“Wonderful 6 Day All-Ireland Private Tour!”
Review of Paddywagon Tours

Dublin Shore Excursion: Dublin and Glendalough
Ranked #26 of 235 Tours in Dublin
Akron, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful 6 Day All-Ireland Private Tour!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

First of all, although everyone in our group had an amazing time, I think some travelers may not be suited to a tour like this. If you are looking for 5 star hotels, 2 - 3 days in each city, lots of shopping and a tour guide holding your hand the entire trip -- Paddywagon isn't for you.
If, however, you are somewhat independent, enjoy exploring, entertainment and restaurants on your own during the evening, relish a good breakfast, like a soft, cozy bed with thick, luxurious duvets, fancy learning the history and stories of the Emerald Isle, want to personalize your own tour, and appreciate a bargain -- then Paddywagon is exactly what you're looking for. You just have to realize that with only 6 days, you're not going to get an in-depth experience, but instead, a pretty good glimpse. We were a mixed group of 8 (until Killarney, anyway) adults, family and friends, ranging from 35 - 60 years old. Our dilemma was:
We wanted to see as much of Ireland as possible
We only had 7 days (including air travel from U.S.)
We didn't want to drive
We wanted to learn about the history and myths of Ireland from someone who lives there
The guys wanted to golf at least twice
We wanted to pick up a friend visiting from England along the way
We were on a budget
I spent a lot of time reviewing different options -- rail, group tours and private tours. Paddywagon was easy to work with and really allowed our group to do everything we wanted.at a very reasonable price. We chose the 6 day All-Ireland deluxe tour that included bed & breakfast accommodations and a full Irish breakfast every morning. We were picked up at the airport and headed straight to Belfast, where we took cab tour of the city walls, then visited Titanic Experience. Both were deeply moving and educational.
Was our 6 day tour perfect? The only thing that didn't go well was breakfast in Belfast; the restaurant that we were directed to go to wasn't open and didn't look like it had been open for awhile, and we didn't have time to try looking around for another place to eat at our own cost. However, it was off-season in mid-October. Luckily we had leftovers from Ryan's Restaurant - terrific food, right down the road - and we heated it in microwave. That was the only snafu the whole trip. As for all the accommodations, the Titanic Apartments in Belfast looked a little shabby on the outside, but was really roomy and comfortable, as were all the B & B's we were at. After Belfast, on the way to Derry, we dropped the guys off at Ballycastle Golf Club and our driver, Joe, took us gals to the Carrick-A-Rede Bridge and Giant's Causeway. Joe was TERRIFIC!!!! He was a little older than most of the drivers at Paddywagon, but he sure knows the stories and history of every area we went to. He also pointed out the best spots to head to in the evenings. From Derry, we headed to Donegal on the way to Galway, where we partied in the Latin Quarter at night -- great shopping there, too. Stayed .in an adorable thatched B & B the next night in Annascaul on the Dingle coast.. It was too late for food at most places, but there was a small bar open that had very good pizza, and afterwards we went to South Pole Inn for drinks; fell in love with Tom Creen beer -- good stuff. Great breakfast in morning, as were all of them. After breakfast, Joe dropped some of our party off at Dingle Golf Club (Ceann Sibéal), them took the rest of us to Dingle to shop and explore. Our last night was in Killarney, where we picked up a friend visiting from England, In the morning, we went to Blarney Castle and back to Dublin, where we took the Guinness factory tour, then Joe dropped us off at our hotel. Paddtwagon even picked us up at our hotel and took us to airport the next morning. If anyone is looking for a way to personalize a trip to Ireland, consider Paddywagon Tours. Charlie at Paddywagon really went out of his way to customize our tour, and in return, made this the trip of a lifetime. I am planning on going back some day and taking the 9 day All-Ireland

Visited October 2013

88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Cliffs of Moher”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I did the day tour of the Cliffs of Moher - this is a must see when in Dublin. It is roughly a 3 hour trip as you are travelling to the Western side of the country but it is worth it.

The tour itself is nothing special - while our driver Sean was mildly entertaining - I did feel it was a bit of an act as it was a little over the top but I figure that is their job. Generally I am not into bus tour groups as I feel like cattle going through all stops never having enough time to do everything you want to but as this was a long haul - I had no other option.

Don't get me wrong - there is nothing wrong with this tour company - Cliffs of Moher is amazing and a must see when in Dublin.

1 Thank guch007
Stamford, Connecticut
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Kilkenny and Wicklow Mountains from Dublin”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Awesome trip! Our guide, Martin, was so informative and interesting. My friends and I went on the Cliffs of Moher trip the day before (which was also great), but were amazed at the value of this trip for the small cost we paid. Paddywagon will pick you up at one of three central locations in Dublin, which is very convenient. A fair amount of the tour is viewed on the bus, but there are a few beautiful stops on the way, including Glendalough. The mountains of Wicklow are gorgeous, and Kilkenny is such a lovely city to visit. I'd highly recommend stopping in for a tour of Kilkenny Castle-beautifully restored and only 2.5 euros for students! All around, I found my experience with the two trips to be a great way to see Ireland outside of Dublin, which is a must!

Yakima, Washington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Belfast & Titanic Tour”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This tour would be very worthwhile for anyone interested in the Titanic story.
Our tour today was exceptional because our driver/tour guide "Sean" was absolutely the best.
Very informative and interesting and he did not do a routine where he appeared to be an entertainer/singer wannabe with a captive audience.

1 Thank dcraigen
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“6 Day all Ireland tour!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

As a solo traveller I was nervous about going on a tour out of fear all groups and couples would stick to themselves! I could not have been more wrong, our group of 19, regardless of age or group size quickly became a little paddywagon family! Our tour driver Barry Hanley was instrumental in this happening I believe! He was engaging, knowledgeable and funny, with just enough of that Irish charm to make the entire group feel comfortable and at ease!

He delivered a wealth of knowledge about Ireland's history, current affairs and general interesting facts in easy to digest chunks and was evidently very passionate about the information he was sharing and country he was showing!

He gave recommendations at every stop of fun things to do for many different budgets! Speaking of budgets, I found this trip to be such excellent value for money! I choose the hostel option and found every stops accommodation to be comfortable and clean! The activities that were included were fantastic and any optional extras were well priced and worth the extra cash!

The coach was clean and comfortable, and although there was no toilet on board, you just had to ask and within 20 minutes, Barry would have made a stop!

I cannot say enough good things about this tour and the company. As I continue my travels around Europe I find myself recommending it to all I meet who are venturing to Ireland and will continue to recommend it when I venture home!