“Good for its purpose!”

Times Hostels - College Street
Ranked #21 of 119 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Tiny but clean, and safe! Definitely not our nicest stop but great for just one night. Perfect location right next to Trinity College. Had to look hard for parking (nothing was cheap) but we survived. Two great features included the spacious lobby with friendly staff and the dining hall.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Times Hostels - College Street

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Located in the heart of Dublin city centre, this hostel provided everything we needed for our brief stay.

The rooms were basic but clean. The shower was hot and had good pressure. The TV didn't work but the staff said they could ask someone to fix it if we wanted... We didn't but it was nice of them to offer.

The staff were very helpful and very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Really enjoyed the last few days at the Times. As far as facilities go the place is great; fully equipped kitchen, common area, free WIFI - which is great (in places). The rooms also come with a massive lockable cage underneath which will lock up pretty much everything - including full sized luggage. In regards to cleanliness; no complaints - sheets were clean and the houseman came in and did a good job of the rooms, bathrooms and common areas.

Best part about this place really was the staff though. I've worked in luxury hotels for eight years so I always have a pretty high expectation around service - even at hostels. Leah, Ciara and Nicole(Nicola?) were always really helpful with directions, information and just great to chat with. (+ the lobby music was always awesome)

Couple minor things with this place that I will mention as this is a review. The breakfast isn't included, which it isn't always with hostels. I thought it was lacking a little bit as far as value - being 3 euro for a continental (cereal, toast, etc). That being said. The hostel does put on free kitchen events most nights at 20:00 such as free ice cream, dinner, wine and cheese - so that was pretty great too.

One thing that can't really be helped here in noise - which is what you sacrifice for a central location - as it is located on College Street there is constant traffic throughout the day/night. There's also these cheesy viking tours that pass by screaming throughout the day - oh Dublin. I did end extending my stay and moving rooms to the inside of the building on the bottom floor. The WIFI barely worked from here but it was much cooler and quieter than the south facing rooms. I would definitely recommend putting in a request for this side if your planning on staying.

Over all,

Times Hostel = Killin it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the inside of the building. I stayed in 3a which was one of the 10 bed dorms. Y...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We had a great stay at Times Hostel, everything was just perfect, the heating system, the hot showers, the room etc.
The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Overall, we had an awesome time. I would definitely go back :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed here in May 2014. I didn't realise that I was staying over in a bank holiday weekend in Ireland. The Times Hostel was one of the cheapest places I could find as the prices were sky were high. I haven't stayed in a hostel before so I was a little nervous as I thought it was going to be a hole but I was very surprised. I arrived very early and greeted by a lovely girl on reception. There was no problem at all with leaving our baggage until we could check in.
The room was basic, but that was expected. Clean enough though. The shower was amazing! I have found previously that showers in hotels never get very hot and can be quite poor but this one was fantastic! Very powerful and very hot, just what you needed after a busy day walking around Dublin!!
The breakfast wasn't bad either. Again basic, with toast, cereal and fruit but for the price you cant complain.
Great location as well, right at the top of Temple bar, with Doyles pub next door for a drink. Really central.
My only complaint is they could have a mirror in the bedroom area. Trying to dry my hair with dryer plugged in a socket in the bedroom and using a mirror in the bathroom was difficult.

Word of warning : It can get very noisy here though as its full of young backpackers ect and we did have one morning when someone was banging on doors at 5am even though the hostel asks you to be quiet after 11pm !!

I would stay here again though.

Room Tip: Be prepaid for noise !!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Enjoyed a pleasant stay at the Times Hostel - College Street, with a big group of friends on a stag do.

The location is perfect as you are right in the city centre, allowing quick access to restaurants, shops, bars and clubs amongst the more famous sites. The service from the staff was flawless, with a big thank you to Leah who was one of the most helpful and friendly customer assistants I have had the pleasure of dealing with.

Our group was staying in 2 separate rooms which I both found to be clean, tidy and in perfectly acceptable conditions for a hostel. What little sleep we managed each (very late) night was on basic but comfy and clean beds There was also a selection of food put out for breakfast/lunch, free WIFI and lockable storage for bags.

For the location, service and price it represents good value for money and I would gladly go back if I was looking to keep costs down for a future visit to Dublin.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends