“Use Healy Tours and Public busses”
Review of Paddywagon Tours

Cliffs of Moher, King John's Castle and the Burren Day Trip From Dublin
Ranked #29 of 226 Tours in Dublin
Pleasanton CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Use Healy Tours and Public busses”
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I see many travelers have had the same experience we did. We used Paddy Wagon Tours for a day trip from Dublin to Galway. What a scarey experience, and frustrating!
We were herded onto a bus at 6:00 am by a very young driver who told us little to nothing about what were were seeing. Most others on the bus fell asleep but I didn't and I watched as the driver nearly dozed off several times. It was raining very hard and was very frightening. He drove too fast, had the radio BLASTING through the bus most of the trip and spoke on his cell phone most of the time. We have laws against that in California.
My husband and I were on the tour to Aran Islands. However, when we got to Galway, everyone was ordered off the bus and told where to meet up with another bus for their tour. When we asked about the Aran Islands tour we were told we were on the wrong tour. The driver offered to take out and drop us off at the ferry but we probably wouldn't like the trip out there anyway.
The REAL story was obvious. We were the only ones booked for the Aran Islands tour so they figured they would just (oops) book us on the other tour to Conemarra (sp?) which was actually being handled by Healy tours in Galway. Then they used the Paddy Wagon bus for the Healy tour and the larger Healy bus for another tour. We agreed to take the Conemarra tour if they would reimburse us the difference, which they did. (We should have insisted on all our money back).
We did enjoy the Healy tour of Conemarra. The driver was very knowlegable and friendly.
However, he was not used to driving a standard transmission and I think he broke the transmission when we got back to Galway. Which was actually a good thing. The driver couldn't go more than about 45 mph all the way back to Dublin! (He kept asking if the Healy driver had problems with the bus, we just said no).
We spoke with a woman on our tour who had also booked Aran Islands the previous day and was (oops) put on antoher tour instead.

1 Thank Ausideb57

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The worse day tour that we have ever been on (Belfast 9-19-09)”
Reviewed November 1, 2009

We have never experienced such a terrible tour. The small bus had major problems with its airconditioner - it stayed on full blast through out the entire trip freezing us; the pa system on the bus failed; the seat belts would not work; and the driver/guide spent most of his time on his cell phone. At one stop we returned to bus to find him reading a newspaper and at another he disappeared all together. In Belfast he left us to a Black Cab tour which lasted 30 minutes with 3 stops and little in the way of anything else. The cab drivers left us off to wander the downtown streets in the cool showers for several hours of waiting for our freezing bus trip back to Dublin. Our Driver had to stop off to visit a friend. Filing written complaints with Paddywagon Tours have proved fruitless and emails has brought no comments either. Their Irish guarantee appears worthless.

2 Thank IrelandMichigan
Abilene, Texas
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“nice tour; nightmare logistics”
Reviewed October 12, 2009

First, the good:
The tour itself was great. I made friends from around the world and saw the gorgeous countryside of Ireland. I saw more than if I'd attempted to strike out myself. The driver didn't strictly follow the itinerary on the website, but I didn't mind. I enjoyed every bit of what I saw. In general, I think the three-day tour would be great.

Now, the bad:
I don't recommend the two-day tour, because the logistics are poor. I was told the wrong departure time; had to wait for 2 hours to switch buses; and was 3 hours late returning to Dublin--which caused me to miss my flight.

The prices on their website were also different from the prices in their brochure. My credit card was charged a different amount from the receipt I received. This was partly because my credit card didn't go through online, and they had to book it for me.

I have tried repeatedly over the past 3 months to get someone from Paddywagon to respond to my concerns and refund some of my unexpected trip cost. I haven't heard a word.

I have never posted a negative review before, but I have been very dissastisfied with the logistics and customer service from Paddywagon.

However, if you are just going on a basic one or three-day tour, I think you should be okay. Book online or at your hostel once you arrive in Dublin. Don't plan to depart the night after your tour returns, no matter what time Paddywagon says you'll get back.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“6-Day All Ireland Tour -Paddywagon Tours”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We flew via Aer Lingus to Dublin, Ireland to do the 6-day all Ireland tour. Overall, it was a great trip with SO much to see. The itenerary was changed slightly to accomodate another tour, but by the 3rd day we were back on track. We all kept a really open mind to the hostels, which were shabby at best. But for the price, you cant complain. They were clean and bug-free (which was all that I cared about). We got lucky travelling with 5 people we always had a room together, often by ourselves our sharing with a few others. The thing is to room with the ones who will respect the noise level when others are sleeping! The places we went to, Belfast, Galway, Derry, Dingle, Kerry, just to name a few..are absolutely breathtaking. Giant's Causeway and the Cliffs of Moher are the most beautiful places I have ever been to. Dress in layers as the weather can go from hot and sunny to cold and rainy in a matter of hours. The pub culture is like no other and the best part is how much we learned about the political strife and the way of life for most of those who live in Ireland. If you don't mind shabby accomodations and a rigorous tour of sightseeing (everyday you are in a new city) This tour is for you. The only downfall is that we would often go into the new city at 6pm when everything closes, so all that would be left to do is dinner or a pub. So for any shopaholics out there this was a big negative of the tour! But you do get allotted time to do things on your own time. The tour guides have a wealth of knowledge and it is apparent that they love what they do. They will poiint out the nice pubs or the nice places to go on your own time. I would visit Galway and Belfast again those were my favorite cities for the nightlfie and shopping and overall feel of the city. One downfall, you do not spend alot of time in Dublin so you might want to add on an extra day on your own time after the tour is done so you can experience more of Dublin. I wouldn't do the 6 day all Ireland tour again, however. I would spend 6 days in just Northern or 6 days in just Southern, so theres less travelling on a bus and more time to walk around and explore the cities on your own time.

1 Thank 2bella4u
Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Paddywagon Day tours”
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We took the Paddywagon Day trip to Galway/Connemara from Dublin. It was the worst day trip we have ever been on. Once in Galway we were passed of to Healy tours which was actually very pleasant. Our driver "Sean' with Paddywagon drove the mini coach like an idiot. All our fellow passengers complained about his driving.
He also blasted us with dance hip hop and rap music for the three hour trip to Galway starting at 6am, instead of the regular traditional music you normally get on such trips. Three hours on the coach and no bathroom stop.
We declined to get back on the coach with Sean at the end of the day and instead paid 20 Euro to another coach to get back to Dublin.

4 Thank markandmarney