“Alright, room was pretty dirty”

Times Hostels - College Street
Ranked #22 of 117 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
“Alright, room was pretty dirty”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed at the hostel in a four bed room, for about a week. It was fine at first, the workers were really friendly and helped us find our way. It wasnt untill we got to our room that we discover another man was sharing it with us, that was fine BUT the bathroom was dirty, and we even noticed when that man checked out that day that the bathroom or even his bed got cleaned..... Later that day two new people came and slept in the unclean bed, the bathroom was still NOT clean. That made me and my friend uncomfortable to sleep in the beds.

Overall the area was the best to be in, it was close to shopping centers and pubs, the cost of the hostel was way worth it, i recommend to bring your own pillow case and bathroom cleaner.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My partner and I shared a four bedroom mixed dorm with another couple. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly. The room was really noisy at night - maybe we got the noisiest room - but it's what you would expect from central Dublin. Great location. A bonus was the free dinner on Wednesday night. Simple but tasty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ingolstadt, Germany
Reviewed July 10, 2013

On June 26, 2013 my husband, our 23mths baby & I had a night flight from Germany and with all the airport car rent arrangement, we arrived at 23.40 in the Times Hostel. We've booked & paid 1 private double room (en suite) for 2N a week ago, also informed already about the late check-in. The Front Officer gave us a room key and as my husband opened the door, a couple was there on the bed!! When we said sorry, for our surprise, the couple answered: "No worries, same thing happened to us!". We told the story to the F/O staff, then he himself went up and opened the same room, asked the couple to show their ID card and even tried to dislodge them, with a reason: system failure! Unbelievable... The couple insisted to stay in that room as they've also booked&paid 1 week before. And so on... The same tragedy was happened to 3 other rooms. As my husband and the staff went down stairs to clarify the problem (he called his boss, colleague, etc), I sat on the floor in the middle of the narrow corridor, carried my sleeping exhausted baby on my arms. Well, we were all actually exhausted! It was about 02.00 in the morning, when we were finally allowed to come inside a 6 bunk-bed-room, where only one young American man was sleeping there. The next night, we had our right back to sleep in en-suite. It was an inconvenience experience though... We've often slept in hostels, but never experience such as this trouble. We are very disappointed :(

Room Tip: It's recommended for family and couple to choose en-suite at the 4 stage in the corner, quite qu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Times Hostel in Dublin was right by Trinity College and Temple Bar. My bed was on a slanted for and not very comfortable, but the location made up for it. They have tours, a bar crawl and a shuttle to the airport. The kitchen is nice too. Overall good place to be.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Don't get me wrong, you cannot beat this location. Minutes from Temple Bar area, and near tons of shopping.

The staff was very friendly when we arrived, and gave us suggestions for the day as well as let us store our bags for free.

However when we got to our rooms they were pretty messy, especially the bathroom. Granted this is the peoples staying there's fault more so than the hostel but I wish they had more control over the cleanliness.

Other problem was nights were very loud due to street noise from partiers. If you are a light sleeper you should probably drink yourself into an alcohol induced sleep first.

Other than that it was an average city Centre hostel. I think I'd choose a hotel if I ever stayed in Dublin again.

• Stayed June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hostel is conveniently located, and the staff is very friendly, but our beds were dirty. Our sheets had small black dots on them and yellow stains. We arrived at the hostel very late and my friend had an idea just to rent more towels and put them on top of the bed so we could sleep on the towels which were hopefully cleaner, but they had run out of towels. We had no choice but to check out and go some place else. The hotel attendant was so nice that we felt bad actually telling them why we were leaving but it was just gross. The halls and rooms were smelly as well.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've stayed at the Times Hostel on College Street three times now, and have been impressed with every stay. There is 24-hour reception, and all of the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The location of this hostel is perfect for sight seeing, as well as hitting the pubs at night. So close to Grafton st. for shopping, Temple Bar for going out, and some beautiful spots like St. Stpehens Green as well as a ton of historical monuments. I went on several day tours while I was in Dublin the second time, and some left pretty early in the morning. Lucky for me the hostel was only a 5 minute walk from where the majority of tours leave from in Dublin, meaning I got to sleep in as late as possible after a late night out in Temple Bar. The rooms are all very clean, and there is a fully stocked kitchen available as well as free wifi and a great pub right next door (Doyle's) so you only have mere feet to stumble at the end of the night.

Highly recommended for young travellers, also would work well solo as people are always hanging out in the kitchen/lounge area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends