Almost forgot - the toilets are not great - like a kindergarten toilet with bad partitioning!!! We insisted on a seat away from the massive windows - if you sit here everything on your plate is visible outside

Most of the food was nice(ish). Staff were ok. Setting was forgettable. Nothing special. I wouldn't recommend it - as there are much better places to eat in Temple Bar.

• Visited January 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Cold but nice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Myself and my Boyfriend went here for dinner around 5.
We were offered lunch and dinner menus along with an early bird.

I had the dessert first which was a chocolate brownie. It was Lovely. It came with Ice cream and it was warm. He had a tiramisu which also went down well. First they lady serving us only brought out one tiramisu. She thought we were going to share. She didnt listen when we ordered.

We then had starters and mains. I had fish for starters, Mussels. They were not as clean as I would like and it looked like they had been sitting out for a bit as the sauce had a little skin on the top. They were not as Hot as I would of liked but they were warm. I then had a steak. I had asked for it to be medium to rare. It was well done. I ate it anyway as I dont like to send things back. He had the Chicken. He was still giving out about the lentils later that night.
We each had one coke. The whole time we were there we were cold. I didnt like this.

I was ill later that night and still didnt feel great the next morning. I blame the fish :(

The one good thing about this place was the pirce. It was less then 50 euro for the 2 of us. They have a set meal you can pick off and it was nice and cheap.

• Visited January 2013